West TN Top Football Programs Historically

56 minutes ago, Waker said:

Huntingdon has 399 and is the 12th smallest 2a school in the state.

Milan has 568. They would be the 8th smallest 3a team but play up in 4a to avoid playing Alcoa in the championship game. So I guess a chance at limping into the playoffs in 4a is better for them than a chance of getting beat in the championship in 3a

Henry Co has 1322

Go back to sleep. :)

On 7/15/2022 at 10:46 PM, MSURacer said:

Are Milan and Huntingdon considered large schools? Or JCM and Haywood for that matter? I've always considered them smaller to mid-sized. 

I definitely have some bias favoring Henry County though. No argument there. We actually have a losing record against several schools on this list, including a whopping 0-15 against Milan. Not much better against JCM. And Huntingdon and Haywood have historically had our number as well. We've just had a really, really good last 15 years or so. We had some good teams sprinkled throughout the 70's, 80's, and 90's, but HCHS was not the consistent contender it is now until around 2005. 

But combining our recent success with that of the old Paris Grove High School? I had to put us pretty high up there. 

When you speak of the area yes JCM Haywood and such are larger schools. We top out at 5A and only have a handful in west tenn so I don't see how 4A would be small or mid sized. It was just weird seeing 2 schools with 4 gold balls have schools with one or none on top of them. 

55 minutes ago, WarEagleCartman said:

When you speak of the area yes JCM Haywood and such are larger schools. We top out at 5A and only have a handful in west tenn so I don't see how 4A would be small or mid sized. It was just weird seeing 2 schools with 4 gold balls have schools with one or none on top of them. 

I admittedly don't fallow 1A or 2A ball very closely. I know UC and Trenton have won multiple gold balls, but I didn't realize they'd won 4. If that's the case, then yeah, they deserve more credit. 

I neglected to mention Lake County as well. I believe they've won 2 or 3 of their own. Sometimes I forget about them tucked away in their corner over there, but they've had a very good history. 

It's really hard to make any distinctive list. There are a ton of historically solid programs in West TN. I was remiss not to include Germantown as well. And I'm not so sure I wouldn't have had them #1. 

On 7/15/2022 at 10:46 PM, MSURacer said:

Are Milan and Huntingdon considered large schools? Or JCM and Haywood for that matter? I've always considered them smaller to mid-sized. 

I definitely have some bias favoring Henry County though. No argument there. We actually have a losing record against several schools on this list, including a whopping 0-15 against Milan. Not much better against JCM. And Huntingdon and Haywood have historically had our number as well. We've just had a really, really good last 15 years or so. We had some good teams sprinkled throughout the 70's, 80's, and 90's, but HCHS was not the consistent contender it is now until around 2005. 

But combining our recent success with that of the old Paris Grove High School? I had to put us pretty high up there. 

Do y'all play any team that is not at least 1 hour away? That has to be tough on the fans that want to go to the games. 

Since championships seem to be the only criterion most people are using.  I’ve decided to use a touch of sarcasm to put together my own list.  It’s totally unbiased.  I hope no one will be offended.

1.  Peabody 4 state championships
2.  Union City 4 state championships
3.  Milan 4 state championships
4.  Lake Co. 3 state championships
5.  Henry Co. 2 state championships

In order to break the tie between Peabody, Union City, and Milan I looked at each team's most recent championship.

Peabody – 2020
Union City – 2017
Milan – What can I say?  The Dawgs haven’t won a championship since the last century.  (1999)

Others receiving votes (In no particular order):

Westview 1 state championship
Huntingdon 1 state championship
Humboldt 1 state championship
Dyer County 1 state championship
Dresden 1 state championship
Hollow Rock-Bruceton 1 state championship

Well, I take that part about being unbiased back.  Since 8 of the 11 schools that I’ve mentioned are 1A or 2A, I seem to have created a list that is somewhat small school biased.

And in response to your replies,  I know!  Haywood has never won a state football championship.

Edited by stacmot

9 hours ago, Solomon said:

Lake Co and Peabody are ify IMO.

Lexington, Bruceton, JCM, Haywood, and North Side would like a word in this conversation.

Yes LC is iffy.Small school with about 275 students have won 3 state titles and I think 3 runnersup.Lost to Alcoa twice for title.And I think Union City stepping down to Single A those years probably cost LC a couple more.Have most always played bigger schools.Probabky would had a couple more had not about 5 players went to Dyer Co..Bur for a true rural school,think they have done pretty well.LC hardly ever gets a transfer unlike some schools get kids from North Carolina etc

Edited by mrbigster

9 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

Do y'all play any team that is not at least 1 hour away? That has to be tough on the fans that want to go to the games. 

I don't think so, but HC fans are plenty used to it. We've been on an island for pretty much our entire history, and it seems like we've been in a Clarksville region since the beginning of time. We have far more history with the Clarksville schools and Dickson County than we do with any west TN schools, except maybe JCM. 

It would be nice to have some closer, more community-tied rivalries, but this is the hand we were dealt. 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2022 at 1:11 PM, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Milan is the only team in the state that is undefeated against Maryville. 1-0 all-time. Unless you count teams that have never played them. :)

Actually not true, not even the only team from West TN

http://www.ahsfhs.org/tennessee/teams/Opponents.asp?Team=Maryville

Edited by MidTennFootball
Wrong link