Why no post on Knoxville Catholic.

BarneySox2007

43 minutes ago, JRB said:

@cbg @PurplePantherI put 2 kids through Pope and have been told financial aid is need based (via FACTS process) and every family pays something, meaning nobody goes for free.  Fortunate or unfortunate, I did not qualify for financial aid do not have first-hand experience :) My question is, does the BOT and President/Headmaster have the ability to change financial aid or is that a Diocese level decision?

And regarding facilities, I do not know how much expansion Ryan can do as they are very limited with land. Build something off campus similar to what MBA did a few years ago?  Then again a $90M gift goes a long way.

Financial aid as I understand it:  there are 3 clearing houses that inform schools how much money they may award a family.  Father Ryan uses the clearinghouse that is the most conservative (gives the less money to the families) and unless something has changed Father Ryan does not offer any student 100% of their financial aid like  their competition.  If you are going to participate in D2AAA athletics and you are not doing what your competition is within the rules you are cheating those student that are at the school.  When a great ‘CATHOLIC” athlete can attend MBA and pay less money than if they attended Father Ryan there is a major problem.  The other D2AAA schools in Middle Tennessee also have a middle school.  By having a middle school it makes it much easier to get the student athletes into your school and begin training them in your system.  I cannot confirm the fact but have been told by a reliable source that 20+% of the MBA football are of the Catholic faith.  Again, the Father Ryan athletic department is in shambles and consistently only has two successful programs.  

6 hours ago, cbg said:

Financial aid as I understand it:  there are 3 clearing houses that inform schools how much money they may award a family.  Father Ryan uses the clearinghouse that is the most conservative (gives the less money to the families) and unless something has changed Father Ryan does not offer any student 100% of their financial aid like  their competition.  If you are going to participate in D2AAA athletics and you are not doing what your competition is within the rules you are cheating those student that are at the school.  When a great ‘CATHOLIC” athlete can attend MBA and pay less money than if they attended Father Ryan there is a major problem.  The other D2AAA schools in Middle Tennessee also have a middle school.  By having a middle school it makes it much easier to get the student athletes into your school and begin training them in your system.  I cannot confirm the fact but have been told by a reliable source that 20+% of the MBA football are of the Catholic faith.  Again, the Father Ryan athletic department is in shambles and consistently only has two successful programs.  

When my kids were at St Joe’s, we would play Overbrook in sports.  Overbrook was competitive from grade school through 6th, however 7th and 8th grades not so much because they lost so many students to “across the street”.  I think Overbrook no longer has 7-8th grades.  All that to say I agree with you that many Catholic kids end up at MBA. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JRB said:

When my kids were at St Joe’s, we would play Overbrook in sports.  Overbrook was competitive from grade school through 6th, however 7th and 8th grades not so much because they lost so many students to “across the street”.  I think Overbrook no longer has 7-8th grades.  All that to say I agree with you that many Catholic kids end up at MBA. 

A lot of Catholic families go to MBA and it starts in middle school. MBA has 2 starters from the Catholic Panthers organization which is the middle school equivalent to other schools.  1 is all state in football and a wrestling champion.  Let’s not forget, a lot of the kids also end up at Pearl-Cohn after a brief stint at Ryan.  Kids that were told they couldn’t play certain positions leave, flourish, and get offers in said positions.  This goes back to staff not being able to evaluate talent!  I’ve seen games where they have kids who aren’t even 200lbs going against offensive tackles!

I heard the same thing about Boots and a lot of excitement when he was on campus for Homecoming.  Folks reading tea leaves that aren’t there.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, PurplePanther said:

A lot of Catholic families go to MBA and it starts in middle school. MBA has 2 starters from the Catholic Panthers organization which is the middle school equivalent to other schools.  1 is all state in football and a wrestling champion.  Let’s not forget, a lot of the kids also end up at Pearl-Cohn after a brief stint at Ryan.  Kids that were told they couldn’t play certain positions leave, flourish, and get offers in said positions.  This goes back to staff not being able to evaluate talent!  I’ve seen games where they have kids who aren’t even 200lbs going against offensive tackles!

I heard the same thing about Boots and a lot of excitement when he was on campus for Homecoming.  Folks reading tea leaves that aren’t there.

I would say unequivocally that Boots Donnelly has the most experience when it comes to athletic administration than any other Father Ryan graduate.  The problem is that Boots will not play the political correctness game that a majority of people in today's society seem to love.  If someone's an idiot, he will tell them that they don't have a clue as to what they are talking about.  There is never any reading between the lines as to where you stand with Coach Donnelly and that is a great attribute.  

On 10/1/2022 at 7:32 PM, BigTime1950 said:

I also forgot about Catholic as a private winning championships in public league. I am sure there are others.

Nashville Christian Community College in 2015 also.Best group of Athletes I ever saw on the 1A level.Beat my Cherokees like a drum and could have been MUCH worse!

It's kind of weird for me as an Overbrook Elementary grad that my old junior high doesn't exist anymore, yet I understand why they made the change. Once Father Ryan went co-ed in 1970, merging with all-female Cathedral High School, it shifted the dynamic for St. Cecilia.

For some Catholic families in west Nashville, Overbrook K-6 and MBA 7-12 ends up being a better fit for their boys. And that was true even when Father Ryan was still downtown on Elliston.

And they've always treated me with kindness and respect over at MBA. That includes when I'd show up in a purple shirt to do play-by-play for Father Ryan, back when the school used to actually broadcast its road games. Perhaps again someday.

As for Knoxville Catholic, I could imagine scheduling is challenging considering that every region opponent is in another media market.

If Catholic could pick its own schedule for 2023/2024 and choose any schools they'd like as opponents, who would they want to play?

20% Catholic on the MBA team feels at least directionally right.  There are a fair number for sure, and some really good players.  At the MBA-FRHS game a few weeks ago, one such name was called over the loudspeakers for a big play and I imagine some old school FRHS people threw up in their mouths when they heard it.  Boots Donnelly has a grandson at MBA now.  I talked to one such FRHS alum who has a son playing at MBA.  His only explanation was "I cried like a baby when they tore down the Elliston Place campus."  He did confirm something i suspected--that when MBA essentially mandated that the entry point be 7th grade, versus equally 7th and 9th grade--it had a huge impact on the parochial schools.  In the old days, MBA had essentially no one from those schools enter in 7th grade, and only a really small number in 9th grade.  Now decent numbers from all of them are coming to MBA in 7th grade.  He said the heads of the parochial schools went to MBA years ago and met with Brad Gioia to ask him to stop encouraging those kids to come to MBA in 7th grade, because it was really hurting their schools, in athletics and beyond.  So to CBG's point, a 7th-8th grade now seems essential.  Not sure where it could fit on campus, but will be essential for them to catch up with everyone.  I hate to even float it out there, but the perfect candidate for the FRHS job is MBA DC and FRHS alum Chris Chauvin.

Also, I'm stunned to learn that FRHS doesn't have a freshman team anymore.  Just varsity and JV.  In the old days, those MBA-FRHS freshman games felt like de facto varsity games.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 7:04 PM, IrishBBall said:

I think I’m about the only one that’s posted about/for Knox Catholic for the last few years. Team is very young especially at the skill positions but more importantly, Trevor Duncan a Tennessee signee hasn’t played yet after an off field injury. He should be back soon. He already looks like a SEC defensive lineman and will provide help on both lines. At least Powell and West have played us when it’s hard to get other Knoxville teams to play us. We’ve been short games the last few years because no one will play us. Webb has the best team they’ve had in a while and we both had open dates Friday but they wouldn’t play us. Nothing like passing up a game you could literally walk to when both teams need a game?????

There's always people willing to play, it's just a matter if Knox Catholic is willing to play. 

On 10/5/2022 at 8:13 AM, cbg said:

I have heard all about the poor coaching from friends and former FR football coaches.  The problem that I have with firing the coach/coaching staff is that alone does not change the culture.  The Board of Trust and administration must make a serious commitment to not only football but athletics as a whole or they will never win on a consistent basis.  The only two male sports that win within D2AAA are mens soccer and wrestling.  Both of those sports are coached by people that would be considered “old school” coaches from Elliston Place.  

Wrestling is a good one to win though

On 10/1/2022 at 3:53 PM, JRB said:

Why can’t Maryville schedule Knox Catholic?  Maryville only has 5 region games.  As Purple Panther mentioned, by adding KC it screwed up the schedules for the D2-AAA schools in Nashville (MBA, Father Ryan, BA, Pope and Ensworth) as we now have to travel to Knoxville/Chattanooga or Memphis to round out region play.

If only there were athletes at Baylor, McCallie, Lipscomb, MBA, etc.

Alcoees big sister can schedule Catholic North......they just want.....you can look over the history of the program and see that  outta conferance schedule aint ever been nothin to breast thump bout

its always been bout w-L records just like there lil sister down the street....they aint gonna be nose threat of a loss outside conferance play on the schedules

...Booger ant sayin its wrong, chicken or foul...but it is so...and cant be denied

Booger just sayin:mrgreen:

8 hours ago, Booger said:

Alcoees big sister can schedule Catholic North......they just want.....you can look over the history of the program and see that  outta conferance schedule aint ever been nothin to breast thump bout

its always been bout w-L records just like there lil sister down the street....they aint gonna be nose threat of a loss outside conferance play on the schedules

...Booger ant sayin its wrong, chicken or foul...but it is so...and cant be denied

Booger just sayin:mrgreen:

LOL! You keep believing that Boogy!:rolleyes:

Alcoa out of region has always been the toughest teams that will schedule that "little sister team". Fact!

Alcoa has never been beat by Catholic or Webb. Alcoa had Knox Catholic on the schedule a few years ago. After one of Catholics best teams got beat by Alcoa on their own field, Alcoa was taken off the schedule.

Alcoa tried to get some of those sissy Chattanooga teams to step up and put Alcoa on the schedule. McCallie agreed to a scrimmage, but not a game.....after Alcoa beat a loaded BJ Coleman led blue Tornado team several years ago . 

We won't even go into those lopsided games with catholic south..ND! :thumb:

image.png.6d5a581fdd7c11eda9774951efd59944.png

image.png.fb556f94a22bc8a4e05b15bd34385f59.png

image.png

BTW.........

image.png.42d6d8a477323df2a8d3676afd65ad7e.png

Edited by BCsportsfan

54 minutes ago, BCsportsfan said:

LOL! You keep believing that Boogy!:rolleyes:

Alcoa out of region has always been the toughest teams that will schedule that "little sister team". Fact!

Alcoa has never been beat by Catholic or Webb. Alcoa had Knox Catholic on the schedule a few years ago. After one of Catholics best teams got beat by Alcoa on their own field, Alcoa was taken off the schedule.

Alcoa tried to get some of those sissy Chattanooga teams to step up and put Alcoa on the schedule. McCallie agreed to a scrimmage, but not a game.....after Alcoa beat a loaded BJ Coleman led blue Tornado team several years ago . 

We won't even go into those lopsided games with catholic south..ND! :thumb:

image.png.6d5a581fdd7c11eda9774951efd59944.png

image.png.fb556f94a22bc8a4e05b15bd34385f59.png

image.png

BTW.........

image.png.42d6d8a477323df2a8d3676afd65ad7e.png

was never a Booger doubt that treble hook was gonna hook Booger a Goon.....plus an impressive stat presentation....Go Twisters!

Booger just sayin Mose's Fish Shop Tartar Sauce | Try it…you'll be hooked!