Boys/Girls Junior National Duals Begin Tomorrow

TNUSAWrestling

The reason is Folkstyle is still growing In TN on the girls side of wrestling and so there needs to be coaches at all schools that have girls on the team to focus only on the girls. Getting girls into freestyle when they are also learning folkstyle or getting them to wrestle year around is also challenging. 

The wide area of wrestling for girls in TN is spread out between locations it’s difficult to bring all those top in the state wrestlers to every event and also allow them to get matches. 

TN pioneered girls wrestling yes but they also get pushed to the back of the line if they do not have a full girls line up.  At school programs.

ticknor coaches all girls no matter their skill or accolades he will treat them all the same. He does not do it for personal gain he does it for the benefit of the girls who choose to wrestle and provides them an opportunity to wrestle. 

14 hours ago, dontstopbelieving said:

3 duals for the girls team today and only 3 individuals wins between all three duals... not a very good look for a state that was supposed to be one of the pioneers of women's wrestling.

For multiple reasons, a lot of the top girls skipped this event.  A bunch of injuries, girls prepping for Fargo, other sports, etc. We have work to do on getting the best girls out for sure.

However, for all the talk of those other coaches mentioned above, almost no one from their programs participated. I will say TT is a good coach to have out there with an awesome 'stache to boot.

Edited by JSamson7
  • Upvote 1

Ticknor has been involved with the National Girls team since he moved here after the Marines.He also coached the National Girls team in Michigan. He has been coaching at Siegel since then. I know that the girls team had multiple girls dropout last minute. I also know some girls that normally would wrestle did not wrestle due to injury and preparing for Fargo. I truthfully dont see how going to a national duals tournament isn't viewed as preparing for Fargo. 

Im sure if any other girl coaches wanted to step up and help that it would be welcomed. I think the Girl Coaches should be pushing their athletes to go represent the state. If coaches encouraged the girls to wrestle on these teams then maybe having holes wouldn't be an issue.  

Edited by CoachCTaylor
  • Upvote 1

Multiple emails and messages were sent out about this duals tournament. Flyers were handed out at the state event. 

Multiple girls backed out due to personal reasons, injuries, other obligations. And we were not going to turn down the opportunity for those who committed and kept their commitment. The girls who kept their commitment are young but are gaining valuable experience while filling in for those veterans we usually have. 

As far as some of these other coaches you mentioned. How many of them have coached or had girls participate in TNUSA. Bosken is maybe the only one from the list I saw earlier. As the women’s director, I have reached out multiple times to these (and many other) coaches to get involvement and very few have answered the call or stepped up. 
So maybe these coaches just don’t want to be involved with FS. Maybe you should figure out why they didn’t step up instead of just assuming Ticknor is a fill in. 

As far as Ticknor, it would be hard to find another coach more actively involved and enthusiastic about girls wrestling. He was one of only two TN coaches willing to coach girls at Fargo in 2019 (when he first started in TN) and has been a constant ever since. He not only coaches Siegel’s girls but also anybody who is wanting help. He goes above and beyond for the team and all of the athletes respect him and his coaching. 

If you can coach the team better than him, please step up next time I reach out for help at the national level. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

19 hours ago, dontstopbelieving said:

3 duals for the girls team today and only 3 individuals wins between all three duals... not a very good look for a state that was supposed to be one of the pioneers of women's wrestling.

We are aware, that’s  what happens when you have a new inexperienced team, they are all getting reps and they are all improving. We need to work together to make a difference! 

On 6/15/2022 at 6:31 AM, cbg said:

IMO there is absolutely zero reason to take any team (boys or girls) to a national duals tournament if 90% of the weight classifications are not filled .  If this is true it is a complete waste of money!

Completely disagree, if you want to become the best you must wrestle the best being from Michigan the only way to improve TN as a state is to travel to the hardest tournaments in the country. This allows wrestlers to get film against other states on what they personally need to work on.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, KidGloves said:

Wait. Siegel placed 25th in girls and 23rd in boys at this year’s state tournament. So this was their best coaching option? With a Bosken, Jenna Morris, or either girls coach from Clarksville or Rossview sitting out there? Did they not want it?

i again mean no disrespect, but I hate to think that a National team coaching position is a “pulse and you have it” slot. 

TN needs them. I am no means the best coach but I'm always improving like I preach to all my wrestlers. I have an opportunity to help grow TN and I’m doing my very best. Together we can build a dominant women’s and men’s programs. 

• Upvote 2

The biggest take away from this weekend is that there are tons of girls who want to wrestle and represent their state. The girls program will only grow by giving opportunities to those who want to compete. 
If we only take teams and give opportunities to those who you may consider “good enough”, then what happens when they’re gone? Then we will be back at square one with inexperienced athletes. 
Our vision for the TNUSA Girls is to continue to grow our numbers and experience. We want to be able to put as many competitive teams together as possible not only at the High School level, but at the younger age groups as well. 

But again, you can’t grow the organization without developing and giving kids opportunities