TSSAA BOC Meeting...Mercy rule changed

VOLnWTN

On 6/14/2022 at 12:42 PM, rlh said:

I always thought coaches should have the option to wave off the Mercy Rule.

Many moons ago, before Tennessee had an official mercy rule, a program I was with was playing their arch rivals. We were up 54-0 at halftime. Our HC on the walk to the locker room ask the rival coach “Coach, do want to play with a running clock in the 2nd half?” The coach replied “No, you S.O.B. I don’t want a running clock!” Our coach didn’t respond, he just opened our locker room door, spotted the OC, and said “Coach, keep the 1’s in and pour it on ‘em!” When it got to 75-0 he decided to call the dogs off. Probably an unpopular opinion, but I have always felt that when a lead reaches 50 points, the game should be ended. 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 3:42 PM, VOLnWTN said:

The mercy rule will now be 30 points and a running clock the second half. 

As a fan who has been on both ends of this.  There is both a good and bad reason for the mercy rule of course it can keep the scores from getting way out of control.

However it also hurts especially with it being so hard to schedule JV Games not being able to get young guys a lot of experience with the clock running but also those upperclassmen who have stuck with the program but never gets a lot of regular playing time.  

• Like 2

On 6/16/2022 at 3:42 PM, Sequatchie said:

As a fan who has been on both ends of this.  There is both a good and bad reason for the mercy rule of course it can keep the scores from getting way out of control.

However it also hurts especially with it being so hard to schedule JV Games not being able to get young guys a lot of experience with the clock running but also those upperclassmen who have stuck with the program but never gets a lot of regular playing time.  

With the rule change, JV and upper classmen who rarely play, get less opportunity on Friday Nights. Was a reason given to lower  the mercy rule from 5 scores to 4?  Eventually some team will fall short of a great comeback because the clock was running in the 3rd quarter. 

On 6/8/2022 at 4:17 PM, WarEagleCartman said:

I have a question maybe you will know the answer to. I have a buddy who's interested in becoming an official for either football or baseball if not both. How would one do that? Seems like a great fit to me he's knowledgeable and he has no allegiances to Tennessee schools because he's from out of state. 

theres a lobotomy procedure. once he signs the waivers he will be in the pipeline

8 hours ago, Sidelinehustler said:

I can’t recall seeing a high school team come back from a 30 point deficit. I’m not saying it hasn’t happened, I just don’t remember seeing it. I’m sure someone will enlighten me on “when I played”.  Not making an argument either way, just saying. 

I’ve been in it for almost 40 years, and I can’t recall it either. 

19 hours ago, chs1984 said:

I’ve been in it for almost 40 years, and I can’t recall it either. 

Doesn't mean that it can't happen. We beat Riverside 52-0 in 2015 and went to the locker room in 2016 up 21-0...we thought the game was over and the Panthers didn't, and they came back to beat us 35-21. Point is, it was fine like it was.

Not sure about TN but miracle high school comebacks have gone viral recently. One Michigan school came back from a 30 and a 32 point deficit in back to back years. Bishop Gorman was down 24-7 with just over a minute left in their game and came back to win. As Trader2 said it was fine like it was. What problem are they solving? 

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/high-school/2017/10/16/inside-largest-high-school-football-comeback-state-history-ionia-bulldogs/767826001/

On 6/8/2022 at 4:17 PM, WarEagleCartman said:

I have a question maybe you will know the answer to. I have a buddy who's interested in becoming an official for either football or baseball if not both. How would one do that? Seems like a great fit to me he's knowledgeable and he has no allegiances to Tennessee schools because he's from out of state. 

My contact info is in my profile. If he contacts me, I'd be happy to help him. Registration is going on now, so this is the time to act.

On 6/26/2022 at 11:36 AM, Sidelinehustler said:

I can’t recall seeing a high school team come back from a 30 point deficit. I’m not saying it hasn’t happened, I just don’t remember seeing it. I’m sure someone will enlighten me on “when I played”.  Not making an argument either way, just saying. 

Seen one come back from 29 down to lead by 10 with 2 minutes left... and lose on a last-second field goal. Craziest game I have ever covered.