Sumner County Director of Schools

sumcofootball

13 minutes ago, eers said:

Keep all the glittery things, we will just keep winning. However… open zones. Just make it open across the board, not just LC. 

Open zone or not, transfers have to sit from the date of their last participation for one full calendar year. I wouldn't be concerned too much, even if everything is true...one video of one kid and the whole thing comes crashing down, and secrets are hard to keep.

41 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

Open zone or not, transfers have to sit from the date of their last participation for one full calendar year. I wouldn't be concerned too much, even if everything is true...one video of one kid and the whole thing comes crashing down, and secrets are hard to keep.

That's why I have trouble thinking they would try to pull this. Way too many eyes saw these kids play last fall.

9 hours ago, abo14 said:

That's why I have trouble thinking they would try to pull this. Way too many eyes saw these kids play last fall.

10 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Can TSSAA do anything if previous schools put down last day of participation August 1st, 2021 knowing they played last year? There is obviously film of a lot of these players playing deep into the regular season/playoffs last year and most of those are out of zone. I do not believe many parents if any got a new address in zone, especially since there are no apartments in that area and it really is a hard area to move into if you are not in one of the big two neighborhoods zoned for it. I mentioned a lot about football which they are not eligible for playoffs, but all the other sports are and this effects them too.

4 hours ago, sumcofootball said:

Can TSSAA do anything if previous schools put down last day of participation August 1st, 2021 knowing they played last year? There is obviously film of a lot of these players playing deep into the regular season/playoffs last year and most of those are out of zone. I do not believe many parents if any got a new address in zone, especially since there are no apartments in that area and it really is a hard area to move into if you are not in one of the big two neighborhoods zoned for it. I mentioned a lot about football which they are not eligible for playoffs, but all the other sports are and this effects them too.

Yeah the other sports, like softball.  Check out the state contending softball roster they've put together out there and those of you saying let them play out of zone might think about taking that statement back.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, GREENWAVE84EG said:

Yeah the other sports, like softball.  Check out the state contending softball roster they've put together out there and those of you saying let them play out of zone might think about taking that statement back.

I’m not sure if the entire roster, but I know there are a ton of rising freshmen going in softball. That makes it an open zone issue more than a TSSAA issue. If you’re going to let one school recruit and poach, let everyone. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eers said:

I’m not sure if the entire roster, but I know there are a ton of rising freshmen going in softball. That makes it an open zone issue more than a TSSAA issue. If you’re going to let one school recruit and poach, let everyone. 

I think it should be like Knoxville, open enrollment for rising freshman and then out of zones for other grades are on a case by case basis. Allowing only Liberty Creek to do it caused this huge mess. They opened the school to relieve pressure from Beech and Station Camp while Gallatin is still sitting at 2,000 students. The school is still trying to poach kids telling them they will be eligible if they go right now..

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, sumcofootball said:

I think it should be like Knoxville, open enrollment for rising freshman and then out of zones for other grades are on a case by case basis. Allowing only Liberty Creek to do it caused this huge mess. They opened the school to relieve pressure from Beech and Station Camp while Gallatin is still sitting at 2,000 students. The school is still trying to poach kids telling them they will be eligible if they go right now..

I think you don't know what open enrollment is and don't know what Knox County school board policy actually is either.  Sumner County is an open enrollment the same way Knox Co. is with a transfer policy on file with the school board. (See attached Sumner County Policy is).  You can't just go to any school you want to as a freshman in Knox County and have to apply for a transfer from zoned school and have it approved by the school board (Same as Sumner County).  I'm not saying that some school systems are easier to get transfer pushed through than other but i would guess to say that over 95% of the schools in Tennessee are classified as open zoned.

If what the first post that was said was true then i would turn the school into the TSSAA.  The of Schools can do what he pleases but the TSSAA can make those student ineligible no matter what new Board Policy is approved since they already have an athletic record at an out of zone school.

https://go.boarddocs.com/tn/scstn/Board.nsf/goto?open&id=9CCLKY534F34# (Section 6.205)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Swipes said:

I think you don't know what open enrollment is and don't know what Knox County school board policy actually is either.  Sumner County is an open enrollment the same way Knox Co. is with a transfer policy on file with the school board. (See attached Sumner County Policy is).  You can't just go to any school you want to as a freshman in Knox County and have to apply for a transfer from zoned school and have it approved by the school board (Same as Sumner County).  I'm not saying that some school systems are easier to get transfer pushed through than other but i would guess to say that over 95% of the schools in Tennessee are classified as open zoned.

If what the first post that was said was true then i would turn the school into the TSSAA.  The of Schools can do what he pleases but the TSSAA can make those student ineligible no matter what new Board Policy is approved since they already have an athletic record at an out of zone school.

https://go.boarddocs.com/tn/scstn/Board.nsf/goto?open&id=9CCLKY534F34# (Section 6.205)

Apologies, it is a lot easier in Knox County then the headache Sumner County has created. This is the second year in a row Sumner County has shut down all out of zone requests even rising Freshman. Liberty Creek is the only school allowing it, and I believe West Moreland.

5 hours ago, Swipes said:

Bingo!!! Hit the nail right on the head. +1

Too many things in this thread that are just inaccurate.  Principal and AD at schools weren't asked to falsify records.  Previous schools do not have to give the date of last participation unless asked.  Current school fills out the transfer form.  All incoming freshmen enrolled in the school are eligible.  All students zoned to the new school are eligible.  All other students may request a hardship that will either be approved or denied by the TSSAA.  The information contained in the hardship request is subject to the integrity of the persons filling it out.  The previous school should be involved by sending a letter stating that the move was not for athletic purposes (this could be subject to Director influence).  These rules apply to all sports, not just football.

• Like 1