Dyersburg visits Covington - Sept. 30

CHARGERFAN

I would imagine that coach K in C town will have his boys ready to play some ball... 

Also, after the tail whipping they took against Peabody, I would fully expect the Trojans to be ready to play some ball as well. DBurg has the athletes to contain the offensive attack that comes from the chargers, but do they have the will and the guts to pull it off?

I like Covington in this contest. I think they will win by 2 scores. 

22 minutes ago, Tomcatfan2011 said:

Covington by 3 scores. Dyersburg is a year away

Agree Tomcatfan... Dyersburg is a year away from competing in these types of games, but maybe two years away form being very good. A bunch of young talent, but inexperienced at the high school level. Playing some freshmen and sophomores in many of the key positions. With that being said, I'm going to beat a dead horse again. I have been saying for years that the offense at Dburg is too basic with no creativity. I know that hurts some feelings on here when I talk about this. There was alot of grumbling in the stands about the lack of creativity Friday night. Many saying "here we go, sweep right, sweep left, up the middle then punt. I'm not saying Stowe is in trouble or anything, but I don't feel that he maximizes his talent the way he could. Just my thoughts!!

1 hour ago, Dash said:

Agree Tomcatfan... Dyersburg is a year away from competing in these types of games, but maybe two years away form being very good. A bunch of young talent, but inexperienced at the high school level. Playing some freshmen and sophomores in many of the key positions. With that being said, I'm going to beat a dead horse again. I have been saying for years that the offense at Dburg is too basic with no creativity. I know that hurts some feelings on here when I talk about this. There was alot of grumbling in the stands about the lack of creativity Friday night. Many saying "here we go, sweep right, sweep left, up the middle then punt. I'm not saying Stowe is in trouble or anything, but I don't feel that he maximizes his talent the way he could. Just my thoughts!!

It’s the same offense he has been running since he has been a head coach. It’s the same offense he ran last year. The same offense he ran in Haywood. Sometimes you have to run something that will fit the type of players you have. It might be a rebuilding year but the Dyersburg fans are not happy! 

I don't want to put a target on any young player because that is truly unfair to any person just playing a game. However, there is a player that is in Dyersburg that has a chance to be a "D-1" type player. He already checks the boxes to me. 

I can see Dyersburg's future being really bright, but what irritates me is there are coaches are unwilling to adjust to what they have . KYP (know your personal).

Lexington did this back in 2013/14. They were a state championship team. The problem with them is that have a pretty good mobile quarterback, a 6'3/4 running back, a good complimentary wide receiver, and another running back that had really good speed. What was Lexington's problem? The didn't run a spread/pro style offense where that 6'3/4 running back, Tariquious Tisdale, should've been a TE/WR and space the team out and create 1-on-1 opportunities. Loading the box doesn't equal great success in November, because there is no plan B.

As for this game between Covington and Dburg, I think Dburg will keep it close for a quarter or so then Covington wears them down and runs off in the second half to win by 3 scores. That seems to be the pattern for Dburg this year against formidable opponents. Good first quarter, then down hill from there. 

Here are a couple of blurbs on this game from the Memphis papers:

Commercial Appeal

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/high-school/2022/09/28/collierville-germantown-tssaa-football-week-7-plus-predictions/69515165007/

Dyersburg (3-3, 2-0 Region 7-3A) at Covington (4-1, 2-0) 

When: 7 p.m., Friday 

Covington is coming off an open week, meaning Jamarion Dowell and Skylan Smith are fresh. It’s exactly what the Chargers need to keep this win streak up. They’ve won the last four games and as Dowell and Smith go, so does this team. The last four games, Covington is averaging 44 points per game.  

Wilcox's pick: Covington 40, Dyersburg 14 

Daily Memphian

https://dailymemphian.com/section/sportshigh-school-sports/article/31225/memphis-daily-memphian-power-15-munford-sharp-northpoint-debuts

3. Covington (4-1)

Last week: 4

Last game: Defeated Ripley, 42-7, on Sept. 16.

This week: Hosts Dyersburg (3-3, 1-0 Region 7-3A) on Friday.

Number to know: 13. The Chargers’ defense has played a key role in the team’s four-game winning streak. Since allowing 28 points to Munford in a Week 1 loss, Covington has allowed just 13 points, shutting out Jackson Northside and Millington and holding Brighton to six points on Sept. 9.