Murphy Fair

fredjones

Don’t know this for a fact, but I would bet that the book sold less and less each year as more and more people got access to the internet. Also, you could safely bet as to which schools would not return their survey each year. Somebody in Georgia used to put out a similar type of book, it wasn’t as good as Mr. Fair’s though.

1 hour ago, Southtowner said:

Imma gonna miss Murphy.  I'm already going thru withdrawal symptoms with no new book.  

D Stew would be a great sports writer to put together something similar for the masses.

Do you think his pole would be as good as Murphy's? I hope that someone takes the initiative to put something together...if not Roy won't have anything to read to people at the games, no way to tell if players on other teams are big enough to play in the SEC, or even who their passers, pass catchers, and hole knockers are.

Funny story about the Guru.... Tailgating, 2006, Mt Pleasant High School, playing Columbia Academy last regular season game of the year and one of the Mt Pleasant fans calls into the Murphy Fair show. Youngtiger is his nick name on here and asks "What are the chances of Marco Dailey winning Mr Football?" Murphy replies with was something like "Who is Marco Daily never heard of him?"

To answer the Guru of High School football, he won Mr Football that year and again in 2007. 2006 he finished with over 2800 yards rushing at 42 touchdowns. You would think the "Guru" would know about him the last week of the regular season

On 7/10/2022 at 6:00 PM, tradertwo said:

Do you think his pole would be as good as Murphy's? I hope that someone takes the initiative to put something together...if not Roy won't have anything to read to people at the games, no way to tell if players on other teams are big enough to play in the SEC, or even who their passers, pass catchers, and hole knockers are.

Roy once said 'there's no pole like Murphy's pole.  I heard he has it frozen in carbonite and looks at it from across his man cave while reading his books late at night.

cG3ibVm.gif

On 7/3/2022 at 11:39 AM, howdoitknow said:

Murphy Fair did a lot of great things for high school football across the state of TN for such a long period of time.  Donovan Stewart does an amazing job covering high school football as well.  Instead of criticizing and trying to throw shade at Murphy Fair for what he knew/didn’t know perhaps you should be appreciative of the good things he did to promote high school football and young people across the state for so many years.  

Happy Retirement Murphy!  Hope to catch you at a game sometime.  

high school football promotes itself. the parents are the audience. this isnt the thriller tour. 

murphy "pt barnum" fair filled a niche that wouldve been better served by almost any human alive. he compiled press releases from local schools and papers and charged $25 for a book that was printed on 70 cents worth of paper. then he went on radio and TV and said every team could win it all. he was the dick vitale of tennessee.  a walking hot windbag of cliches. he will not be missed.