Why no post on Knoxville Catholic.

BarneySox2007

4 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Big Time I think the multiplier rule was sufficient for the most part of the private schools especially the smaller ones. A lot of great rivalries were destroyed out of that leaving a lot of them on long bus rides to play teams like Father Knows Best. T$$AA should of set different levels of the multiplier rule based on what they were offering kids to come there. Most of those schools don't have an athlete on campus to put up with that much scrutiny.

I also forgot about Catholic as a private winning championships in public league. I am sure there are others.

1 hour ago, BigTime1950 said:

I also forgot about Catholic as a private winning championships in public league. I am sure there are others.

Yep KC throttled Beech in the 5A championship in 2017. I wonder if that was the last private school team to win a championship in the public league?

Edited by JRB

On 10/1/2022 at 7:06 AM, cbg said:

It appears as if it will be another 0 and whatever for Father Ryan in region play.  Again don’t blame the coaching staff until both the Board of Trust and administration are held accountable.  They are the ones that have allowed the program to become disgraceful on their watch.  

Sorry @cbg, but but this loss was a bonehead mistake.  Go up by 6 with less than a minute left in the game.  FR pooches the kickoff  and KC starts on their 40.  Ryan goes prevent with corners playing 20 yds off ball.  KC takes the short stuff and drives to the 20.  Instead of putting 4 guys on the goal line with 1.2 seconds left in game and keeping everything in front…FR presses.  It’s like he loses on purpose!:roflolk:

sort of a new board, and new president….let’s see what happens.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2022 at 9:10 AM, BarneySox2007 said:

Maryville played Catholic in a scrimmage this fall in a game like situation and I did hear two of their best players didn't play which was a pretty good scrimmage for both teams exposing each others weaknesses. Just wanted to get a fill of what their fans thought. I am not crazy about the private school setup and nothing against Catholic but their having to run long distances to play schools we're not familiar with in East Tennessee.  I was a GCA fan with having a family member playing for them six years ago but the same holds true with them also. I can't get into those schools and even where their from because their not from this area. I hate to google a school on the schedule especially a couple of them, rather wait until week 4 of the playoffs for that.

Catholic plays those teams because local teams refuse to play.  Look at the basketball schedule, travels to Memphis, Kentucky, Georgia and North Carolina.  The athletic teams are told that their administration won't allow them to play private schools.  I'm sure some don't allow it but I'm pretty sure some use it as an excuse to say no.  The only local teams to play Catholic in basketball is Bearden and Austin-East. Football has been facing that issue for a while.  I can't speak for Coach Mobbs but I'm sure he would like to play Farragut, Bearden, Maryville, and more local teams.

7 hours ago, QSouth89 said:

Catholic plays those teams because local teams refuse to play.  Look at the basketball schedule, travels to Memphis, Kentucky, Georgia and North Carolina.  The athletic teams are told that their administration won't allow them to play private schools.  I'm sure some don't allow it but I'm pretty sure some use it as an excuse to say no.  The only local teams to play Catholic in basketball is Bearden and Austin-East. Football has been facing that issue for a while.  I can't speak for Coach Mobbs but I'm sure he would like to play Farragut, Bearden, Maryville, and more local teams.

And miss all those fun bus rides?????

On 10/1/2022 at 10:50 AM, BarneySox2007 said:

Not trolling Booger, just checking how things stacking up with teams we have played. I did love the Catholic and Maryville series but the T$$AA went and crapped it all up. 

"just checking how things stacking up with teams we have played" dont require any peanut gallery chirping ....

....when one from the PUB sector ventures onto a Private thread and lets his brain housin group start allowin his fingers to pop out constant negative opinions about them private programs and educational institutions...trollin seems to fit a tad bit better than just checkin

...ole BS2007 didnt began this threadin topic on our private sector cause just to be checkin

Booger just sayin :roll:

Edited by Booger

On 10/3/2022 at 3:19 PM, PurplePanther said:

Sorry @cbg, but but this loss was a bonehead mistake.  Go up by 6 with less than a minute left in the game.  FR pooches the kickoff  and KC starts on their 40.  Ryan goes prevent with corners playing 20 yds off ball.  KC takes the short stuff and drives to the 20.  Instead of putting 4 guys on the goal line with 1.2 seconds left in game and keeping everything in front…FR presses.  It’s like he loses on purpose!:roflolk:

In HS football, is the "dreaded" pooch/squib kick the equivalent to prevent defense?  It seems I have seen/read about a couple of games the past 2 weeks where teams either won or had a chance to win because of the excellent field position resulting from a pooch kick.  Is it the right call and teams just do not execute or practice it?

Heartbreaker for Father Knows Best, Mulcahy, Nelson, errrr Ryan.  I know their anemic record in region play.  I wonder their record in one score games??

4 hours ago, JRB said:

In HS football, is the "dreaded" pooch/squib kick the equivalent to prevent defense?  It seems I have seen/read about a couple of games the past 2 weeks where teams either won or had a chance to win because of the excellent field position resulting from a pooch kick.  Is it the right call and teams just do not execute or practice it?

Heartbreaker for Father Knows Best, Mulcahy, Nelson, errrr Ryan.  I know their anemic record in region play.  I wonder their record in one score games??

I love the Father Knows Best line!:D

After the previous score the kicker put it in the Endzone so KC would have had to drive 80yds for the score.  To pooch it and then go prevent was idiotic to me, but I am not a coach. Loose 2 games in a row by 1 with under a minute to go is lunacy.

On 10/3/2022 at 7:19 AM, PurplePanther said:

I have heard all about the poor coaching from friends and former FR football coaches.  The problem that I have with firing the coach/coaching staff is that alone does not change the culture.  The Board of Trust and administration must make a serious commitment to not only football but athletics as a whole or they will never win on a consistent basis.  The only two male sports that win within D2AAA are mens soccer and wrestling.  Both of those sports are coached by people that would be considered “old school” coaches from Elliston Place.  

6 hours ago, cbg said:

I have heard all about the poor coaching from friends and former FR football coaches.  The problem that I have with firing the coach/coaching staff is that alone does not change the culture.  The Board of Trust and administration must make a serious commitment to not only football but athletics as a whole or they will never win on a consistent basis.  The only two male sports that win within D2AAA are mens soccer and wrestling.  Both of those sports are coached by people that would be considered “old school” coaches from Elliston Place.  

We read this from you all the time, but what commitment do you think they are not making?  They have great facilities(weight room and stadium), a middle school program now, have an athletic block, have great fan support, and from what I've heard are giving considerably more financial aid.  What more do you want them to do?

2 hours ago, O3t said:

We read this from you all the time, but what commitment do you think they are not making?  They have great facilities(weight room and stadium), a middle school program now, have an athletic block, have great fan support, and from what I've heard are giving considerably more financial aid.  What more do you want them to do?

You must be willing to recruit athletes that play football and provide them with 100% of the financial aid that they qualify for.  IMO, they probably need 10 football players each season but to make the overall athletic program better those 10 kids must play at a minimum one other sport.  Carlton Flatt had the best idea in that they played football, went into basketball or wrestling and in the Spring they played baseball, soccer or participated in track & field.  The coaches must be made to share athletes and work together.  The facilities are adequate but they don’t have an indoor practice facility which is needed to keep up.   As most people are aware it’s people that create a championship culture and that’s not free.  It would probably cost close to 500,000 per year just for a first class football coaching staff and strength coach.  The strength program is not and has not ever been up to par with other D2AAA schools.  It’s my understanding that Lipscomb spends close to 1 million per season on football.  The culture from the top down must be that you are expected to win championships in everything and be disappointed when you don’t.  We must also understand that Father Ryan is behind the 8 ball when it comes to recruiting because they don’t have a middle school on campus.  JP2 began a middle school this year and it will just put them ahead even more.  The one person that could change the culture and get the athletic department fixed would be Father Ryan alum and former MTSU head football coach and athletic director James “Boots” Donnelly but I have recently been told that the current Board of Trust and administration want nothing to do with his ideas. IMO, the Board of Trust and administration don’t want to hear from Boots because they don’t want to hear that they don’t know what they are doing when it comes to championship athletics.  

Edited by cbg

@cbg @PurplePantherI put 2 kids through Pope and have been told financial aid is need based (via FACTS process) and every family pays something, meaning nobody goes for free.  Fortunate or unfortunate, I did not qualify for financial aid do not have first-hand experience :) My question is, does the BOT and President/Headmaster have the ability to change financial aid or is that a Diocese level decision?

And regarding facilities, I do not know how much expansion Ryan can do as they are very limited with land. Build something off campus similar to what MBA did a few years ago?  Then again a $90M gift goes a long way.