Dobyns-Bennett 2022-2023 Early Outlook

TribalEmpire

Dobyns-Bennett future looks really good.  They won the 22nd Annual Knoxville Catholic Fighting Irish Freshman Shoot-Out this weekend. They defeated Anderson County in the quarterfinals 48-28, Knoxville Catholic in the semifinals 48-36, and Austin-East in the Championship 68-41. This was D-B's fourth time winning the tournament (2007, 2011, and 2016).  Very well coached. 

• Like 1

On 11/24/2022 at 8:55 PM, TribalEmpire said:

Well, either the competition in Florida was weak or we found something because we swept all three games down there.  I did see where Gillespie and Day are now back in the lineup, so I am sure that helped a bunch as well.  Next week should be an easy game with Volunteer Tuesday followed by Karns next Friday.  Is Karns typically any good most years?

I guess the competition was weak. DB just lost to Volunteer a few minutes ago. Volunteer. Going to be a long season. Or should I say, short one. Last I heard Science Hill was losing to Unico Co. That would make them 0-6 to start the season. Weird times. 

Edited by WaCoJaCo

3 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

I guess the competition was weak. DB just lost to Volunteer a few minutes ago. Volunteer. Going to be a long season. Or should I say, short one. Last I heard Science Hill was losing to Unico Co. That would make them 0-6 to start the season. Weird times. 

I know Volunteer is 6-0 but DB should’ve won that game. Not sure what’s going on with the Indians. They have plenty of talent. 

Science Hill doesn’t shock me tbh. That is a very young team with very little varsity experience. I think they have 3 seniors, none of whom saw significant playing time last year. I have a feeling Higgins knew this season would be rough. The future looks bright though with lots of talent moving up. 

9 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

Yeah there's no way to sugarcoat it anymore after watching last night. We're really bad right now. 0-2 against the Upper Lakes and neither of those came against the team predicted to win that league in Unicoi. As @WBNC83 said, Volunteer isn't all that either as I saw them last week down at that Sullivan East tournament.

Good news is that I really believe in coach Poore and feel like he can get it turned around at some point. Really you only need to get hot at district tournament time. 

But right now we're probably fighting with the Hill to stay out of the cellar in the conference. Boone should be the heavy favorite to win the conference at this point with the Science Hill transfer Livingston in their lineup. 

44 minutes ago, BP4138 said:

Volunteer isn't as bad as some are saying. They did reach the Sub State game last year and return 3 and sometimes 4 starters off last years team. TN High, Unicoi and Volunteer would match up with any of the big schools this year and be able to hold their own in my opinion.

Yeah, the Upper Lakes has certainly proved early on they're better than the Big 5.

Volunteer isn’t a bad team but the Indians should’ve won the game. DB is a better team.

Unicoi is good. I watched them play The Hill last night. The game was close but ultimately UC came way with the W. 

Someone mentioned Boone. The Livingston kid is a very good player. With that said, I don’t think SH was all that sad to see him go....team chemistry/building team chemistry is far more important...

Edited by WBNC83
  • Like 1

Can one of the DB fans tell me why former Indian Gerald Sensabaugh seems to hate his alma mater so much? I know his kids are at Knox Catholic but what’s his issue with DB? His social media posts are mainly him raving about the exposure and opportunities his kids get in Knoxville vs what they would’ve had in upper East TN. I saw one a few weeks ago where he was saying had his family stayed here he would’ve had his kids at Science Hill. Just seems like he goes out of his way to constantly dog his high school/hometown.

Edited by WBNC83

8 hours ago, WBNC83 said:

Can one of the DB fans tell me why former Indian Gerald Sensabaugh seems to hate his alma mater so much? I know his kids are at Knox Catholic but what’s his issue with DB? His social media posts are mainly him raving about the exposure and opportunities his kids get in Knoxville vs what they would’ve had in upper East TN. I saw one a few weeks ago where he was saying had his family stayed here he would’ve had his kids at Science Hill. Just seems like he goes out of his way to constantly dog his high school/hometown.

I didn't start following sports in northeast Tennessee until around the time he was coaching at Crockett.  The Crockett folks will tell you he was a cancer to the program.  The one social media post someone directed me to from him came about this time last year.  D-B had a girl who was 6'3" and you could tell in her limited playing time last year as a freshman, she was going to be someone to watch out for in the future.  She was the sole reason we were able to play with Bearden (who went on to win state) for three quarters, just simply because she had the size to match up with Treadway of Bearden and was able to compete for rebounds and just generally be a pest on the inside.  Well after that Bearden game, she left the program and is now at West Ridge and starting and averaging double figures I believe as a sophomore.  Don't know what happened to cause her to transfer, maybe someone else can shed some light on that.

Sensabaugh put D-B on blast on Facebook for allowing her to get away.  I will say that about that, he was right.  Size is an invaluable thing to have in the girls game.  West Ridge will probably be a player in the girls conference race just simply because they have a 6'3" post and no other team in the district does.

I also believe there may have been an incident with Sensabaugh's kid down at Greeneville last year in the JV boys basketball game where an altercation with a D-B teammate occurred.  Seems like I remember hearing something like that.

Edited by TribalEmpire

10 hours ago, WBNC83 said:

I think a lot of people misunderstand Gerald Sensabaugh. I don't agree with everything he says or does, but I agree with most. I've never thought he has "dogged" DB or Kingsport but rather the system that is here.  He seems to have a lot of passion for helping younger athletes. I think he was just moving too fast for the "Crockett Folks". Same at DB when he was a "volunteer" on the staff. Seems I remember the players at Crockett loved him. I recall him trying to get the school board to commit to making improvements to the school and athletics. The school board didn't take kindly to being exposed for ignoring the problems. Thats the way it works with the "Good 'Ole Boys" and "Homers" in upper east tn. 

3 hours ago, TribalEmpire said:

I didn't start following sports in northeast Tennessee until around the time he was coaching at Crockett.  The Crockett folks will tell you he was a cancer to the program.  The one social media post someone directed me to from him came about this time last year.  D-B had a girl who was 6'3" and you could tell in her limited playing time last year as a freshman, she was going to be someone to watch out for in the future.  She was the sole reason we were able to play with Bearden (who went on to win state) for three quarters, just simply because she had the size to match up with Treadway of Bearden and was able to compete for rebounds and just generally be a pest on the inside.  Well after that Bearden game, she left the program and is now at West Ridge and starting and averaging double figures I believe as a sophomore.  Don't know what happened to cause her to transfer, maybe someone else can shed some light on that.

Sensabaugh put D-B on blast on Facebook for allowing her to get away.  I will say that about that, he was right.  Size is an invaluable thing to have in the girls game.  West Ridge will probably be a player in the girls conference race just simply because they have a 6'3" post and no other team in the district does.

I also believe there may have been an incident with Sensabaugh's kid down at Greeneville last year in the JV boys basketball game where an altercation with a D-B teammate occurred.  Seems like I remember hearing something like that.

Thanks for the insight.

I’ve got a feeling he thinks his kid is going to end up the next BJ Edwards. If you’re not familiar with the name, he’s a Johnson City kid. He moved to Knoxville (enrolled at Knox Catholic) the summer before he was to start 9th grade (he would’ve been at Science Hill). His family thought he’d have a better opportunity for exposure there. It worked out for him. He signed with Tennessee and is a Freshman on the basketball team. He had offers from Tennessee, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Wake Forest, South Carolina just to name a few. It doesn’t work out like that for every kid that transfers though. Is Sensabaugh’s kid even that good?

Edited by WBNC83

5 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

I think a lot of people misunderstand Gerald Sensabaugh. I don't agree with everything he says or does, but I agree with most. I've never thought he has "dogged" DB or Kingsport but rather the system that is here.  He seems to have a lot of passion for helping younger athletes. I think he was just moving too fast for the "Crockett Folks". Same at DB when he was a "volunteer" on the staff. Seems I remember the players at Crockett loved him. I recall him trying to get the school board to commit to making improvements to the school and athletics. The school board didn't take kindly to being exposed for ignoring the problems. Thats the way it works with the "Good 'Ole Boys" and "Homers" in upper east tn. 

I remember watching him play at DB. Great athlete. He seems like an OK guy. Just seems like he enjoys throwing shade at his alma mater and hometown. I’ve seen him make a lot of positive comments about Elizabethton, Greeneville, even Science Hill. You’d think he’d have some good things to say about DB but it doesn’t look that way.

Edited by WBNC83