Enrollment Numbers

1 minute ago, lakecounty1968 said:

The question to all of this is what the TSSAA is going to do. Are they going to divide classes evenly or use a hard number for a cutoff? Imo the hard number needs to be used. It groups the schools that have similar enrollments together better than even number of teams in each class. 

There are good points to that, and some bad ones...if you use a hard and fast cutoff number, who sets it? There's potential for some underhandedness in setting the cutoff on the front end, and even more for "adjusting" to that number if you're reporting to TSSAA. I sort of like the TSSAA's proposal regarding not being classified with schools twice the enrollment, but think that it would be better to start on the bottom end and work upward than start with the largest and work down. My logic is there's a smaller advantage between 2,800 students and 1,400 if we're talking about selecting 80 kids to play football than there is a 200 vs. 400 enrollment finding 11 "good" athletes to put on the field every snap.

• Upvote 3

Just now, tradertwo said:

There are good points to that, and some bad ones...if you use a hard and fast cutoff number, who sets it? There's potential for some underhandedness in setting the cutoff on the front end, and even more for "adjusting" to that number if you're reporting to TSSAA. I sort of like the TSSAA's proposal regarding not being classified with schools twice the enrollment, but think that it would be better to start on the bottom end and work upward than start with the largest and work down. My logic is there's a smaller advantage between 2,800 students and 1,400 if we're talking about selecting 80 kids to play football than there is a 200 vs. 400 enrollment finding 11 "good" athletes to put on the field every snap.

I totally agree. They should start at the bottom and work there way up but if they go that route then they will start at the top. The TSSAA has a hard time doing what is right. Looking at some of the enrollment numbers I have alot questions with some certain schools. One school in local area has dropped 110 kids since the last enrollment cycle. They turned there enrollment in in August. I have a hard time believing with the size of that town that they dropped that many students. I think a surprise count of some schools should happen if in question. That's just me speculating about this school. 

Just looking at the numbers, if the TSSAA proposal was ever used they would have to start from the top.  If you start from the bottom you get to more than double the enrollment very quickly. For example Oakdale at 136, Copper Basin at 154, Coalfield at 160 and Cloudland at 161 would not be in the same class as Cornersville, Sale Creek, Whitwell and in Oakdale’s case, South Pitt. In my mind all of those schools belong in the lowest classification, but by starting from the bottom some very small schools get pushed up to 2A.

49 minutes ago, lakecounty1968 said:

I totally agree. They should start at the bottom and work there way up but if they go that route then they will start at the top. The TSSAA has a hard time doing what is right. Looking at some of the enrollment numbers I have alot questions with some certain schools. One school in local area has dropped 110 kids since the last enrollment cycle. They turned there enrollment in in August. I have a hard time believing with the size of that town that they dropped that many students. I think a surprise count of some schools should happen if in question. That's just me speculating about this school. 

If its the school in question, I agree with you.  Several times in the past they report over 400 students to magically be 1 or 2 students below the cut. 

The SouthTown Stab

CLASS 1A

Gleason High School 122
Oakdale High School  136
Copper Basin High School  154
Coalfield High School  160
Cloudland High School  161

Sunbright High School  167
Greenfield High School  171

Red Boiling Springs High School 177
South Fulton High School  186
Lookout Valley High School  189
Hollow Rock-Bruceton Central High School 197
Pickett Co. High School  200
Lake Co. High School  204
Greenback High School 206
Midway High School  228
Collinwood High School  238
Huntland High School  239

Chattanooga Preparatory School 246 
Humboldt High School  267
West Carroll High School  267

Oliver Springs High School 272
Jellico High School 273
Wayne Co. High School 273
Middleton High School 275

Hancock Co. High School 279
Moore Co. High School 289
Perry Co. High School 298
McEwen High School 299
South Pittsburg High School 303
B. T. Washington High School 304

Memphis Middle College High School 311
Cornersville High School 314
Unaka High School 314

Dresden High School 316
North Greene High School 317
Jo Byrns High School 321
Westwood High School 322

Clay Co. High School 325
Cosby High School 330
Eagleville High School 335
Halls High School 342

Sale Creek High School 347
Whitwell High School 348

Union City High School 356
McKenzie High School 357
Richland High School 360
Harriman High School 362

Rockwood High School 364
Gordonsville High School 365

Houston Co. High School 371

• Like 1

The SouthTown Stab

Class 2A

Manassas High School 374
Memphis Academy of Science & Engineering 378
Hillcrest High School 382
Wartburg Central High School 383

Oakhaven High School 384
Fayetteville High School 385
East Robertson High School 388

Martin Luther King, Jr. Preparatory High School 395
Mitchell High School 397

Trousdale Co. High School 397
Huntingdon High School 400
Jackson Co. High School 400

Polk Co. High School 400
Fairley High School 402

Peabody High School 405
Tellico Plains High School 407

Oneida High School 415
Eagleton College and Career Academy 420 
Summertown High School 426
Monterey High School 427

Lewis Co. High School 428
Mt. Pleasant High School 430
Happy Valley High School 431

Jackson Central-Merry High School 431
Hampton High School 439
Adamsville High School 442
Hickman Co. High School 448
Gibson Co. High School 455
Decatur Co. Riverside High School 457

KIPP Memphis Collegiate School 470
East Hickman High School 472
Cumberland Gap High School 481
Bledsoe Co. High School 486
Loretto High School 487
Alvin C. York Institute 489
Marion Co. High School 494
Bluff City High School 499

Freedom Preparatory Academy 502
Smith Co. High School 503
Westmoreland High School 504
Waverly Central High School 506
Camden Central High School 510
West Greene High School 510

Memphis Business Academy 512
Cannon Co. High School 516
South Greene High School 520

Forrest High School 530
Harpeth High School 533
Milan High School 533

Sheffield High School 540

• Like 1

On 9/28/2022 at 7:22 PM, YBsostupid said:

Trenton Peabody lacked just on ( 1 ) student from going 2A instead of 1A.  When a school lacks 1-4 students then some type of verification should be applied.  In addition, when a school with about 335 students has an athletic offensive line that averages about 6' 2" and 280 pounds for 6-7 years in a row then something just ain't right.  Trenton Peabody again this year has an offensive line that could go up against any 6A school in the state.  This just does not add up.  I just can't see anyone other than a Trenton Peabody fan disagreeing with me on this.  Once in while a small town school might just happen to have a few classes like that.  It happens.  This was the case with Adamsville for a few years.  Now, with the same coach, all those extra large kids are gone.  Maybe in a few years they'll have another few classes of bigons.  But, for it to go on as long as it has at Peabody just doesn't pass the smell test.

We were thiiiiiiiis close moving to Trenton-Peabody area but the Lord put us in Dresden instead. Luv it too. I have deep, long family roots in that area of the woods, and there is special properties, nutrients, & stuff in the water & soil & edible plants grown around there. Used to be called “farm fed” boys, or country breed, or sumin like dat. Just like Vidalia onions are only found in that one area of Georgia (which area also grows the trees where most of the worlds chopsticks are made, those trees are “perfect” for them, all thanks to the soil content, so I learned recently).. it’s the same for that nook & cranny of W.Tenn area, they just grow them young ‘ins bigger in that area.  I think the town name, in the ancient native tongue, means Area Of Giants, or something like that. <<< so I been told by the locals & relatives. :hungry:

@Indian looking at your 3A guess, do you have Trezevant playing up?  What about RePublic?  

Also, since no one has brought it up,  I will.

Looking at my 1A projection I have Pickett County listed.    Will they field a team next year?  But more importantly,  will they figure into the overall list of football playing schools that help determine the cutoff points?

And how many "new schools" are there that figure into this process?

I have counted 299.  Up from 294 in the last reclassification/2020.

Edited by Southtowner
I'm the editor