Haywood @ Melrose

stacmot

14 hours ago, stacmot said:

Most of the prognosticators (with the exception of the Commercial Appeal) seem to favor Haywood by about 4 touchdowns, but anything can happen when you’re playing Melrose in Orange Mound.

Massey - Haywood 41, Melrose 14
Cal Preps - Haywood 44, Melrose 12
The Jackson Sun - Haywood 45, Melrose 10
The Commercial Appeal - Haywood 34, Melrose 24
@CHARGERFAN have you seen any comments concerning the game in the Daily Memphian?

I know we are at mid-season and you can look at the Golden Wildcat games on YouTube, but here is a link to a preseason preview for Melrose.  I saw another video on YouTube that might give those who don’t know an idea of what the atmosphere at Melrose might be like Friday night.  I don’t want to post the link on Coach T, but if you’d like to search for the video, it dealt with Melrose’s homecoming against Fayette Ware.

Don't have a letdown this week Tomcats.  Stay focused and play like you did against Milan, and you should be okay.

Stacmot - I picked up a couple of blurbs from the Memphis papers on y'alls game:

Commercial Appeal

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/high-school/2022/09/21/tn-high-school-football-germantown-vs-houston-week-6-predictions/69499919007/

Haywood (4-0) at Melrose (4-0) 

When: 7 p.m., Friday 

Rhyan Brown is the leading rusher for Melrose with 371 rushing yards and seven touchdowns. He’s been a big reason why the Golden Wildcats are out to a 4-0 start and an important piece they’ll need to beat Haywood, which also enters the season undefeated. 

Wynston’s pick: Haywood 34, Melrose 24 

Daily Memphian

https://dailymemphian.com/section/sportshigh-school-sports/article/31060/memphis-prep-football-daily-memphian-power-15-munford-stays-on-top

8. Melrose (4-0)

Last week: 10.

Last game: Defeated Fayette-Ware, 18-14, on Sept. 16.

This week: Hosts Brownsville Haywood (4-0) on Friday.

Number to know: 1. Only one game in the area this week features undefeated teams and it will take place in Orange Mound. Haywood will undoubtedly be Melrose’s toughest test; led by former Germantown coach Chris Smith, the Tomcats are ranked third in the state in Class 4A and have advanced to the state semifinals (twice) and title game in each of the last three years.

Edited by CHARGERFAN
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Stacmot - I picked up a couple of blurbs from the Memphis papers on y'alls game:

Commercial Appeal

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/high-school/2022/09/21/tn-high-school-football-germantown-vs-houston-week-6-predictions/69499919007/

Haywood (4-0) at Melrose (4-0) 

When: 7 p.m., Friday 

Rhyan Brown is the leading rusher for Melrose with 371 rushing yards and seven touchdowns. He’s been a big reason why the Golden Wildcats are out to a 4-0 start and an important piece they’ll need to beat Haywood, which also enters the season undefeated. 

Wynston’s pick: Haywood 34, Melrose 24 

Daily Memphian

https://dailymemphian.com/section/sportshigh-school-sports/article/31060/memphis-prep-football-daily-memphian-power-15-munford-stays-on-top

8. Melrose (4-0)

Last week: 10.

Last game: Defeated Fayette-Ware, 18-14, on Sept. 16.

This week: Hosts Brownsville Haywood (4-0) on Friday.

Number to know: 1. Only one game in the area this week features undefeated teams and it will take place in Orange Mound. Haywood will undoubtedly be Melrose’s toughest test; led by former Germantown coach Chris Smith, the Tomcats are ranked third in the state in Class 4A and have advanced to the state semifinals (twice) and title game in each of the last three years.

Thanks @CHARGERFAN, I’ve toyed with the idea of subscribing to the Daily Memphian.  I could be wrong, but it appears they have decent prep sports coverage for this day and age.  As for now, I  have decided against it since we don’t play that many teams from the Memphis metro area.  If we pick up more metro teams next year, I might give in and subscribe.

I appreciate you getting that information together for Tomcat fans.  Good luck against the Trojans next week. 

7 hours ago, stacmot said:

Thanks @CHARGERFAN, I’ve toyed with the idea of subscribing to the Daily Memphian.  I could be wrong, but it appears they have decent prep sports coverage for this day and age.  As for now, I  have decided against it since we don’t play that many teams from the Memphis metro area.  If we pick up more metro teams next year, I might give in and subscribe.

I appreciate you getting that information together for Tomcat fans.  Good luck against the Trojans next week. 

Thanks for thoughts on next week’s Covington Dyersburg game. 

John Varlas is the prep sports writer for the Daily Memphian. He does a good job, and I trade e-mails with him regarding Covington football on occasion. They consider Tipton County part of the “Metro” area and cover us pretty well. Haywood does not get as much attention. I subscribe both for prep stuff, and for Memphis Tiger coverage. 

BTW, will you be making the trek across the Hatchie when the Tomcats visit the Chargers later in the season? If so, hope to see you then.

20 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Thanks for thoughts on next week’s Covington Dyersburg game. 

John Varlas is the prep sports writer for the Daily Memphian. He does a good job, and I trade e-mails with him regarding Covington football on occasion. They consider Tipton County part of the “Metro” area and cover us pretty well. Haywood does not get as much attention. I subscribe both for prep stuff, and for Memphis Tiger coverage. 

BTW, will you be making the trek across the Hatchie when the Tomcats visit the Chargers later in the season? If so, hope to see you then.1178

John Varlas does seem to do a good job.  I sometimes get a look at a tweet or two of his before I get a message telling me to create an account.  I don't do twitter or facebook (as far as creating accounts are concerned), so I do miss out on a lot of sports news. 

I'll message you about the Covington-Haywood game when we get closer to the 21st.

I hope we get through the Melrose game without any problems.  I'm praying for a clean injury free game.  Safe travels too!

Go Tomcats!

Edited by stacmot