Enrollment Numbers

Enrollment numbers will be due in September for the next classification period.

Also, with new Executive Director,  Mark Reeves stepping in to replace Bernard Childress,  (aka Chilly to message board folks), will there be any differences or anything new on the horizon. 

With gas prices at a record high and enrollment numbers due it has me thinking out loud the way I do at times. Could higher prices at the pumps give TSSAA and of course the schools some pause and consider going back to the Z plan?

Z plan for the regular season (A/AA, AAA/AAAA, &  AAAAA/AAAAAA,  then sub classes for the playoffs.  1A , 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A, & 6A.

Also, will we stay on a 2 year classification period or return to 4 years.  

As volatile as things are, I would expect to stay on a 2 year cycle.  But who know?

Thoughts? 

2 hours ago, VOLnWTN said:

Z Plan was horrid! No way they go back to that. So many mistakes with the bracket.  Coaches scheduling cupcakes because the overall record was a huge part of the Z-Plan.

I could see the 2 year cycle hanging around. 

Not that different from the way things are now. At least the Z-Plan kept it from being the same teams in the same round year after year. Z-Plan wasn't perfect, but with tweaks it'd be better than what's in place. 

At the rate this state is growing, 2 year cycles will work best

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Salem said:

Two year cycle and switch up the playoff pairings would be my only suggestions. Some teams meet every year in the same round. Would like to shake those matchups up. 

Could do something similar to Georgia, where the bracket is set to where a team from the same region won’t play each other until the semifinals. However, do to the geography of Tennessee maybe they could pair it up regions 1-4  and 5-8 like they do now but, each region sends a team to different pairings so the earliest a rematch could happen for regions is in the quarterfinals.

Or switch it up every year, play region 2 vs region 4 and region 1 vs region 3. Then the next year do region region 1 vs region 4 and region 2 vs region 3. Then rotate again. 

21 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

Not that different from the way things are now. At least the Z-Plan kept it from being the same teams in the same round year after year. Z-Plan wasn't perfect, but with tweaks it'd be better than what's in place. 

At the rate this state is growing, 2 year cycles will work best

You can polish a turd, but it is still a turd.  The Z plan was a huge one.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, The Drunken Sailor said:

I don't mind the 2 year cycles, but Z plan would have to be tweaked.  And by tweaked I mean overhauled. It can work, just not the way that they executed it before.

They could do something really novel and go to 4 classifications!  They don't have to be perfectly symmetrical. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Rhea Co. said:

Could do something similar to Georgia, where the bracket is set to where a team from the same region won’t play each other until the semifinals. However, do to the geography of Tennessee maybe they could pair it up regions 1-4  and 5-8 like they do now but, each region sends a team to different pairings so the earliest a rematch could happen for regions is in the quarterfinals.

Or switch it up every year, play region 2 vs region 4 and region 1 vs region 3. Then the next year do region region 1 vs region 4 and region 2 vs region 3. Then rotate again. 

Would enjoy that type of bracket. May take you somewhere you might had never got to go. Which at times is enjoyable.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Chargercats said:

Forgive me for being ignorant on this but what exactly was the Z Plan? 

1A and 2A were put into districts together for the regular season based on proximity to each other.  Then there was Voodoo math to determine the pairing to figure out where everyone went during the 1a and 2a playoffs.  For a couple of years SP was in a district with 2A Marion County and Signal Mtn (who was actually a 4A team that got under the numbers during classification.  During the playoffs during that stretch SP actually played Fayetteville and Columbia Academy in the playoffs.  In fact, Greenback played CA a couple of times in the playoffs. It ran for 6 seasons from 2009 to 2014.  In 2009 & 2010, South Pittsburg, Whitwell, Lookout Valley, Signal Mtn and Jasper were in the same district.

https://www.coacht.com/tennessee/inside/schedule.cfm?seasonid=84&schoolid=467&sportid=1

Signal Mtn was moved up the last 4 years of the Z plan.

Edited by rlh