POWELL @ CLINTON

92Dragon

On 9/17/2022 at 2:40 PM, Mavericksinflight said:

This is going to a crazy run to the finish line. A photo finish. Fun to watch. West However is playing like a level above, as for now. But who knows who will be ready come playoffs. 

Listen Davey you worry about 4A we will worry about 5A big boy football. When you play Oak Ridge we will talk also. Until then keep shaving kids to stay in 4A. Door is open if you want to play us next year also. RWR

On 9/17/2022 at 4:19 PM, osunut2 said:

I'm not sure that their schedules are that different. Here's West's, ranked by yours truly:

1. Alcoa
  2. Maryville
  3. Farragut
  4. Bearden
  5. Sevier County (BIG jump from 3/4 to 5)
  6. Central
  7. Fulton
  8. Halls
  9. Heritage
  10. Cocke County

Here's Powell's:

1. Maryville (West's #2)
  2. Anderson County (step below Maryville, above Bearden/Farragut)
  3. Catholic (step below Maryville, above Bearden/Farragut)
  4. Science Hill
  5. Oak Ridge
  6. Clinton
  7. Karns
  8. Campbell County
  9. Halls (West's #8)
  10. Lenoir City

When all is said and done, strength of schedule isn't going to look a lot different at the top. As far as region opponents are concerned, I do think that Region 3 is ahead of Region 2 from top to bottom, but it's not a wide gap.

That said, Powell definitely doesn't have many games on the schedule where they can relax, especially with Bishop at Karns, Campbell County slinging it around like they always do, a much improved Clinton team, OR with all of those athletes (and Cummings at the helm), and even an improved Lenoir City team who almost beat Loudon and Campbell County.

We still have the tougher schedule. 

• Sad 1

On 9/17/2022 at 2:00 PM, osunut2 said:

CC couldn't stop Bishop, and Karns has no defense. Clinton is much improved, and Powell isn't as good as last year (largely because they can't get out of their own way). OR is improved, but they have injuries everywhere.

It's going to be a wild October in this region.

I would say you are right, and I don't think anyone in this region will be able to get past West, who seems to be really playing well right now. Get to see them on Packervision this week vs Alcoa I think,

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

I would say you are right, and I don't think anyone in this region will be able to get past West, who seems to be really playing well right now. Get to see them on Packervision this week vs Alcoa I think,

Agreed. It'll be interesting to see them against a team like Alcoa. West is solid, and they look a lot like they did last season. They have maulers up front, which allows them to run the ball very effectively. They also have a very active, athletic defense, and they're very solid on special teams. Their clear weakness is in the passing game, which is very pedestrian. A team with a very solid front 4 (or 7) will give them fits, like we saw against Powell last November. Nolen and Soles completely took them out of their offensive gameplan, and they didn't have much of a passing game to fall back on.

I just don't see anyone in Regions 1-4 with that kind of defense this season; Boone has been really solid defensively, but I haven't watched them yet, so I have no idea how they would match up.

26 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Agreed. It'll be interesting to see them against a team like Alcoa. West is solid, and they look a lot like they did last season. They have maulers up front, which allows them to run the ball very effectively. They also have a very active, athletic defense, and they're very solid on special teams. Their clear weakness is in the passing game, which is very pedestrian. A team with a very solid front 4 (or 7) will give them fits, like we saw against Powell last November. Nolen and Soles completely took them out of their offensive gameplan, and they didn't have much of a passing game to fall back on.

I just don't see anyone in Regions 1-4 with that kind of defense this season; Boone has been really solid defensively, but I haven't watched them yet, so I have no idea how they would match up.

I just watched that semifinal game for the first time the other night.  I couldn't believe it, but if Packer was right, It looks like West only lost five starters total (from either side of the ball) based on what he reported in that game.  That reallly surprised me.  

Also, and really the reason I watched, Walter Noland was unbelievable at the HS level.  Absolute gamechanger.

1 hour ago, ILB1999WHS said:

I just watched that semifinal game for the first time the other night.  I couldn't believe it, but if Packer was right, It looks like West only lost five starters total (from either side of the ball) based on what he reported in that game.  That reallly surprised me.  

Also, and really the reason I watched, Walter Noland was unbelievable at the HS level.  Absolute gamechanger.

West returned 19 starters from last years team

1 hour ago, ILB1999WHS said:

Walter was the real deal, especially once he got in game shape. You just couldn't block him, and he completely disrupted what a team like West wanted to do offensively.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Walter was the real deal, especially once he got in game shape. You just couldn't block him, and he completely disrupted what a team like West wanted to do offensively.

Plow ain't got big Walter this year.  If they make it to the semis vs West, will they be able to stop the run?  From what I've seen, their defense is not even close to last years.  West may not have to pass much this year.  

13 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

Plow ain't got big Walter this year.  If they make it to the semis vs West, will they be able to stop the run?  From what I've seen, their defense is not even close to last years.  West may not have to pass much this year.  

Nope. I don't even think Powell gets that far this time around. They still have a lot to prove.

26 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Nope. I don't even think Powell gets that far this time around. They still have a lot to prove.

yeah whoever makes it to semis will get waxed by West.  I'm not sure they can improve passing a great deal at this point.  Probably won't need it until Chatt. if it plays out the way. Rebs are Just on a different level right now .

Edited by oridgecat