UNRULY PARENTS DRIVING OUT REFS AND COACHES

GeneralForrest

• GeneralForrest changed the title to UNRULY PARENTS DRIVING OUT REFS AND COACHES

Big reason why there's a shortage:

$115 per Friday night game ...

3:30-5:30 .. Drive to game (you pay the gas)

5:30-7:00 .. Get dressed, pregame, talk to coaches, go thru all checklists for the game, check equipment

7:00-8:00 .. Kickoff and first half (get screamed and cursed at, run about a mile) 

8:00-8:20 .. Halftime (rest, eat a bag of chips and a bottle of water if the school is nice enough to provide it) 

8:20-9:30 .. 2nd half (get cursed and screamed at even worse, especially if the game is tight going down the stretch, run another mile)

9:30 -10:00 .. Leave the field with police as security, shower, change clothes, leave the school

10:00-10:15 .. Drive to the closest fast food joint because you're starving

10:15-10:45 .. wait in line and eventually scarf down a dry burger with fries

10:45-12:45 .. Drive home (you once again pay the gas) 

Hopefully be in bed by 1:30 am .. 

3:30 - 12:30 is 9 hours ... 

$115 for 9 hours equals $12.77 per hour 

Oh yeah, take off $20 in gas .. 

$95 for 9 hours equals $10.50 per hour .. 

(You've also spent $400 on equipment, officials pants, shirts, shoes, flags etc) 

Any idea what a high school profits on a Friday night game ??? These officials are the guys you gotta have to make that money ... They do it because they love it .. not for the money ... While you are watching your kids play, they are away from their families .. Pay em .. they earn it .. and from what they have to go thru, they deserve it !!!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

38 minutes ago, wholder said:

5:30-7:00 .. Get dressed, pregame, talk to coaches, go thru all checklists for the game, check equipment

7:00-8:00 .. Kickoff and first half (get screamed and cursed at, run about a mile) 

8:00-8:20 .. Halftime (rest, eat a bag of chips and a bottle of water if the school is nice enough to provide it) 

8:20-9:30 .. 2nd half (get cursed and screamed at even worse, especially if the game is tight going down the stretch, run another mile)

9:30 -10:00 .. Leave the field with police as security, shower, change clothes, leave the school

(You've also spent $400 on equipment, officials pants, shirts, shoes, flags etc) 

Any idea what a high school profits on a Friday night game ??? These officials are the guys you gotta have to make that money ... They do it because they love it .. not for the money ... While you are watching your kids play, they are away from their families .. Pay em .. they earn it .. and from what they have to go thru, they deserve it !!!!

As a referee/umpire thank you! Most people/fans think we just show up and get paid for getting yelled at and jogging a little bit.  I’m going to save this post for when I have to explain why I’ve stopped officiating high school sports. I do strictly Jr. high games and travel ball now, because of half the things you just mentioned. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts22 said:

As a referee/umpire thank you! Most people/fans think we just show up and get paid for getting yelled at and jogging a little bit.  I’m going to save this post for when I have to explain why I’ve stopped officiating high school sports. I do strictly Jr. high games and travel ball now, because of half the things you just mentioned. 

I'd love to hear more on this thread. Thats what its for. Lets talk about it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wholder said:

this was very good. did you watch the video?  i loled at your post multiple times. i think we fans just decide if a game isnt going our way, that the local AD or the TSSAA is paying off the refs. 

2 hours ago, GeneralForrest said:

This is a fascinating watch. I'll have comments in a bit. It's 5 minutes long. 

You see it every day on the news, how children are defiant toward any figure of authority, law enforcement, teachers, coaches, school administrators, and even referees.... and they're learning it from watching their parents' actions or hearing their parents talk disrespectfully about these people. Lack of respect is growing and it will only get worse until it's handled. Naturally there are some in authority who don't represent their position very well, which the media sometimes tries to point out as being the norm. The vast majority of the authority people I mentioned above are good, honest people. They may make mistakes occasionally - as humans do - but they still had/have the child's best interest in mind. 
Children learn more from seeing their parents' actions than what the parents tells their child.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, blitzinbuc said:

You see it every day on the news, how children are defiant toward any figure of authority, law enforcement, teachers, coaches, school administrators, and even referees

i think you made a good post.

cops, many of them dont deserve respect. some teachers dont either.

unfortunately the inner cities are worse than any of our neighborhoods. an overall respect for adults, i agree. that is a good thing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheTruthHurts22 said:

I don't know how you guys miss so many calls. I mean, granted I have a better view of the field than you do since I'm sitting higher up, but that shouldn't matter right? I mean, you're right on top of the action. Of course you have to pay attention to 22 people at one time as well as try not to get run over, stay out of the way, follow your assignments, etc. But if I saw it from 65 yards away

And why do you guys always have it out for my team? It's like you look for reasons to throw a flag against us. Yeah, we did get away with a hold, and we were close to committing pass interference, probably actually did. But you clearly missed them being off sides! That just proves that you didn't want us to win!

For the record, this post is full of sarcasm for any that might miss it.

Edited by The Drunken Sailor
  • Sad 1

Just now, The Drunken Sailor said:

I don't know how you guys miss so many calls. I mean, granted I have a better view of the field than you do since I'm sitting higher up, but that shouldn't matter right? I mean, you're right on top of the action. Of course you have to pay attention to 22 people at one time as well as try not to get run over, stay out of the way, follow your assignments, etc. But if I saw it from 65 yards away

And why do you guys always have it out for my team? It's like you look for reasons to throw a flag against us. Yeah, we did get away with a hold, and we were close to committing pass interference, probably actually did. But you clearly missed them being off sides! That just proves that you didn't want us to win!

a work of art. 

3 minutes ago, GeneralForrest said:

this was very good. did you watch the video?  i loled at your post multiple times. i think we fans just decide if a game isnt going our way, that the local AD or the TSSAA is paying off the refs. 

Yes I did watched the video. Fans are the first to blame officials for a loss. Just about every week you se it here on the T network. Look at the Fayetteville vs Cornersville game this week. Every week and just about every game someone calls for a horse collar. Most are clueless what the TSSAA says is a horse collar penalty.

1 minute ago, wholder said:

Yes I did watched the video. Fans are the first to blame officials for a loss. Just about every week you se it here on the T network. Look at the Fayetteville vs Cornersville game this week. Every week and just about every game someone calls for a horse collar. Most are clueless what the TSSAA says is a horse collar penalty.

spotting the ball, calling holding when its 50 yards behind the play, usually a scoring play. kid is in the grasp, no whistle, he gets slung down, 15 yard personal foul. i see more refs going on feel than a playbook. if it looks bad it is. and theres no replay. college and pro replay catches all kinds of mistakes.