2022 Single A Volleyball

Rockstar89

12 hours ago, Jaychapman said:

I see a SG -Summertown clash down the road - would be another classic 

Yes, a classic. I believe, by the end of the year, South Greene will have a team as good as last year's—probably slightly better, size and depth wise. Katie Burdette was a tremendous, dominant player and will be hard to replace. Still, I see a distinct possibility our teams will meet again. Looking forward to it. Very much. Wishing you and your team all the best.

On 8/29/2022 at 9:29 PM, Americal198 said:

Since it's "never too early" and for the sake of keeping this thread going, South Greene visits Kingsport Dobyns-Bennett tomorrow night. It should be a great matchup.

Just got back from Kingsport, where South Greene and Dobyns-Bennett played five sets. D-B is loaded with very good BIG players, with much (seniors) experience.

The advantage in the net went to D-B, with a great deal of shot blocking that took away much of SG's power game. 

I limit myself to about one game a week and can say that I marked this game on my schedule as soon as it first came out. I always want to see a good, close game. Neither my wife nor I were disappointed, even though we would have liked to have seen different results.

Both teams gave it everything they had. Congrats and good luck to both. Overall, it was an enjoyable evening.

Edited by Americal198

58 minutes ago, Americal198 said:

Just got back from Kingsport, where South Greene and Dobyns-Bennett played five sets. D-B is loaded with very good BIG players, with much (seniors) experience.

The advantage in the net went to D-B, with a great deal of shot blocking that took away much of SG's power game. 

I limit myself to about one game a week and can say that I marked this game on my schedule as soon as it first came out. I always want to see a good, close game. Neither my wife nor I were disappointed, even though we would have liked to have seen different results.

Both teams gave it everything they had. Congrats and good luck to both. Overall, it was an enjoyable evening.

Hard to beat those 3A schools - they are just toooo big not necessarily better - Summertown ran into that against Brentwood over the weekend / Summertown probably a notch below last years team but get after it pretty good 

1 hour ago, Jaychapman said:

Hard to beat those 3A schools - they are just toooo big not necessarily better - Summertown ran into that against Brentwood over the weekend / Summertown probably a notch below last years team but get after it pretty good 

Your point is well taken. Thanks. 

You'll get better as the season gets along. 

9 hours ago, Americal198 said:

As a D-B fan, I will say that if the Lady Rebels don't win it all again in Class A this year, I'll be shocked.  That was the most fun volleyball game I've seen I believe.  Very high level stuff.  We probably won't get out of the district tournament as the Big 5 is pretty well even from top to bottom.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TribalEmpire said:

As a D-B fan, I will say that if the Lady Rebels don't win it all again in Class A this year, I'll be shocked.  That was the most fun volleyball game I've seen I believe.  Very high level stuff.  We probably won't get out of the district tournament as the Big 5 is pretty well even from top to bottom.

Thank you for your response.

The game is one I will always remember, as will anyone who happened to be there—especially the players. Both teams played hard and that's all one could ask for. It was a special night and I'm glad to have not missed it.

D-B should do well this year. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jaychapman said:

Most 1A schools have one rotation that for a better term is slightly inferior in size and efficiency ( at least at Summertown ) whereas bigger schools are pretty consistent across the board 

That makes sense. All the more reason for having different classes with regard to school size. 

Of course, 1A scheduling games with 3A teams is the best way to bring along the younger, less experienced players. 

Another factor is that many schools have volleyball programs that are still in their "infancy." 

2 hours ago, Americal198 said:

That makes sense. All the more reason for having different classes with regard to school size. 

Of course, 1A scheduling games with 3A teams is the best way to bring along the younger, less experienced players. 

Another factor is that many schools have volleyball programs that are still in their "infancy." 

Lot of weak teams get in and lot of stronger teams get left out because of their regionality - some even served underhanded but guess that the beauty of the beast ( TSSAA )

On 8/30/2022 at 9:25 PM, Americal198 said:

Yes, a classic. I believe, by the end of the year, South Greene will have a team as good as last year's—probably slightly better, size and depth wise. Katie Burdette was a tremendous, dominant player and will be hard to replace. Still, I see a distinct possibility our teams will meet again. Looking forward to it. Very much. Wishing you and your team all the best.

Maybe meet up this weekend at Rocky Top Classic