Practice

Rebelman51

3 hours ago, Bearettesalltheway said:

If schools wanna practice after school why should they not be able to? 

it has been a few years since my own kids went through but the organization called the tssaa does not allow it until a time period

i agree with you but the rules are in place because some coaches just do not know what time off is and that is apparent in the next town over

On 9/20/2022 at 4:27 AM, EagleOldEyes said:

it has been a few years since my own kids went through but the organization called the tssaa does not allow it until a time period

i agree with you but the rules are in place because some coaches just do not know what time off is and that is apparent in the next town over

I read the official accident report yesterday and it said " player was hurt running a 5 on 4 practice drill. A PRACTICE DRILL - 5 on 4 means we are using more than the 3 players allowed. Coach for Tullahoma was in attendance directing drills and even running plays and player was hurt running practice drills. This is cheating, period. Practice starts October 31 this year and we got a 2 month head start on the field. Its worth losing a week of summer practice or whatever slap on the wrist we got last year when Cody was practicing. 

4 hours ago, Tully123 said:

I read the official accident report yesterday and it said " player was hurt running a 5 on 4 practice drill. A PRACTICE DRILL - 5 on 4 means we are using more than the 3 players allowed. Coach for Tullahoma was in attendance directing drills and even running plays and player was hurt running practice drills. This is cheating, period. Practice starts October 31 this year and we got a 2 month head start on the field. Its worth losing a week of summer practice or whatever slap on the wrist we got last year when Cody was practicing. 

Another school has to make an official complaint, correct? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2022 at 7:30 AM, Tully123 said:

my granddaughters friends who play in Tullahoma have made it known they are indeed practicing.  They have also expressed their wishes that the old coaches be asked to come back because of their dislike of the new staff.  Sounds like tullahoma girls basketball from the 80’s and 90’s 

• 3 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Bearettesalltheway said:

Idk why pratice wouldnt be allowed afyer school. They have to get in shape otherwise they could get injured during games and cost the team. At least getting injured during practice allows the coach time to adjust

I don’t know any team around West TN that is practicing illegally. People aren’t going to do that. Too much liability and principals and superintendents won’t allow it. Administrators and parents are aware of TSSAA rules enough for it not to happen. Illegal transfers and recruiting is what is hurting things. TSSAA isn’t going to do anything anyway so these threads are really a waste of time talking about them.

6 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

I don’t know any team around West TN that is practicing illegally. People aren’t going to do that. Too much liability and principals and superintendents won’t allow it. Administrators and parents are aware of TSSAA rules enough for it not to happen. Illegal transfers and recruiting is what is hurting things. TSSAA isn’t going to do anything anyway so these threads are really a waste of time talking about them.

So your saying no teams are running 5 on 5 plays in practice in west tn 

10 hours ago, TrickyD said:

So your saying no teams are running 5 on 5 plays in practice in west tn 

I don’t know of any. Sure don’t. These kids, parents and administrators know the rules. Winning state titles are not won because a coach is “making” kids practice illegally or more. If a kid doesn’t want to work out and work on their game on their own, they are not going to win any way. You got to want it and have drive and dedication as a player. GC has won three titles and each one they won they had several dedicated girls who worked out without coaches. Greenfield’s title and TCA’s had girls with similar work ethics a few years ago and if I had to bet I would say Westview and McKenzie this year had a bunch that was dedicated. If you got a group that is not doing extra work on their own and have dedication issues they aren’t going to win championships. Very simple. If you have kids that won’t work out without their coach, they won’t make it. A lot of these kids tell you they want to win titles and cry and complain when they don’t win it but they don’t want to put in extra work on their own. Bell ringers. They want to do it their way and it don’t work that way. I told mine in the 7th grade we are either going to have drive and work on our own without the coach and work on our weaknesses or we weren’t playing. Two choices. She went my route, won a title and was in semis in state when Covid sent us home and led state in three’s her senior year in A and AA and lacked 3 three’s leading the whole state. Couldn’t be prouder of her every single day. GC has great coaches and I respect them and love them. But they can only do so much. Got to have self starters and have kids that have true love for the game. If a kid has to be told to go work out or run or lift they shouldn’t be playing, IMO. 

Edited by pioneer42

I can't speak for all teams or  all west tn teams but there are teams  that are holding 5v5 practices everyday during a basketball period. I truly think there are coaches who follow the rules but there are also coaches who don't. I also think there are several people who assume the coaches are practicing illegally when in reality the girls are putting in lots of time on there own. 

Regardless of who is or isn't practicing illegally, I 100 percent agree with pioneer42. It's up to the student to do the individual work. GBB or WBB is no longer about getting what you need pre season, in season, or post season. It's about how hard you are working on your own. When I played I would have never thought to do the things my 7th grader is doing right now. She does weight training, conditioning, agility 4 days a week at 5 am. Then practice/games 4 days a week and ball handling drills 4-5 days/week. For her, she wants it and is willing to put in the work.