Greeneville Football at Oak Ridge

noonesfool

Thank you for your response. I’ve been involved as a coach with teams wiped out with injuries. Some of the injuries were our fault others you would never believe the story. More important, football is a contact sport and injuries will happen. Oak Ridge is an old and storied program. My utmost respect to the cats. Played against the Ridgers the falls of 1969, 1970, 1971. Hill Topper.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, noonesfool said:

Thank you for your response. I’ve been involved as a coach with teams wiped out with injuries. Some of the injuries were our fault others you would never believe the story. More important, football is a contact sport and injuries will happen. Oak Ridge is an old and storied program. My utmost respect to the cats. Played against the Ridgers the falls of 1969, 1970, 1971. Hill Topper.

You wouldn't believe this mess.  4th string center?  it's just been the season of Murphy's Law around here.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

You wouldn't believe this mess.  4th string center?  it's just been the season of Murphy's Law around here.  

That is a huge drop off from even a second team center. On the other hand, this can be an opportunity for your new head coach to implement program values that are really hard to learn by just communicating. Such as next man up, when everyone is critical of us we look inward to our football family, ect.

Edited by noonesfool

The injuries have really hurt OR the last two seasons, especially in the lines where it is so critical.  There are many causes, and sometimes they are just fluke injuries. Looks like OR will be missing some linemen tomorrow night and that is going to make the hill a lot steeper against a very good Greeneville team, whose apparent strength is their lines and running the ball. Even though this is a high visibility game, and certainly would be great to win, the Karns game is more important as it is a Regional game which has playoff implications, including a possible second place finish and home field the first round.  So if some of the injured can be back for Karns that would be good,

39 minutes ago, noonesfool said:

That is a huge drop off from even a second team center. On the other hand, this can be an opportunity for your new head coach to implement program values that are really hard to learn by just communicating. Such as next man up, when everyone is critical of us we look inward to our football family, ect.

That's exactly what this year will end up being.  The young and inexperienced players that are getting all these game reps out of sheer necessity (in many positions we are literally playing the only guys left in the position group) will be much better players for having gone through all of this adversity this season.  While it has been frustrating and disappointing season for all involved and will continue to be, those that make it through will have learned some invaluable lessons and standards of expectations that will no doubt pay off for those kids next season, for those that stick with it.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

That's exactly what this year will end up being.  The young and inexperienced players that are getting all these game reps out of sheer necessity (in many positions we are literally playing the only guys left in the position group) will be much better players for having gone through all of this adversity this season.  While it has been frustrating and disappointing season for all involved and will continue to be, those that make it through will have learned some invaluable lessons and standards of expectations that will no doubt pay off for those kids next season, for those that stick with it.  

Well said, bruh. Nothing like a good dose of adversity. Always pays off in the long run.

4 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

Well said, bruh. Nothing like a good dose of adversity. Always pays off in the long run.

yeah it will serve those that endure well moving forward, football or otherwise.  Cats is gonna come on here and say we're all full of it, but it is what it is and we have who we have, and it ain't pretty.  This is not your normal injury bug has hit a team.   Nobody feeling sorry for OR though, and  I'm just hoping we can win the last two games and finish on a positive note.  

26 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

yeah it will serve those that endure well moving forward, football or otherwise.  Cats is gonna come on here and say we're all full of it, but it is what it is and we have who we have, and it ain't pretty.  This is not your normal injury bug has hit a team.   Nobody feeling sorry for OR though, and  I'm just hoping we can win the last two games and finish on a positive note.  

Let’s hope so buddy.

22 hours ago, WillieTheWildcats said:

OR fans are speaking facts...we are banged up bad.  

Most of the injured players have returned but players get hurt in football and I hate to see OR fans get caught up in whining. Top programs just don't do that, and OR is traditionally a top program...so my message is to stop whining.

20 hours ago, noonesfool said:

Willie, you don’t know. Was it poor conditioning, lack of stretching, too much hitting, poor drills or just too much bad luck. All teams have injuries, but when you have excessive injuries a good coaching staff evaluates and tries to straighten that ship. Sometimes it is totally out of a coaching staff’s control.

I'm not sure I agree with the idea of poor conditioning, lack of stretching, too much hitting, etc...it just happens, sometimes no matter what...everyone please just stop whining about it!!!