TSSAA BOC Meeting...Mercy rule changed

VOLnWTN

20 minutes ago, VOLnWTN said:

SMH.  Go tell that to Bruceton, Gleason, Greenfield, and any other small town who, regardless of record, their stands are packed on Friday nights.  These kids that put those pads on live for Friday nights, and so do these small towns. And, yes.  I know listed 1A schools, but this applies to larger schools/communities as well. 

Yea I couldn't agree more. At the end of the day this is high school kids who love the sport just as much as the guys from Oakland, and other powerhouses. Red Boiling Springs has had 13-16 kids total on their football team at times and they take the field as happy as can be. Does it suck for those guys, to me it does but to them Fridays are the best nights of the week. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, GBO52 said:

Yea I couldn't agree more. At the end of the day this is high school kids who love the sport just as much as the guys from Oakland, and other powerhouses. Red Boiling Springs has had 13-16 kids total on their football team at times and they take the field as happy as can be. Does it suck for those guys, to me it does but to them Fridays are the best nights of the week. 

For that matter....I am in McKenzie.  We have been fortunate to have a successful program for many years.  But I have been here through the lean years as well, and still packed house on Friday night.

The kids in this area, especially small towns in Morgan County, they live for Friday nights. I've seen Oakdale and Sunbright with some pretty lean years in terms of depth, but to even suggest shutting football down to them? That'd be like slapping your mother. Sports is the lifeblood of places like that, regardless of whatever the record is.

As for the original topic itself, I get why they lowered the mercy rule score, but it should have been to 32 or 33. 30 just lowers the bar a bit too much to me.

20 hours ago, Southtowner said:

It's still 5 touchdowns but without any successful P.A.Ts.   I think I wouldn't have lowered it past 33 possibly 32.  At least allow for a couple made extra points.  

I always thought coaches should have the option to wave off the Mercy Rule.

15 hours ago, MIA1 said:

If a team has the mercy rule applied to them 5 times or more for two seasons in a row then they should have to give up football for 2 years.  We have 6 levels now.  Have for a long time.  There is no excuse for keeping a program around like that.  Possibly, an exception could be made for 1A but only if they have an enrollment of less than 200.

You do realize that HS football is there for the kids, right? It's easy for you to throw some elitist comment out there that degrades struggling programs, but what isn't easy is to elevate struggling programs into a competitive team every night of the season. One last thing, football is elective...kids aren't forced to participate in an activity that you obviously think is an embarrassment to them if they don't achieve a certain level of success, but if they do elect to play, they get the same sense of belonging, the same tutelage and mentorship, the same physical fitness, and the same commitment of their time away from elements of society detrimental to them becoming productive citizens. Take the option to play, even for a "bad" (your perception) team, away from those who wish to play and you've taken something from them that you can't replace.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

You do realize that HS football is there for the kids, right? It's easy for you to throw some elitist comment out there that degrades struggling programs, but what isn't easy is to elevate struggling programs into a competitive team every night of the season. One last thing, football is elective...kids aren't forced to participate in an activity that you obviously think is an embarrassment to them if they don't achieve a certain level of success, but if they do elect to play, they get the same sense of belonging, the same tutelage and mentorship, the same physical fitness, and the same commitment of their time away from elements of society detrimental to them becoming productive citizens. Take the option to play, even for a "bad" (your perception) team, away from those who wish to play and you've taken something from them that you can't replace.

Well said! 

On 6/13/2022 at 8:34 PM, MIA1 said:

If a team has the mercy rule applied to them 5 times or more for two seasons in a row then they should have to give up football for 2 years.  We have 6 levels now.  Have for a long time.  There is no excuse for keeping a program around like that.  Possibly, an exception could be made for 1A but only if they have an enrollment of less than 200.

Wow….this almost one of those “Tell me you didn’t play high school football” without saying you didn’t play high school football.

The Mercy Rule is the second best rule change in high school football.  The best rule change is the 40 second play clock.  And for those of you that complain about your younger players not getting reps, go schedule JV/freshman games with the larger schools (public or private) in your area.  You'll get all the reps you want.

• Like 2

albert-einstein-lol.gif

22 hours ago, tradertwo said:

5ap.gif

On 6/14/2022 at 9:23 AM, VOLnWTN said:

SMH.  Go tell that to Bruceton, Gleason, Greenfield, and any other small town who, regardless of record, their stands are packed on Friday nights.  These kids that put those pads on live for Friday nights, and so do these small towns. And, yes.  I know listed 1A schools, but this applies to larger schools/communities as well. 

Great point. There is a much bigger picture than wins and losses.