CAMDEN AT HUNTINGDON

footballover

On 8/30/2022 at 3:43 PM, Orangefanallday said:

Waverly had a group of players hat was going to be good no matter who coached them. 

Matt McConnell revived the football program at Waverly at a time when it had hit rock bottom.  That’s not directed at Trey Graves either because he had some good moments as head coach at Waverly as well.  

In 2014 when McConnell took it over and got the basketball guys out it was a game changer.  2015-2018 when they had the guys like Stanfield, Bradley, Dixon, Etc. they were one of the best 2A teams in the state.  They had some great battles with Huntingdon and Fairview those years.  

The program that Boldin inherited in 2019 and the program that McConnell inherited in 2014 were not on the same level.  Boldin has continued to make Waverly competitive at a high level but Waverly football learned to win under Matt McConnell & Co.  

8 minutes ago, Waker said:

Camden coaches decide to leave their 1st team in down 49-0 in the 4th and their best player goes down with a injury. What is the thought process with Camden coaches?

He never pulled them at Waverly when we was up 70-0 on Hickman or any other team. That’s the way he plays. This instance I would say to get them young Camden starters field time just a hunch.

6 minutes ago, howdoitknow said:

Matt McConnell revived the football program at Waverly at a time when it had hit rock bottom.  That’s not directed at Trey Graves either because he had some good moments as head coach at Waverly as well.  

In 2014 when McConnell took it over and got the basketball guys out it was a game changer.  2015-2018 when they had the guys like Stanfield, Bradley, Dixon, Etc. they were one of the best 2A teams in the state.  They had some great battles with Huntingdon and Fairview those years.  

The program that Boldin inherited in 2019 and the program that McConnell inherited in 2014 were not on the same level.  Boldin has continued to make Waverly competitive at a high level but Waverly football learned to win under Matt McConnell & Co.  

Dang good post. Waverly was very tough in the late 80s through the mid 90s. We lost something somewhere and now we are back hopefully for a while.

Edited by vandyfan1

When Camden was dominate 10+ years ago, what was their region like in terms of dominance? Was there a team like Westivew (last year) and Huntingdon (consistently)? Camden is one of those teams that if they're good, West Tennessee is good at football. Obviously, they need to be good to help out with rivalry games (Waverly, Huntingdon, and Riverside, etc.) 

I have faith that McConnell can get the job done, but Huntingdon isn't setting the world on fire. Losing by 57 in year 3-4 to Huntingdon is odd to me. Again, I have faith in Camden and their future, but I feel like I'm waiting longer than what I should be waiting on.

8 minutes ago, TryNotToSuck said:

When Camden was dominate 10+ years ago, what was their region like in terms of dominance? Was there a team like Westivew (last year) and Huntingdon (consistently)? Camden is one of those teams that if they're good, West Tennessee is good at football. Obviously, they need to be good to help out with rivalry games (Waverly, Huntingdon, and Riverside, etc.) 

I have faith that McConnell can get the job done, but Huntingdon isn't setting the world on fire. Losing by 57 in year 3-4 to Huntingdon is odd to me. Again, I have faith in Camden and their future, but I feel like I'm waiting longer than what I should be waiting on.

Why is it odd if you don’t the have players to compete. 

Just now, vandyfan1 said:

I think it’s odd with his resume that the athletes aren’t getting pulled from the halls they walk or the basketball or baseball programs to play football. That’s what it takes in small towns. I think you know what I mean.

To add he pulled them at Waverly and I know there are some good athletes that play basketball at Camden.

8 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

I have faith that McConnell can get the job done, but Huntingdon isn't setting the world on fire. Losing by 57 in year 3-4 to Huntingdon is odd to me. Again, I have faith in Camden and their future, but I feel like I'm waiting longer than what I should be waiting 

Edited by Waker