Enrollment Numbers

1 hour ago, Chargercats said:

Forgive me for being ignorant on this but what exactly was the Z Plan? 

Milan and Covington were in the region together. In fact it was a 9 team region. We didn’t play all teams within the region. One year under the z plan Covington played in the 4A title game and Milan in the 3A and they were in the same region. Crazy. 

24 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Milan and Covington were in the region together. In fact it was a 9 team region. We didn’t play all teams within the region. One year under the z plan Covington played in the 4A title game and Milan in the 3A and they were in the same region. Crazy. 

Yeah and Knox West and Maryville both won the state 5A/6A titles out of the same district 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

That is crazy! I did not realize that! How did that even work?? LOL!! 

On 6/21/2022 at 2:38 PM, Southtowner said:

Enrollment numbers will be due in September for the next classification period.

Also, with new Executive Director,  Mark Reeves stepping in to replace Bernard Childress,  (aka Chilly to message board folks), will there be any differences or anything new on the horizon. 

With gas prices at a record high and enrollment numbers due it has me thinking out loud the way I do at times. Could higher prices at the pumps give TSSAA and of course the schools some pause and consider going back to the Z plan?

Z plan for the regular season (A/AA, AAA/AAAA, &  AAAAA/AAAAAA,  then sub classes for the playoffs.  1A , 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A, & 6A.

Also, will we stay on a 2 year classification period or return to 4 years.  

As volatile as things are, I would expect to stay on a 2 year cycle.  But who know?

Thoughts? 

The rumor is that something similar to the following plan is being considered to help with travel and expenses:

* Everyone is back together and there is no D1 & D2

Class A:  Small rural public schools; no private schools, magnet schools or charter schools

Class AA:  Publics schools, small private schools that do not offer financial aid or work study, charter schools and magnet schools

Class AAA:  Public schools, small private schools that offer financial aid, large public schools, charter schools and magnet schools

Class AAAA:  Large public schools and large private schools that offer financial aid

* Cross Country, track & field, wrestling, tennis, golf, (ALL INDIVIDUAL CHAMPIONSHIP SPORTS) would only crown one champion

This plan or something very similar has been discussed numerous times but with the cost of travel for not only the schools but also officials being so great I have once again heard that it is being seriously considered.  Let’s be honest and say that 9 state championship football games in a state with only 6.772 million people is ludicrous.  For reference purposes the population for both Atlanta, GA and Houston,TX is over 6 million people.

56 minutes ago, Chargercats said:

That is crazy! I did not realize that! How did that even work?? LOL!! 

For the regular season 1A/2A, 3A/4A and 5A/6A teams played together in region then they separated for the playoffs.  In regards to the playoffs teams were placed into 4 quads based on geography. For example quad 1 would be Far East TN and quad 4 would be West Tn. The teams that were region champs or region runner ups were guaranteed a playoff spot. The remaining spots were filled by teams with the best records. 

2 hours ago, cbg said:

The rumor is that something similar to the following plan is being considered to help with travel and expenses:

Class A:  Small rural public schools; no private schools, magnet schools or charter schools

Class AA:  Publics schools, small private schools that do not offer financial aid or work study, charter schools and magnet schools

Class AAA:  Public schools, small private schools that offer financial aid, large public schools, charter schools and magnet schools

Class AAAA:  Large public schools and large private schools that offer financial aid

* Cross Country, track & field, wrestling, tennis, golf, (ALL INDIVIDUAL CHAMPIONSHIP SPORTS) would only crown one champion

This plan or something very similar has been discussed numerous times but with the cost of travel for not only the schools but also officials being so great I have once again heard that it is being seriously considered.  Let’s be honest and say that 9 state championship football games in a state with only 6.772 million people is ludicrous.  For reference purposes the population for both Atlanta, GA and Houston,TX is over 6 million people.

I would support this, best idea I've seen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cbg said:

Again i am ignorant on this subject but as it stands now, are private schools able to legally recruit? If i understand correctly, and likely i do not, the private schools that are able to legally recruit play in a "private " playoff bracket? If a private school chooses to play with the public schools in the playoffs are they not allowed to legally recruit? 

My next question, will the private schools be able to legally recruit if TSSAA moves to the above mentioned plan? 

I do not have a major preference one way or the other, just honestly want to understand the system/plan. 

20 hours ago, Rhea Co. said:

Could do something similar to Georgia, where the bracket is set to where a team from the same region won’t play each other until the semifinals. However, do to the geography of Tennessee maybe they could pair it up regions 1-4  and 5-8 like they do now but, each region sends a team to different pairings so the earliest a rematch could happen for regions is in the quarterfinals.

Or switch it up every year, play region 2 vs region 4 and region 1 vs region 3. Then the next year do region region 1 vs region 4 and region 2 vs region 3. Then rotate again. 

I like this idea a lot. It would be fun to see the region match ups for the playoffs be swapped each year. That way the matchups at least change around a little bit. Good stuff here.

26 minutes ago, Chargercats said:

Again i am ignorant on this subject but as it stands now, are private schools able to legally recruit? If i understand correctly, and likely i do not, the private schools that are able to legally recruit play in a "private " playoff bracket? If a private school chooses to play with the public schools in the playoffs are they not allowed to legally recruit? 

My next question, will the private schools be able to legally recruit if TSSAA moves to the above mentioned plan? 

I do not have a major preference one way or the other, just honestly want to understand the system/plan. 

"ALL PRIVATE SCHOOLS CURRENTLY PARTICIPATE IN D2" (PRIVATE SCHOOL ONLY LEAGUE)

It is my understanding that NO school (Public or Private) is legally able to recruit!

3 hours ago, cbg said:

I have to admit this is also very interesting. The only thing I have concern about is the balance of powers with private and public schools mixed together. I think some people just would not be willing to go for that part. It might need to be 4 public classes and 2 private classes. That would still cut down a lot on travel and additional things. 

4 hours ago, cbg said:

Plan makes sense. 9 is too many. 9 is way too many. A public school with 2000 students to draw from shouldn't be afraid of any private school. 

• Like 2