If 1A playoffs was decided like the CFP

PeskyPole

4 minutes ago, rlh said:

In 1969 and 1970, they would have been left out on strength of schedule. 

3 minutes ago, rlh said:

Based on the way it was done in 1969, 1970, 1971, anyone with a loss would be left out. 

No room for errors during those seasons.  Tough voters

So McKenzie and City would get in if they win out.  If MASE and Peabody win out what would have been viewed as more important, no losses or a tougher schedule?  With the strong chance of SP winning out are they already eliminated because of their 2 losses even though they were against tougher competition?

46 minutes ago, rlh said:

Based on the way it was done in 1969, 1970, 1971, anyone with a loss would be left out. 

would a perfect season against 1A and 2A opponents be more meaningful than a 1 loss team that lost to a 4A team? i guess a better way to phrase it would be: is SOS more or less important than 1 loss?

4 minutes ago, jtm52k said:

would a perfect season against 1A and 2A opponents be more meaningful than a 1 loss team that lost to a 4A team? i guess a better way to phrase it would be: is SOS more or less important than 1 loss?

UCF is a good example of this went undefeated and beat  Auburn in a bowl game and  Auburn was the only one who had beaten  the eventual National Champion so it turned out UCF should have at least gotten the shot. There is no way to get this right ever.

@NigCuppy you bout one of the most annoying posters on here beside Big Purple Shitzu and that  Commodore  fan Girl fella but dang this is a cool topic ! I hate that you posted it dang it now I think you might Have  2 brain cells instead of 1 ! Kidding of course ! I Think if we are being honest it would be

Rebuls

Vs

PHS

City

vs

MASE

right now being key

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeabodyPride said:

@NigCuppy you bout one of the most annoying posters on here beside Big Purple Shitzu and that  Commodore  fan Girl fella but dang this is a cool topic ! I hate that you posted it dang it now I think you might Have  2 brain cells instead of 1 ! Kidding of course ! I Think if we are being honest it would be

Rebuls

Vs

PHS

City

vs

MASE

right now being key

Just feels like the west bracket this year is like the SEC.  No matter who you play it’s going to be a hard road. And oh yea your light at the end of the tunnel is probably SP. 

Thought it would be fun to debate

19 hours ago, jtm52k said:

My point is that when TSSAA was using a system similar to the one mentioned herein.  Strength of schedule and success went into consideration.  There were a lot of very good 9 - 1 teams that didn't get into the playoffs.  Didn't matter if you were defending state Champions and went 9 - 1 in the regular season against contenders.

20 hours ago, NigCuppy said:

No room for errors during those seasons.  Tough voters

So McKenzie and City would get in if they win out.  If MASE and Peabody win out what would have been viewed as more important, no losses or a tougher schedule?  With the strong chance of SP winning out are they already eliminated because of their 2 losses even though they were against tougher competition?

SP got the 1st Gold ball beating TPS in the 1969 finals.  To get there, than ran the Sequatchie Valle gauntlet including Bridgeport, AL and Stevenson Al.  They beat Sweetwater and Spring City in the regular season, both perennial powers at the time. They were left out in 1970 with a 9 - 1 record and were defending state champs.  The lost 20 - 18 to Sweetwater in the regular season and Sweetwater got the 1970 Class A silver ball against TPS.  SP went 9 - 1 again in 1971 lossing to Sweetwater in the regular season and again Sweetwater got the gold ball hammering Collierville in the title game. In 1971, Sweet Water did lose a regular season game to Spring City. However, Sweetwater had 7 shutouts in the regular season and only gave up a total of 24 points in 10 games and 14 points in the 2 playoff games.  In 1972, South Pittsburg went 8 - 1 - 1 record and 7 shutouts including a 0 - 0 tie with Jasper. SP beat Sweetwater in the regular season 42 - 41. SP lost to Ooltewah 24 - 21 in Dunlap in a Bowl Game.   Playoffs were expanded to 8 teams in 1983.   There were 8 teams in 1974, SP lost in the finals to Brentwood Academy at South Pittsburg having beat Sweetwater in the regular season and the playoffs. The playoffs were expanded again in 1977.    I thing the best system was from about 1984 to 1992.  Then it slowly started getting ridiculous.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jtm52k said:

i'm sorry...what was the system '84-'92?

RLH will better answer this, but it was still 3 classes and I think the top two teams from each district went to the playoffs. Now, don't get new wrong, 3 classes are too few now, but the current 9 are too many. And 4 teams from each region is, in my opinion, way to many as well ... At least with this many classes.

It made for more interesting matchups and put more emphasis on your district games.

Edited by The Drunken Sailor