Enrollment Numbers

2 hours ago, theawesomebro said:

give me a break.  public schools in TN (you know who you are) have work arounds like open zoning and have more transfers than any private school I know of.  

I would like to hear about the privates that "can't play by the rules" because I keep hearing about public schools getting in trouble, not private.  

sounds like you don't know much then.  I'm not here to name names, but there were a few schools still playing public not long ago and they chose to remove themselfs.  that says all I neeed to say.

Edited by ILB1999WHS

4 hours ago, cbg said:

It’s interesting that in Texas, Ohio, Georgia, etc… both the public and private schools are in the same division.  What are the public schools in those states doing differently than the Tennessee public schools?

I think Georgia is heading toward a split between public and private before too long. They already split the small schools in single A.  

On 6/22/2022 at 4:07 PM, MidTennFootball said:

With changes, better than the system current in place. Dropping classes is a pipe dream

100% In fact, I see the T$$AA making more in the future. 

I have always thought the best system was to have a 3 divisions. 

True public ( kids getting off the yellow bus ).

Open enrollment public.

Private. 

Then have 3 classes in each division.

After much discussion with a friend that in the public school system, this would not work very well either because there are not very many true public schools left. Most of the public schools have some form of open enrollment and the people that live or go to school there do not even know it. I certainly didn't. I like the current plan vastly better than the Z plan. 

2 hours ago, ILB1999WHS said:

And I'd love to know the things public schools do are the same as giving scholarships.  the're not.  it's not the same

this conversation is pointless because first of all, they are in separate classifications and have been for a while.  second of all, both public and private work within the rules as best they can to field the best team possible.   you shouldn't fault them for that.  

14 minutes ago, theawesomebro said:

this conversation is pointless because first of all, they are in separate classifications and have been for a while.  second of all, both public and private work within the rules as best they can to field the best team possible.   you shouldn't fault them for that.  

So we should leave the system as is.

13 minutes ago, theawesomebro said:

What would you classify as "For a While"? Knox Catholic for example is a private school (Has been for decades) and just went to the Private division in 2019, before that they competed in the public school division until the TSSAA changed the rule of giving tuition assistance. Since then they have ramped up that recruiting unlike they could before.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Swipes said:

What would you classify as "For a While"? Knox Catholic for example is a private school (Has been for decades) and just went to the Private division in 2019, before that they competed in the public school division until the TSSAA changed the rule of giving tuition assistance. Since then they have ramped up that recruiting unlike they could before.

I get your point and maybe it hasn't been that long.  the previous poster was making it seem like private schools were breaking rules to gain an advantage more than public schools.  your post highlights that once the rules changed, the schools moved where they needed to be.  I think lipscomb academy did the same.  i guess my point is, I don't think private schools are necessarily breaking more rules because that does not appear to be the case.  

as to whether things should stay the same, I don't really care.  it is clear some private AND some public schools are on a different level.  for all i know they are all playing fairly but it would be nice if the good teams played each other more.

51 minutes ago, theawesomebro said:

I get your point and maybe it hasn't been that long.  the previous poster was making it seem like private schools were breaking rules to gain an advantage more than public schools.  your post highlights that once the rules changed, the schools moved where they needed to be.  I think lipscomb academy did the same.  i guess my point is, I don't think private schools are necessarily breaking more rules because that does not appear to be the case.  

as to whether things should stay the same, I don't really care.  it is clear some private AND some public schools are on a different level.  for all i know they are all playing fairly but it would be nice if the good teams played each other more.

Because this post makes more sense than your first, I'll respond to this one...the issue was never (for me) about breaking the rules to gain an advantage. The issue was that the privates held a built in advantage without breaking any rules at all. In the smaller classifications, private schools in and around metropolitan areas were competing against rural schools with similar enrollments, yet had the option of selecting which and how many students were enrolled.

School A (small public)

Enrollment of 400, including virtually every kid within a 15 mile radius of the school, regardless of athletic ability or means to travel to/from practice, yet counted in enrollment numbers to establish classification.

School B (private within metro area)

Enrollment of 222, selected by the admissions committee from hundreds of applicants, in a metro area of several thousand. They have the facilities and finances to carry more students, but choose to limit enrollment to 222 because of the 1.8 multiplier (222 x 1.8= 399.6), which results in them being in the same classification as School A.

In one of the last seasons before the split, Friendship Christian was the state champion in multiple sports both male and female, and boasted on their online recruiting  advertisement of over a 70% participation rate in athletics among their students. The only way that those figures relate is to hand select students from a large talent pool according to their athletic ability.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

Because this post makes more sense than your first, I'll respond to this one...the issue was never (for me) about breaking the rules to gain an advantage. The issue was that the privates held a built in advantage without breaking any rules at all. In the smaller classifications, private schools in and around metropolitan areas were competing against rural schools with similar enrollments, yet had the option of selecting which and how many students were enrolled.

School A (small public)

Enrollment of 400, including virtually every kid within a 15 mile radius of the school, regardless of athletic ability or means to travel to/from practice, yet counted in enrollment numbers to establish classification.

School B (private within metro area)

Enrollment of 222, selected by the admissions committee from hundreds of applicants, in a metro area of several thousand. They have the facilities and finances to carry more students, but choose to limit enrollment to 222 because of the 1.8 multiplier (222 x 1.8= 399.6), which results in them being in the same classification as School A.

In one of the last seasons before the split, Friendship Christian was the state champion in multiple sports both male and female, and boasted on their online recruiting  advertisement of over a 70% participation rate in athletics among their students. The only way that those figures relate is to hand select students from a large talent pool according to their athletic ability.

This pretty much nailed it. 

2 hours ago, theawesomebro said:

They aren’t now because they have officially went in the correct division.  

Like tradertwo said it was giving them an unfair advantage even at a larger school like Catholic being able to hand pick who got in from Knox county and surrounding counties (the Mayes brother who were a 5star and 4star respectively both lived in Kingston but played for Catholic when they were a private school in the public division).  They won three state championships doing that in 3a, 4a, and 5a but haven’t won state in football since moving where they were always suppose to be.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I do not disagree with anything you are saying and I understand the advantages private schools have.  I have kids in private school.  

I have a problem with this...

"Private schools can keep to themselfs.  They showed they can't play by the rules, and no one wants to play them."

that is my beef.  sorry that was not clear.  my point ONCE AGAIN is that private schools dont necessarily break the rules more than public.  

I also think the 2 best games I saw last year were CPA vs Oakland and Lipscomb vs Oakland.  I think it is unfortunate to not find ways to have more great matchups like that.