Elizabethton @ Boone @ ETSU

blazer1set

7 hours ago, NETNSportsFan said:

Blazerset1 either got some bad intel early on or just doesn't have confidence in his team. Not sure which. 

Boone has not faced a passing team yet this year, and since Elizabethton had a total of 3 passing yards against Greeneville I'm not sure they'll see it yet. BUT... Eliz. at least did what I thought they should and move #18 to the QB spot. He just didn't get a chance to do much at Greeneville.  Boone's secondary is fast, but the team seems much better at stopping the run game than the passing game. There have been a couple of throws that if they were on-the-money they would have been TDs against Boone. So we'll see. 

I still think the Boone secondary is as good as anyone here in NET.   But to your point it is true that they have not been tested very much yet.

8 hours ago, formerblazer said:

It's absolutely fine to talk football, but you always try the ho hum we are going to lose.  Yeah, been a lot of games we should have won, been a lot of games we shouldn't have won but did, but when your immediate reaction is "Boone lose, everyone else good" it gets old.  The 2022 Boone team is for real, in my opinion anything that isn't 10-0 this particular regular season is an underperforming team.  Playoffs.... well that's the Knoxville hurdle that we can worry about in November.

10-0 would be.... hard to even imagine it.   I think the 2010 team won 8 regular season games if I recall, that is the most in school history.       Let's see how we look this Friday, but if it plays out like many people think then 10-0 is certainly a possibility.

3 hours ago, blazer1set said:

10-0 would be.... hard to even imagine it.   I think the 2010 team won 8 regular season games if I recall, that is the most in school history.       Let's see how we look this Friday, but if it plays out like many people think then 10-0 is certainly a possibility.

Not an easy schedule by any means, Elizabethton, Morristown West (When's the last time we've beat them?) CAK, then Science Hill.  Vols in October schedule.  Next four weeks are the tests, they do that no reason not to be 10-0.

1 hour ago, formerblazer said:

Not an easy schedule by any means, Elizabethton, Morristown West (When's the last time we've beat them?) CAK, then Science Hill.  Vols in October schedule.  Next four weeks are the tests, they do that no reason not to be 10-0.

I like your way of thinking.   I agree that MoWest is looking better this year than I thought they would, very likely the winner of that game wins the R1/5A top spot.     CAK is hard to predict since we don't have any common opponents with them.    Science Hill....  until last week I would have said they have no offense but then they hang 40-something on West Ridge and probably could have been more.   But the Hill has not yet seen a defense like Boone's either.  Plus they have to play Powell and Maryville before the Boone game so hopefully that will be 2 more losses, although Powell may not be as good as everyone thought.

On 9/3/2022 at 5:17 PM, EHSTrack06 said:

Well this one is over before it starts. If Boone can score 70 on Cherokee we don't have a prayer haha

You seem to be very close to the Betsy program, please rest assured that the Boone coaches are not taking this game lightly.   I personally know some of the coaches and they fully respect Elizabethton's program.    I think Boone wins this one because we just happen to have a better team but don't throw in the towel until it's over...   Going to be exciting playing at the ETSU venue

2 hours ago, blazer1set said:

You seem to be very close to the Betsy program, please rest assured that the Boone coaches are not taking this game lightly.   I personally know some of the coaches and they fully respect Elizabethton's program.    I think Boone wins this one because we just happen to have a better team but don't throw in the towel until it's over...   Going to be exciting playing at the ETSU venue

I agree. ETSU will be a great experience for both teams and fans. Boone seems like they are for real this season and if I were to pull for a team that beats us it's you guys. You all have a special team this year and I think you could make a lot of noise in 5a

Just my opinion but when you have success like Elizabethton has had over the past few years. When you win 2 out of 3 state championships parents/fans expectations are going to be high.And there is a standard.

Let's be honest from a football perspective offensively when you graduate kids like Hughes and Rollins that accounted for the majority of your offense and those two kids are a rare breed of athletes that you might not see for a long time. Same thing with Cory Russell that played there. And then you look at the hogs they had on both sides of the ball the 2 years they won it back to back. 

This is a different team with a totally different identity than your past 3 seasons. You don't have a certain QB that is seasoned much less gotten a lot of reps. You don't have a freak of an athlete like Hughes that could catch anything threw at him in a 10 mile radius and get it out and go in the backfield with allusive play making abilities.

You also hear that the playbook is vanilla and Elizabethton doesn't throw the ball enough. Well there could be a reason for that. Their not the type of team that is going to have success throwing the ball 15 or 20 times a game. That's just not who they are. Now do I think they need to throw it down the field a little more yes but as far as them throwing the ball all over the field consistently and having success  that's not gonna happen with the situation their in.

Offensively- They're going to have to be more consistent and tougher up front so they can establish a running game. Also they have to block better in the flats.

Coaches gotta find a way to get the ball into Orton and Griffins hands down the field to take some pressure off Russell and Stephens. They are to athletic and very capable of making big time plays.

Defensively- I don't think they are playing that bad but their secondary has to do a better job of defending the pass. Tackling has got to be a little better but that will get fixed. Greeneville had 18 first downs to our 4 on Friday so more 3 and outs and ability to create turnovers needs to be a main focus as well.

Bottom line is the seniors hasn't ever had to be in a situation like they are going through right now facing  a potential 0-3 start. The only thing the cyclones can do going forward is to keep getting better at all the little detailed things and ignore any negativity and focus on being a better football team each day.

"Just my 2 cents"

Edited by Bigslydog1983

10 minutes ago, Bigslydog1983 said:

Just my opinion but when you have success like Elizabethton has had over the past few years. When you win 2 out of 3 state championships parents/fans expectations are going to be high.And there is a standard.

Let's be honest from a football perspective offensively when you graduate kids like Hughes and Rollins that accounted for the majority of your offense and those two kids are a rare breed of athletes that you might not see for a long time. Same thing with Cory Russell that played there. And then you look at the hogs they had on both sides of the ball the 2 years they won it back to back. 

This is a different team with a totally different identity than your past 3 seasons. You don't have a certain QB that is seasoned much less gotten a lot of reps. You don't have a freak of an athlete like Hughes that could catch anything threw at him in a 10 mile radius and get it out and go in the backfield with allusive play making abilities.

You also hear that the playbook is vanilla and Elizabethton doesn't throw the ball enough. Well there could be a reason for that. Their not the type of team that is going to have success throwing the ball 15 or 20 times a game. That's just not who they are. Now do I think they need to throw it down the field a little more yes but as far as them throwing the ball all over the field consistently and having success  that's not gonna happen with the situation their in.

Offensively- They're going to have to be more consistent and tougher up front so they can establish a running game. Also they have to block better in the flats.

Coaches gotta find a way to get the ball into Orton and Griffins hands down the field to take some pressure off Russell and Stephens. They are to athletic and very capable of making big time plays.

Defensively- I don't think they are playing that bad but their secondary has to do a better job of defending the pass. Tackling has got to be a little better but that will get fixed. Greeneville had 18 first downs to our 4 on Friday so more 3 and outs and ability to create turnovers needs to be a main focus as well.

Bottom line is the seniors hasn't ever had to be in a situation like they are going through right now facing  a potential 0-3 start. The only thing the cyclones can do going forward is to keep getting better at all the little detailed things and ignore any negativity and focus on being a better football team each day.

"Just my 2 cents"

I like what you said about players, staff, and parents having high expectations an that's true. As a Greeneville fan I can say we've been there, heck we still have really high expectations every year. Most of these young men have been watching the devil's play since they were kids they know what's expected of them they know what they're there to do. That drives them to be better. We've been the big dogs an we've also had our season ended early unexpectedly, on more then one occasion lol. If the system is there which is sounds like it is then all of those people have got to have faith in the system. your program will reload the foundation is already there.

2 hours ago, Bigslydog1983 said:

"Just my 2 cents"

Well said!!

1 hour ago, KEV-O said:

I like what you said about players, staff, and parents having high expectations an that's true. As a Greeneville fan I can say we've been there, heck we still have really high expectations every year. Most of these young men have been watching the devil's play since they were kids they know what's expected of them they know what they're there to do. That drives them to be better. We've been the big dogs an we've also had our season ended early unexpectedly, on more then one occasion lol. If the system is there which is sounds like it is then all of those people have got to have faith in the system. your program will reload the foundation is already there.

Isn’t high school football the best!!

• Upvote 1