Questions about penalties

Onlooker21

Hello all. I have two questions about a game I attended about three weeks ago. 1. The opening kickoff was taken back for a touchdown. The player that was returning the ball, at about the 30yd line held up 1 finger as he was running the ball, a flag was thrown on this play for celebrating. They took the touchdown away and gave them the ball at the other teams 40. Is this the right call? I could see the flag for celebration, but shouldn’t it be tacked on to the extra point being pushed back? A celebration takes away a touchdown? 

2. This time its 3rd and 3. the Team, snaps the ball, hands it to the RB, and he goes 60 yards and scores. A Penalty flag is thrown for holding on offense. They bring it back and replay it. Still 3rd and 3. No chains moved. Anything. I know that can be right. Holding is a 15rd penalty I thought? I didn’t know if since a touchdown was scored on the play if its just a replay of down from same yardage or what? Just looking for a few answers. I would  greatly appreciate anyones input that know TSSAA rules. Thanks guys amd gals

!. Unsportsmanlike Conduct during a play are treated as dead ball fouls, and penalized from the succeeding spot, either on the try, or the kick-off.

2. Holding is a ten yard penalty. Officials refer to something called "the basic spot," and the basic spot on a run play is the end of the run (i.e., here, the end zone). Without getting too deep into it, there are 4 types of penalties. If the penalty on a run play occurs behind the basic spot, the foul is enforced from the spot of the foul, and the down is replayed. If the holding occurred 10 yards beyond the line of scrimmage, the marked off penalty would go to the line of scrimmage, and the down would be repeated. So neither the chains nor the down box would move. 

10 hours ago, KWoodroof said:

!. Unsportsmanlike Conduct during a play are treated as dead ball fouls, and penalized from the succeeding spot, either on the try, or the kick-off.

2. Holding is a ten yard penalty. Officials refer to something called "the basic spot," and the basic spot on a run play is the end of the run (i.e., here, the end zone). Without getting too deep into it, there are 4 types of penalties. If the penalty on a run play occurs behind the basic spot, the foul is enforced from the spot of the foul, and the down is replayed. If the holding occurred 10 yards beyond the line of scrimmage, the marked off penalty would go to the line of scrimmage, and the down would be repeated. So neither the chains nor the down box would move. 

So the first touchdown should have stood? And just a penalty on after point or next kickoff… thanks for the reply 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2022 at 5:11 PM, Onlooker21 said:

Hello all. I have two questions about a game I attended about three weeks ago. 1. The opening kickoff was taken back for a touchdown. The player that was returning the ball, at about the 30yd line held up 1 finger as he was running the ball, a flag was thrown on this play for celebrating. They took the touchdown away and gave them the ball at the other teams 40. Is this the right call? I could see the flag for celebration, but shouldn’t it be tacked on to the extra point being pushed back? A celebration takes away a touchdown? 

2. This time its 3rd and 3. the Team, snaps the ball, hands it to the RB, and he goes 60 yards and scores. A Penalty flag is thrown for holding on offense. They bring it back and replay it. Still 3rd and 3. No chains moved. Anything. I know that can be right. Holding is a 15rd penalty I thought? I didn’t know if since a touchdown was scored on the play if its just a replay of down from same yardage or what? Just looking for a few answers. I would  greatly appreciate anyones input that know TSSAA rules. Thanks guys amd gals

I've seen scenario one a couple is times myself and both times it was enforced differently. The situation you described is how the NCAA handles it. According to the NFHS it should have been tested as a dead ball foul at the end of the run as Kwoodroof said.

In your second scenario, if the hold happened 10 yards down field then the ball would move back to the same location. Holding is a "spot of the foul" penalty which means that it should be marked off 10 yards from wherever the penalty occurred.