reclassification Video

WestTNHoopsFan

10 minutes ago, Redrage4life said:

I understand why you don't like the the 4 classes.  Gibson County has to run the gauntlet now to make it to state.  When you have to go through Westview, Union City, Huntingdon in the district and then Loretto or Summertown in the Substate.  That is an extremely tough route.  When Adamsville, Scotts Hill, and Riverside had to play in a district with schools that had anywhere between 500-700 more students for 4 years that was brutal.  At least you are getting to play against schools that basically have the same number of students.  Tougher for sure.  I don't think the 4 classes are going away for the near future.  

That is my point exactly. I keep saying it... If you are going to have classes the proposal that was submitted is the best I have seen. It is fair according to the enrollment of the schools and there is no other way to fairly do classification. 

2 hours ago, Redrage4life said:

I understand why you don't like the the 4 classes.  Gibson County has to run the gauntlet now to make it to state.  When you have to go through Westview, Union City, Huntingdon in the district and then Loretto or Summertown in the Substate.  That is an extremely tough route.  When Adamsville, Scotts Hill, and Riverside had to play in a district with schools that had anywhere between 500-700 more students for 4 years that was brutal.  At least you are getting to play against schools that basically have the same number of students.  Tougher for sure.  I don't think the 4 classes are going away for the near future.  

Next time you get a minute look at the Region 8 Tournament and look at Kipp and Sheffield and Power County getting beat in the Region Tournament 1-0 because they didn’t show up. Crosstown is in that Region and didn’t even play period. This is my biggest beef having to go across the river and play Regions and substates and you got teams that are supposedly there but don’t play and have no record of playing. TSSAA has dropped the ball with Memphis because they don’t play and obviously TSSAA don’t even look at box scores. Gibson County had the number 1 strength of schedule and plays everybody. I just got my teams back. Adamsville and Scott’s Hill and Decatur County should be the one’s going across the river because they are right on the river. Gibson County Football don’t have a great culture IMO, but I am not trying to redo everything so we might could have a better chance. 

Edited by pioneer42

2 hours ago, WestTNHoopsFan said:

That is my point exactly. I keep saying it... If you are going to have classes the proposal that was submitted is the best I have seen. It is fair according to the enrollment of the schools and there is no other way to fairly do classification. 

A bad decision was made from the get go. Tennessee’s population is not geographically intact to have four classes. 83 schools divided by 16 is 5. That means all the schools better be evened out about perfect just to have 5 teams in a District and they aren’t.  That is the reason you have 3 and 4 team Districts. All just to make more money. The proposal which is a bad one is set to redo the whole playoff system and make 2 classes easier but lose 4 teams a class in the state tournament and make the other two classes beyond brutal all because they made a mistake the first time. This is all just so the TSSAA can make more money. All they are thinking about is making themselves money and don’t care about the schools that has to schedule and run all over the state to try to make the nonsense work. Bottom line is you have a governing body that could care less about anyone else but themselves just like the one in DC.

Edited by pioneer42

1 hour ago, pioneer42 said:

A bad decision was made from the get go. Tennessee’s population is not geographically intact to have four classes. 83 schools divided by 16 is 5. That means all the schools better be evened out about perfect just to have 5 teams in a District and they aren’t.  That is the reason you have 3 and 4 team Districts. All just to make more money. The proposal which is a bad one is set to redo the whole playoff system and make 2 classes easier but lose 4 teams a class in the state tournament and make the other two classes beyond brutal all because they made a mistake the first time. This is all just so the TSSAA can make more money. All they are thinking about is making themselves money and don’t care about the schools that has to schedule and run all over the state to try to make the nonsense work. Bottom line is you have a governing body that could care less about anyone else but themselves just like the one in DC.

Geography doesn't support 3 classes either.  Unless, you think it is fair from a competitive standpoint that schools with almost 500 more kids are playing in districts with smaller schools.  At least with 4 classes schools are playing against other schools with the same enrollment numbers.  Who knows?  When the numbers come out districts and regions may be different.

48 minutes ago, Redrage4life said:

Geography doesn't support 3 classes either.  Unless, you think it is fair from a competitive standpoint that schools with almost 500 more kids are playing in districts with smaller schools.  At least with 4 classes schools are playing against other schools with the same enrollment numbers.  Who knows?  When the numbers come out districts and regions may be different.

My take is this. Gibson County has beaten Collierville and Bartlett last year. South Gibson also beat Collierville.  Bartlett and Collierville is what 2750 and 2850 respectively and the two biggest schools in the state. Gibson County is 475. Peabody is a 1 A football school and beats 4 A regularly. My take is this and I am not a fan of this at all. But if you want enrollment numbers closer make 5 or 6 classes and have 8 Regions. I would be much more in favor of that than making A and AAAA much weaker and making AA and AAA much tougher just to even out Districts. As a general rule, teams that can’t beat schools bigger than them are not going to beat a lot of teams the same size. 

Edited by pioneer42

On 8/19/2022 at 3:09 PM, pioneer42 said:

My take is this. Gibson County has beaten Collierville and Bartlett last year. South Gibson also beat Collierville.  Bartlett and Collierville is what 2750 and 2850 respectively and the two biggest schools in the state. Gibson County is 475. Peabody is a 1 A football school and beats 4 A regularly. My take is this and I am not a fan of this at all. But if you want enrollment numbers closer make 5 or 6 classes and have 8 Regions. I would be much more in favor of that than making A and AAAA much weaker and making AA and AAA much tougher just to even out Districts. As a general rule, teams that can’t beat schools bigger than them are not going to beat a lot of teams the same size. 

Gibson County girl's basketball and Trenton football are elite programs.  Of course they are going to beat teams who have larger enrollments.  Why is it ok for Adamsville, Scotts Hill, and Riverside to go play across the river, but not ok for Gibson County?  If Gibson County is beating schools that have 2500+ enrollments on a consistent basis, why are you worried about schools that basically have the same enrollments?  Plain and simple, you don't like being in the same district with Westview and the substate with Loretto and Summertown.  I wouldn't either.  I guess we will see in a few months where the new enrollment numbers align us with.

1 hour ago, Redrage4life said:

Gibson County girl's basketball and Trenton football are elite programs.  Of course they are going to beat teams who have larger enrollments.  Why is it ok for Adamsville, Scotts Hill, and Riverside to go play across the river, but not ok for Gibson County?  If Gibson County is beating schools that have 2500+ enrollments on a consistent basis, why are you worried about schools that basically have the same enrollments?  Plain and simple, you don't like being in the same district with Westview and the substate with Loretto and Summertown.  I wouldn't either.  I guess we will see in a few months where the new enrollment numbers align us with.

If you will look at Memphis’ deal they have multiple schools forfeiting Region Tournament games and not even playing in the regular season period or tournaments and us having to go across the river. That is my biggest beef. They don’t even care about girls basketball and the people that do are getting the shaft. Gibson County Basketball and Peabody Football are developing talent at a young age. I think if Adamsville, Scott’s Hill and Riverside had the same formula they would be good as well. We have built a really good girls basketball culture. Football not so good. Adamsville has built a solid football program. You get out of it what you put into it. I think if Gibson County put the effort into football as we do basketball it would be different. 

10 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

If you will look at Memphis’ deal they have multiple schools forfeiting Region Tournament games and not even playing in the regular season period or tournaments and us having to go across the river. That is my biggest beef. They don’t even care about girls basketball and the people that do are getting the shaft. Gibson County Basketball and Peabody Football are developing talent at a young age. I think if Adamsville, Scott’s Hill and Riverside had the same formula they would be good as well. We have built a really good girls basketball culture. Football not so good. Adamsville has built a solid football program. You get out of it what you put into it. I think if Gibson County put the effort into football as we do basketball it would be different. 

Agree on developing talent. You have to work the kids at a young age. That has been happening at Gibson County, South Side, Westview, Loretto, summertown, and is starting to happen at South Gibson (both girls and boys). I am sure there are other programs I left out but you have to develop the younger talent to have an elite high school program. 

No solution will make everyone or every school happy.  Here are my thoughts:

• 4 classes is fine as long as each district has 6 teams in it.  4-team basketball districts where everyone makes it to region are ridiculous.  You have teams in the region tournaments that have no business being there.  You should have to earn a region berth
  • There is no reason that football should have 6 classes.  We do not have the population.  We should have the same number of classifications in all sports.  Football, track, soccer, and baseball are the only sports that the bigger size plays a significant role.  Basketball and volleyball only need 10-12 players on the varsity team total and most varsity teams do not play that many in a game that matters. 
  • Every school should be in the same district regardless of what sport it is. 
  • Individual sports like golf, tennis, track, etc should not have classification.  When it is individual it should not matter how big or small your school is.  Either you are the best or you are not.  The team portion of those sports can be in the normal district/class for those competitions.
  • T$$AA will do what they can to make money, so what we say on here does not matter.  They do not care about the kids

1 hour ago, Heisenberg said:

No solution will make everyone or every school happy.  Here are my thoughts:

• 4 classes is fine as long as each district has 6 teams in it.  4-team basketball districts where everyone makes it to region are ridiculous.  You have teams in the region tournaments that have no business being there.  You should have to earn a region berth
  • There is no reason that football should have 6 classes.  We do not have the population.  We should have the same number of classifications in all sports.  Football, track, soccer, and baseball are the only sports that the bigger size plays a significant role.  Basketball and volleyball only need 10-12 players on the varsity team total and most varsity teams do not play that many in a game that matters. 
  • Every school should be in the same district regardless of what sport it is. 
  • Individual sports like golf, tennis, track, etc should not have classification.  When it is individual it should not matter how big or small your school is.  Either you are the best or you are not.  The team portion of those sports can be in the normal district/class for those competitions.
  • T$$AA will do what they can to make money, so what we say on here does not matter.  They do not care about the kids

It was hard to get six teams in Districts with three classes. I agree it is all about money and I think they knew the problems that would exist but didn’t care. Posters on here don’t get paid to do this stuff and we all knew 3-4 team Districts would be a nightmare as well as scheduling. They knew too and they don’t care. They want the money. 

There's no perfect option, and even the most fair way will have it's flaws...I'm probably different, but I don't really mind travel too much. My biggest beef that we (Scotts Hill) have, for the last decade or so, played basketball, baseball, ect with a completely different set of teams in completely different geographical regions of the state. Middleton in basketball (almost Memphis), then Houston & Stewart Counties (practically Ky.) and East Hickman (Dickson) and Loretto (near Alabama) in football. Just figure out how to place us (enrollment 500' ish vs. schools of 1,000 for four years) with schools relative to our size in districts/regions in all sports...preferably that are our traditional rivals! Gone are the days of 40 mile and closer trips to schools that we've been playing for the last 40 years.

There really isn't an easy answer.  TN geographically is a tough state to deal with.  The Memphis area in basketball is just non-existent in girls basketball.  One thing that needs to happen is the districts need to have 6-8 teams in them.  The district that my daughter's team plays in has four teams.  That makes scheduling extremely difficult.  We now have to fill 18 out of district games since we only have 6 district contests.  We've had to play a number of games against MS and AL teams just to fill out a 24 game schedule  If we played in a 8 team district that number drops to 10 out of district games. Also, when you play in a 4 team district there is no incentive to make your program better when all four teams qualify for the regional tournament.  Regardless, football is king in TN and whatever works out best for football will decide the fate of this proposal and the other sports will just have to settle for what we get.