South Pittsburg vs Murphy (stone man against this Watson man)

Roy Dillard

Nothing but respect for South Pitt and your program.  You guys are the standard by which other TN 1A teams are judged.

Your guys may very well run us off the field Friday night but they'll know they've been in a ball game when they wake up Saturday morning lol.

I just hope for good weather and a good clean injury-free game.

• Like 3

On 9/3/2022 at 8:07 PM, orngnblk said:

I have family in the Hayesville area and they to said this team is not like the Murphy teams of past.Im going to agree with you but I'm saying 14 to 21.SP skill players are tough.

Your Hayesville family is correct, this Murphy team lacks the skill talent and speed of past iterations and doesn't have the same level of coaching either.

Murphy just doesn't have the same caliber of athletes coming through the pipeline these days and when you couple that with clear question marks with parts of the coaching staff you're left with what is soon to be a shell of the program of yesteryear I'm afraid. 

Edited by mbdfan

11 hours ago, TheCommander said:

Yeah but I’d take what SP has over what Murphy has. Just because of the speed alone. 

Murphy has had teams that could have matched up athlete wise with this SP team and have beat teams with more speed and athletes than South Pitt will put on the field Friday in the past (Albemarle, Mountain Island, Plymouth, etc.) but that's irrelevant as far as Friday goes, this isn't those Murphy teams.

With that said I think Murphy could keep things interesting Friday for a bit with their size upfront and the power run game, I think in the end South Pitt's talent and athlete advantage wins out. Murphy will likely struggle on D, this is one of the weakest secondaries Murphy has ever fielded and Murphy is deficient at middle linebacker, too much youth and a lack of speed. 

Edited by mbdfan

18 minutes ago, mbdfan said:

Your Hayesville family is correct, this Murphy team lacks the skill talent and speed of past iterations and doesn't have the same level of coaching either.

Murphy just doesn't have the same caliber of athletes coming through the pipeline these days and when you couple that with mediocre coaching you're left with what is soon to be a shell of the program of yesteryear I'm afraid. 

I wasnt going to comment on the coaching because I havent seen them in person.But what you refer to is exactly what I was told.We rode thru Murphy last Fri on the bike heading to Highlands (our favorite ride).NC folks love to talk football just like we do!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, orngnblk said:

I wasnt going to comment on the coaching because I havent seen them in person.But what you refer to is exactly what I was told.We rode thru Murphy last Fri on the bike heading to Highlands (our favorite ride).NC folks love to talk football just like we do!

Murphy has a couple of young assistant coaches that have potential and are good guys.

Also I don't want it sound like I'm hating on Watson, I'm not. Watson knows football, he was/is a good offensive coordinator. But he just doesn't have the mindset or leadership qualities especially in terms of discipline to be the head man, the CEO, in my honest opinion. He also doesn't have anywhere near the staff Gentry did. 

When Gentry retired so did Murphy's longtime line coach (which has been a huge blow) and Murphy's long time d-coordinator left for a job in Georgia (another huge blow) those two were two of the best assistant coaches in NC 1A football. Those losses hurt just as much if not more than the loss of Gentry. Watson was dealt a rough hand to be fair to the guy.

Edited by mbdfan

19 minutes ago, mbdfan said:

Murphy has a couple of young assistant coaches that have potential and are good guys.

Also I don't want it sound like I'm hating on Watson, I'm not. Watson knows football, he was/is a good offensive coordinator. But he just doesn't have the mindset or leadership qualities especially in terms of discipline to be the head man, the CEO, in my honest opinion. He also doesn't have anywhere near the staff Gentry did, when Gentry retired so did Murphy's longtime line coach (which has been a huge blow) and Murphy's long time d-coordinator left for a job in Georgia (another huge blow) those two were two of the best assistant coaches in NC 1A football. Those losses hurt just as much if not more than the loss of Gentry. Watson was dealt a rough hand to be fair to the guy.

Yes they told me the line coach left and acted as if he was as important or close as the HC leaving.My team is Greenback and we had 4 years in the Championship from 15 to 19 and then our coach got an offer he couldn't refuse and we are in a similar situation.We dont have the type players you all do year in and out but we usually hold our own,now we are trying to get back up but our bunch hired a coach with no big time ball experience and its hurting us badly.

Edited by orngnblk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mhs95 said:

Nothing but respect for South Pitt and your program.  You guys are the standard by which other TN 1A teams are judged.

Your guys may very well run us off the field Friday night but they'll know they've been in a ball game when they wake up Saturday morning lol.

I just hope for good weather and a good clean injury-free game.

I would say Sp has the same respect for Murphy. Sp is really young this year in just about every aspect of the game. We graduated a lot from last season  SP still has some speed at the skill positions but we start A LOT of underclassmen. I wish the game last season would have happened    

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, oneyewilly said:

I wish the game last season would have happened    

I wish it could've happened any time between 2008 and 2020 when Murphy was pumping out really talented team after really talented team virtually every season, to go along with excellent coaching. It saddens me that South Pitt won't get to know what a real Murphy team was all about. 

Edited by mbdfan

1 hour ago, mbdfan said:

Murphy has had teams that could have matched up athlete wise with this SP team and have beat teams with more speed and athletes than South Pitt will put on the field Friday in the past (Albemarle, Mountain Island, Plymouth, etc.) but that's irrelevant as far as Friday goes, this isn't those Murphy teams.

With that said I think Murphy could keep things interesting Friday for a bit with their size upfront and the power run game, I think in the end South Pitt's talent and athlete advantage wins out. Murphy will likely struggle on D, this is one of the weakest secondaries Murphy has ever fielded and Murphy is deficient at middle linebacker, too much youth and a lack of speed. 

Yeah I’m not doubting there is some Murphy teams that could compete with South Pitt, I think last year if the game was played would’ve been a good ball game. I also stated early on the Murphy would compete early but the Pirates would break away eventually and win 35-14! I think the Murphy line will cause the Pirates some issues just because the Pirates are young.