UNRULY PARENTS DRIVING OUT REFS AND COACHES

GeneralForrest

13 hours ago, THE KING said:

There is a bad problem in Johnson city right now, specifically science Hill.  I've seen things get out of hand before but 2 weeks ago took the cake.  During a 7 and 8 year old game,  the refs had to eject the coach and the science hill parents started brawling with each other. Of course the refs had to call the game in the 3rd quarter 

Ejections and fighting at a 7 and 8 year old game.  That’s Springer material

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, wholder said:

BIG difference from Friday and College ball on Saturday

yes, a HUGE difference in every respect from Friday night ball to college ball and then a even greater divide between those two and Sunday ball.  Some parents seem to feel that the Friday night warriors are ready for Sunday play right now. 

I still feel that the mixing of the rules, of the three levels, in the spectators minds contribute to the ill will and behavior that some of us see and hear on Friday evenings

20 hours ago, wholder said:

Big reason why there's a shortage:

$115 per Friday night game ...

3:30-5:30 .. Drive to game (you pay the gas)

5:30-7:00 .. Get dressed, pregame, talk to coaches, go thru all checklists for the game, check equipment

7:00-8:00 .. Kickoff and first half (get screamed and cursed at, run about a mile) 

8:00-8:20 .. Halftime (rest, eat a bag of chips and a bottle of water if the school is nice enough to provide it) 

8:20-9:30 .. 2nd half (get cursed and screamed at even worse, especially if the game is tight going down the stretch, run another mile)

9:30 -10:00 .. Leave the field with police as security, shower, change clothes, leave the school

10:00-10:15 .. Drive to the closest fast food joint because you're starving

10:15-10:45 .. wait in line and eventually scarf down a dry burger with fries

10:45-12:45 .. Drive home (you once again pay the gas) 

Hopefully be in bed by 1:30 am .. 

3:30 - 12:30 is 9 hours ... 

$115 for 9 hours equals $12.77 per hour 

Oh yeah, take off $20 in gas .. 

$95 for 9 hours equals $10.50 per hour .. 

(You've also spent $400 on equipment, officials pants, shirts, shoes, flags etc) 

Any idea what a high school profits on a Friday night game ??? These officials are the guys you gotta have to make that money ... They do it because they love it .. not for the money ... While you are watching your kids play, they are away from their families .. Pay em .. they earn it .. and from what they have to go thru, they deserve it !!!!

I agree they should be paid more...however, some small schools largest gates will be 2-3 grand at most! makes it tough to pay em much more. TSSAA should chip in a bit to try to retain good officials.

21 minutes ago, old24eagle said:

I agree they should be paid more...however, some small schools largest gates will be 2-3 grand at most! makes it tough to pay em much more. TSSAA should chip in a bit to try to retain good officials.

I agree 100% on this. I'm not sure of this but I do believe in the playoffs TSSAA gets half the gate fee and the other half is distributed between the two schools. 

Key Employees and Officers Compensation
Bernard Childress (Executive Dir.) $192,869
Gene Menees (Assistant Director) $133,549
Mark Reeves (Assistant Director) $125,673
Richard McWhirter (Assistant Director) $123,324
Matthew Gillespie (Assistant Director) $113,520

9 minutes ago, wholder said:

I agree 100% on this. I'm not sure of this but I do believe in the playoffs TSSAA gets half the gate fee and the other half is distributed between the two schools. 

Key Employees and Officers Compensation
Bernard Childress (Executive Dir.) $192,869
Gene Menees (Assistant Director) $133,549
Mark Reeves (Assistant Director) $125,673
Richard McWhirter (Assistant Director) $123,324
Matthew Gillespie (Assistant Director) $113,520

why not just make the officials part time employees paid by the TSSAA?

1. Having been a basketball official I've seen it on a nightly bases and guys I know who call football state the same. The kids these days think they can talk and carry themselves in whatever manner they choose. They watch to much tv and think they can act the same way. 2nd. The school admin,coaches and the barney fifes have no control over the environment they let these adults in the stands and kids on the court do as they please instead setting the tone. TSSAA is to blame as well this is one of the lowest paying states there is. You have very incompetent officials on the field/court every week and the good officials don't want to be apart of that. It shouldn't be you just sign up and get games there is no training involved and then its to many old head calling games and the time has past them you can tell it with their cretinous calls. You want good refs and getting rid of the shortage you must pay more.

18 hours ago, iFootball said:

You’re post is just about spot on. I will say that this year they have required mileage pay. Its not a ton, but an extra $20 or $30 helps. It is a step in the right direction. I don’t have any comment on fans, they are ruthless. 

It's an extra $10 if the round trip is more than 60 miles, and an extra $20 if the round trip is over 120 miles. At least in my association. 

Yes it is a step in the right direction, and I'm grateful for it!

On 9/26/2022 at 12:51 PM, wholder said:

Big reason why there's a shortage:

$115 per Friday night game ...

3:30-5:30 .. Drive to game (you pay the gas)

5:30-7:00 .. Get dressed, pregame, talk to coaches, go thru all checklists for the game, check equipment

7:00-8:00 .. Kickoff and first half (get screamed and cursed at, run about a mile) 

8:00-8:20 .. Halftime (rest, eat a bag of chips and a bottle of water if the school is nice enough to provide it) 

8:20-9:30 .. 2nd half (get cursed and screamed at even worse, especially if the game is tight going down the stretch, run another mile)

9:30 -10:00 .. Leave the field with police as security, shower, change clothes, leave the school

10:00-10:15 .. Drive to the closest fast food joint because you're starving

10:15-10:45 .. wait in line and eventually scarf down a dry burger with fries

10:45-12:45 .. Drive home (you once again pay the gas) 

Hopefully be in bed by 1:30 am .. 

3:30 - 12:30 is 9 hours ... 

$115 for 9 hours equals $12.77 per hour 

Oh yeah, take off $20 in gas .. 

$95 for 9 hours equals $10.50 per hour .. 

(You've also spent $400 on equipment, officials pants, shirts, shoes, flags etc) 

Any idea what a high school profits on a Friday night game ??? These officials are the guys you gotta have to make that money ... They do it because they love it .. not for the money ... While you are watching your kids play, they are away from their families .. Pay em .. they earn it .. and from what they have to go thru, they deserve it !!!!

Hey brother, you forgot to mention the 1.5-2 hours in wages we have to give up to leave work early Friday. Or in my case, finding someone to pick my kid up from school/secure a babysitter, since my wife works till about 6 on Fridays.