Who is your top 10 5A football teams in the state?

GaddyDaddy

12 hours ago, MJGOLDENBEARS said:

Exactly… West seems to be head and shoulders over the rest… they definitely impress on all fronts.. looks category, speed, impressive wins, well coached, good talent pool…

Don't forget size, strength, and depth, they return 18 starters from last year.  The kids only play one side of the ball and they have quality back ups across the board.  It's going to take a great team to get these guys this year.  

On 9/20/2022 at 3:32 PM, blazer1set said:

I would say the 2009 Boone team was the greatest, going 8-2 and beating Kingsport, Johnson City and Bristol for the only time ever in the same season.    This 2022 team has an incredible defense and special teams unit, and it is possible this could be the best bunch of Boonies ever but let's get a few more games and see what happens.

I know you're enjoying this season so far Blazer , It's nice to see Boone playing great Ball . Would like a chance to see them play this year if I get a chance 

On 9/19/2022 at 10:09 AM, blazer1set said:

I would think Knox West is #1 at this point.       Here is something to consider, West has to play Alcoa and Maryville and it is probable they will lose both games, but let's say they run the table on the rest of the games.   Should that affect their 5A standing?     Or are these "polls" just a semi-biased coin-flip type of opinion anyway?

if West loses both those games (and plays competitively in both) and runs the table on the rest of their games they would have to be the favored to represent the East in the 5A championship 

1 hour ago, oridgecat said:

Don't forget size, strength, and depth, they return 18 starters from last year.  The kids only play one side of the ball and they have quality back ups across the board.  It's going to take a great team to get these guys this year.  

Yes, page is supposedly the best from our area… I’ve watched some film and I’m not that impressed

37 minutes ago, TheCommissioner said:

if West loses both those games (and plays competitively in both) and runs the table on the rest of their games they would have to be the favored to represent the East in the 5A championship 

Well I can go ahead and tell you they aren't losing both games since they beat Alcoa last night 29 to 26.  They have a week 10 matchup with Maryville and will be the favorite in that game too. (As long as they stay healthy).  I watched West live against Bearden in Week 1 and on TV last night and don't see anyone in the East or West taking them this year.  They are loaded with Athletes, Size, and a QB thats is a great game manager

9 minutes ago, GaddyDaddy said:

I must be the only one that believes then. I'll shut up and be negative like everyone else I guess. 

I'm not being negative, I know what I'm watching.  If you believe that this OR team has a shot at gold, then I'm sorry pal, you are not dealing in reality.  That doesn't make me negative, it makes me realistic.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Swipes said:

Well I can go ahead and tell you they aren't losing both games since they beat Alcoa last night 29 to 26.  They have a week 10 matchup with Maryville and will be the favorite in that game too. (As long as they stay healthy).  I watched West live against Bearden in Week 1 and on TV last night and don't see anyone in the East or West taking them this year.  They are loaded with Athletes, Size, and a QB thats is a great game manager

thanks for correcting me I obviously wasn’t aware of the game last night 

33 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

I'm not being negative, I know what I'm watching.  If you believe that this OR team has a shot at gold, then I'm sorry pal, you are not dealing in reality.  That doesn't make me negative, it makes me realistic.  

So two years ago you believed that team would make it all the way to the state championship?