UNRULY PARENTS DRIVING OUT REFS AND COACHES

GeneralForrest

41 minutes ago, crazzyness said:

Hey brother, you forgot to mention the 1.5-2 hours in wages we have to give up to leave work early Friday. Or in my case, finding someone to pick my kid up from school/secure a babysitter, since my wife works till about 6 on Fridays. 

That I did.... Makes it a loss for the night all the way around

25 minutes ago, wholder said:

That I did.... Makes it a loss for the night all the way around

as the Baby Boomer generation retires, if there isn’t a recruitment, training, and incentive plan in place, there will be an even greater shortage of officials.  Friday Night Lights will become Wednesday night Lights, Thursday Night Lights.  Regions will have to play their games on nights other than Fridays so the officials can cover more games. Example Region 1 Class A might start the year playing on Thursdays. Region 2 Class A play their games on Thursdays. This will affect/effect the out of region games a team can schedule.  They would have to look at teams that play on the same night of the week as they do.  All this is speculation on my part  

Edited by TheCommissioner

On 9/26/2022 at 7:29 PM, THE KING said:

There is a bad problem in Johnson city right now, specifically science Hill.  I've seen things get out of hand before but 2 weeks ago took the cake.  During a 7 and 8 year old game,  the refs had to eject the coach and the science hill parents started brawling with each other. Of course the refs had to call the game in the 3rd quarter 

Coach is now trying to sue the league and the officials for "dIsCrImInAtIoN." What a clown. And what an absolute cluster. Youth sports will be dead in 30 years. 

Well, calls that are made like the one between east Robertson and Watertown Friday night make folks mad at officials. Called a winning touchdown back for holding the #1 finger up on a long run as the kid crossed the 10 yard line. Terrible. Also refs have lost all knowledge of holding it seems. They allow Jersey to be pulled off kids from 1 team and call it on the other. It’s odd. I really feel they get mad because 1 team may comment to watch a certain thing then take it out on the coach that asked. Sure seems that way in the games I’ve been watching the past 4 years

I will say that the fans (family, friends, other fans) are the main reason that we are having a shortage, but I have seen refs that are literally right in front of the penalty and not throw flags.  I know that each ref is in a certain position to watch certain things from certain parts of either the offense or the defense and they can't see everything.  It happens!  I have seen high-ranking people within the community/state that have been a real "burden" to most of these officials.   The yelling/berating of the officials is just horrible.  I will say that I have given some officials a little bashing over the years but not to the point of actually cussing them or wanting to fight them.  I have figured out which officials tend to officiate our games on a regular basis, those that have a really good time with the game and really enjoy it.   Those I will mess with due to them not getting mad as easily.  I told one once after he got done writing something in his little notepad that "he better write it down in his little Blue's Clue notepad so he wouldn't forget."  He turned around and laughed and said that was one of the best things he had heard during a game and told me thanks for the laugh.  I have seen during a youth league game on Saturday, a coach from the sideline telling his team to get him a flag, so the ref threw a flag on the coach for unsportsmanlike conduct.  The funny thing about this was that the coach was the coach of the flag 2 division of the youth football league.  

6 minutes ago, WannaBeReferee said:

I will say that the fans (family, friends, other fans) are the main reason that we are having a shortage

Wrong.

Fans are always the scapegoat. It's a garbage take. Team is terrible? Fans aren't doing something right. Coach is incompetent? Fans are too mean, and need to be more supportive. 

All fans do is 1) empty their pocketbooks on fees, uniforms, travel, concessions, fund-raisers and more, 2) drive everywhere, 3) deal with their kids not playing enough, getting injured, and terrible play-calling by people who are getting PAID to do their jobs. 4) deal with horrible refs who aren't supposed to be earning a LIVING with this. I thought they enjoyed it and it was supplemental income. All of a sudden we need a union, 401k, and medical benefits. 

But yes. By all means, let's blame fans. Takes zero intelligence or effort. Sort of how these coaches and refs do their actual jobs- no intelligence or effort. 

Edited by GeneralForrest

6 minutes ago, GeneralForrest said:

Wrong.

Fans are always the scapegoat. It's a garbage take. Team is terrible? Fans aren't doing something right. Coach is incompetent? Fans are too mean, and need to be more supportive. 

All fans do is 1) empty their pocketbooks on fees, uniforms, travel, concessions, fund-raisers and more, 2) drive everywhere, 3) deal with their kids not playing enough, getting injured, and terrible play-calling by people who are getting PAID to do their jobs. 4) deal with horrible refs who aren't supposed to be earning a LIVING with this. I thought they enjoyed it and it was supplemental income. All of a sudden we need a union, 401k, and medical benefits. 

But yes. By all means, let's blame fans. Takes zero intelligence or effort. Sort of how these coaches and refs do their actual jobs- no intelligence or effort. 

Spoken like a person who has never coached, or reffed a game in his life.  People in the stands are as bad as they come, and it's simply not worth the abuse for these guys.  Coaches don't threaten to follow you to a parking lot, some idiots dad or mom, does...  Too many parents don't understand this simple fact... YOU CHILD WILL NEVER PLAY COLLEGE OR PRO BALL, no matter what you do or say..

4 minutes ago, ghostofthepast2021 said:

Too many parents don't understand this simple fact... YOU CHILD WILL NEVER PLAY COLLEGE OR PRO BALL, no matter what you do or say..

Interesting twist to the post. It's a straw man that no one mentioned. My youngest kid is 34. He did play at a small college in Maryland.

I think in general, you are projecting, and if you need to scream the above at yourself for it to sink in, knock yourself out. 

College ball from a small high school isn't that unusual. There are plenty of small colleges around. Pro ball is less than a 1 in a million shot, just to add facts to your sort of psychotic self-own above.