5A/6A Scrimmages

34 minutes ago, YoungBuck said:

Yeah you are right, I may have been. I mean Gipson was out there so it may have been the middle school. Just funny how desperate some coaches looked for Powell trying to get their “star” athletes to even run off the field. Guys on that team are more worried about the next level and NIL deals. Greene is the exception IMO. Kid loves to compete and is probably the heart and soul of the senior class. It sure ain’t number 8 

Can somebody please interpret?  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, olhickory said:

Fake News, friend.,  I have been by the 7v7s and practices.  GT is there and is a live wire as usual. He brought back his old friend and Maverick favorite, Tony Lambert and the party seems to be on in Maverickland.  Stop by next Friday and watch the Mavs host Stone Memorial , and I am sure you will see Coach GT or hear him on the field.  

Thank god that’s not true

Edited by YoungBuck
  • Like 1

On 7/21/2022 at 8:45 PM, olhickory said:

Anderson County Makes the Bus ride to Kingsport DB August 5 for a scrimmage.  It was a hard hitting physical affair last fall, and should be again.  Anderson County's skill players were just too much for DB last time they met at AC.  I will be looking forward to watching this one, as me and a few guys will make the trip up to see what the 2022 Mavericks look like.  

Most DB fans get a little frustrated come scrimmage time. I don't recall at any time when DB went into a scrimmage to win it, or see how many scores they can get. It's frustrating to the fans because we're all ready for some football and we're all wanting to see the horses run. I think most staffs are like this but there are some that would prefer to show off rather than teach and learn. It's even worse if you have a bunch of players returning. You pretty much already know what they can do so you tend to sprinkle in the younger and less experienced guys to see how they react. I could probably count on one hand the number of scrimmages DB has "won" in the past 10 years. I've learned not to get excited or dejected over a simple scrimmage. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 7/23/2022 at 12:18 PM, YoungBuck said:

Yeah you are right, I may have been. I mean Gipson was out there so it may have been the middle school. Just funny how desperate some coaches looked for Powell trying to get their “star” athletes to even run off the field. Guys on that team are more worried about the next level and NIL deals. Greene is the exception IMO. Kid loves to compete and is probably the heart and soul of the senior class. It sure ain’t number 8 

Number 8.....who is that?  

22 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

Most DB fans get a little frustrated come scrimmage time. I don't recall at any time when DB went into a scrimmage to win it, or see how many scores they can get. It's frustrating to the fans because we're all ready for some football and we're all wanting to see the horses run. I think most staffs are like this but there are some that would prefer to show off rather than teach and learn. It's even worse if you have a bunch of players returning. You pretty much already know what they can do so you tend to sprinkle in the younger and less experienced guys to see how they react. I could probably count on one hand the number of scrimmages DB has "won" in the past 10 years. I've learned not to get excited or dejected over a simple scrimmage. 

Same here, maybe it would be better if scrimmages were not open to the public

On 7/24/2022 at 10:38 AM, WaCoJaCo said:

You are correct. From the late 70’s to about 1990 Greeneville and DB scrimmaged every summer. Usually the last scrimmage. Both teams ran a lot a base D. It was announced when  the next 10 play series would involved stunts. Hard hitting and technique was the expectation. Nobody really kept up with score, though I’m sure many in the stands could. All looked forward to it.

On the other hand, we would scrimmage Sullivan Central in the spring and they would throw the Defensive kitchen sink at us while running trick offensive plays at us. GHS was and is a multi sport athletic school and usually a 3rd of the team was unavailable, mostly our best athletes. We looked for young hitters and moved people around. They would beat us about 8-1 and celebrate like it was the Super Bowl.

Come summer we would beat central about 8-0 with the firsts. They would go on to win their 1 or 2 games. I never understood Central and their attitude towards not using spring scrimmages to get better.

Edited by noonesfool

On 7/24/2022 at 11:38 AM, WaCoJaCo said:

When Benny Monroe coached at Cleveland he hated these things! Did very few of them, except for the old district jamborees which you had to take part in in those days because they used the gate money to pay for the catastrophic injury insurance that used to be offered.