Eagleton

Just now, Southtowner said:

Yeah Broadway is an excellent choice.

We played Walland back in the day.

Also seems like there were a couple schools up that way long time back that was exceptionally good at girls basketball.  Maryville Everett?  Another one or 2 maybe.

One played FCHS one year for the girls title with FCHS being the victor.  Maybe 1969 or so?   I have a ton of kinfolk on my mother's side that was born, raised & played ball for Winchester.  

Back then girls played 6 on 6.

3 were on offense & the other 3 played defense.  Players were not allowed to cross center court.

I guess the reasoning was, girls can't run full court or aren't physically able to. :huh:

48 minutes ago, Southtowner said:

Also seems like there were a couple schools up that way long time back that was exceptionally good at girls basketball.  Maryville Everett?  Another one or 2 maybe.

One played FCHS one year for the girls title with FCHS being the victor.  Maybe 1969 or so?   I have a ton of kinfolk on my mother's side that was born, raised & played ball for Winchester.  

49 minutes ago, Southtowner said:

Funny story one year back in the mid sixties Walland's girl basketball team was in the state finals and one of the girls that started had a baby the following day. Back then it was three girls on one side of the court and the other three on the other. The other team complained after they found out saying Walland had an extra player.

10 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Funny story one year back in the mid sixties Walland's girl basketball team was in the state finals and one of the girls that started had a baby the following day. Back then it was three girls on one side of the court and the other three on the other. The other team complained after they found out saying Walland had an extra player.

:roflol:

48 minutes ago, BroadwayBarberShop said:

William Blount has already petitioned the state to move to 5A this week. 
They have 50 SESI kids that are now coming off their head count and will put them below the minimum 6A number. 

How can one petition before the classes have been set?

They want a re-do on their enrollment number?  Has this ever been done before? 

11 hours ago, Southtowner said:

Back then girls played 6 on 6.

3 were on offense & the other 3 played defense.  Players were not allowed to cross center court.

I guess the reasoning was, girls can't run full court or aren't physically able to. :huh:

Pat Head Summit changed all of that!!!!

12 hours ago, Southtowner said:

Now that Eagleton has opened & will be playing a varsity schedule beginning next year, what schools in the surrounding area do you think will "suffer" the most.

"Suffer" the most meaning which schools in Blount County will feel the affect of this school opening the most in their football rosters?

1. Maryville ?

2. Alcoa ?

3. William Blount?

Even Greenback ? 

Heritage is the school formed along with W. Blount when Walland, Lanier, Porter etc were consolidated. Greenback survived because they were in a different county.  I have always had a soft spot for Greenback and Copper Basin because they are the few schools left out of that era of small schools.  Vonore went away later on.

4 minutes ago, rlh said:

Heritage is the school formed along with W. Blount when Walland, Lanier, Porter etc were consolidated. Greenback survived because they were in a different county.  I have always had a soft spot for Greenback and Copper Basin because they are the few schools left out of that era of small schools.  Vonore went away later on.

Yes and not long ago the County was planning a consolidation and our community went nuts on them.Not long after we had a new school.