Current Super 32 entries

WrestlingGod

The rule that makes sturgill ineligible isn’t the coach it’s that he competed in a tssaa sport the year prior.  Since it is a private school there is no no arise move of his whole family that applies-there is not a zone for a private school. And no one believes the coach is going to not watch or assist in any way with any boys practices.  

*no bona fide move applies because there is no zone doesn’t even matter if your entire family moves from Knoxville to Chattanooga or nashville to Knoxville iys the fact that you competed in TN in high school in a tssaa sanctioned sport.  The way it reads even if you played football at one and then transfer and sit out football you are ineligible for basketball or baseball.

10 hours ago, Edholland101 said:

Just to be clear I am at Baylor this year to run the club and Girls wrestling program. I am in no way apart of the boys coaching staff. Most don’t understand because they are selfish but I’m willing to step to the side to give athletes better opportunities for themselves to achieve the goals they want. If anyone would like to question the “coaching link” I will gladly show the email from Mark Reeves that I have that tell me exactly what I’m allowed to do and not allowed to do this year 

Will you be employed by Baylor?

Actually the transfer rule for boarding school athletes says….

(a) the student is moving to a boarding school and has no athletic record the previous twelve months in any sport;

You cannot switch from public to private if you participated in a TSSAA sanctioned sport the prior 12 months. You have to sit out.  If you let someone do it in wrestling then football can easily use that to make a case and it snowballs.

3 hours ago, Manhole said:

Actually the transfer rule for boarding school athletes says….

(a) the student is moving to a boarding school and has no athletic record the previous twelve months in any sport;

You cannot switch from public to private if you participated in a TSSAA sanctioned sport the prior 12 months. You have to sit out.  If you let someone do it in wrestling then football can easily use that to make a case and it snowballs.

I’m not going to Google the handbook but with McCallie and Baylor the rule is that for boarding students or people that move is that transfers of instate students have to be outside the school territory/zone which for both schools is 30 miles(think Bradley and Hamilton county schools)   So students who transfer with athletic record within that 30 miles radius have to sit out a year even if they board, but any other students statewide with an athletic record who are outside of the 30 mile radius who either board or move they do not have to sit out.  

When James Howard went to McCallie as a Freshmen he had to sit out even though he boarded because he competed for East Hamilton as an 8th grader and they are within the McCallie 30 mile zone. 

When Gavin Gagle transferred from CAK to McCallie, Trey Bates and Noah Hoarst transferred from Beech to Baylor, they didn’t have to sit out, because they were outside the 30 mile zone.  

Sturgill is also outside the 30 mile zone so he does not have to sit out this year.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, durdon said:

I’m not going to Google the handbook but with McCallie and Baylor the rule is that for boarding students or people that move is that transfers of instate students have to be outside the school territory/zone which for both schools is 30 miles(think Bradley and Hamilton county schools)   So students who transfer with athletic record within that 30 miles radius have to sit out a year even if they board, but any other students statewide with an athletic record who are outside of the 30 mile radius who either board or move they do not have to sit out.  

When James Howard went to McCallie as a Freshmen he had to sit out even though he boarded because he competed for East Hamilton as an 8th grader and they are within the McCallie 30 mile zone. 

When Gavin Gagle transferred from CAK to McCallie, Trey Bates and Noah Hoarst transferred from Beech to Baylor, they didn’t have to sit out, because they were outside the 30 mile zone.  

Sturgill is also outside the 30 mile zone so he does not have to sit out this year.  

His eligibility has nothing to do where he moved. Baylor is boarding so that’s a bona fide change(regardless if it’s not fair for everyone else)

It has to do with him FOLLOWING his coach which he had an athletic record with last year.

3) transferring into a school where a former coach has been hired; and (4) transferring to a school where a former or current personal trainer or strength and conditioning coach is employed

On 9/8/2022 at 9:31 PM, oceansize42 said:

Nobody really cares when it comes to wrestling, or at least I don’t.  I think football is where feelings get really hurt.   Kids should go where they want.  This sport is hard and if they want it then chase it. 

I agree.  The rule kept us from transferring to Halls this year.  

23 hours ago, noonesfool said:

Actually they do, whether it’s right or wrong.

No, actually they don’t.  Every school has a zone that parents have to move out of before the student athlete is Eligible to participate.  For McCallie and Baylor that zone is much larger than any other schools in the state.  Whether you like it or not but boarding isn’t a legitimate move.  

20 hours ago, Rasslinking said:

His eligibility has nothing to do where he moved. Baylor is boarding so that’s a bona fide change(regardless if it’s not fair for everyone else)

It has to do with him FOLLOWING his coach which he had an athletic record with last year.

3) transferring into a school where a former coach has been hired; and (4) transferring to a school where a former or current personal trainer or strength and conditioning coach is employed