Haywood @ Covington 10/21/22

CHARGERFAN

5 hours ago, reddyrebel6 said:

As far as this year's schedule, I would point out that the Tomcats played four, potentially five region champs. Milan and Melrose were both ranked in the top 10 in the state in 4A when we  played them and SGC was also ranked at one time. Covington was ranked third in 3A. That's not really that shabby. The fact that Haywood beat them so easily does not mean they were "weak." While I would love to have been tested more, I think this year's team just plays whoever is in front of them. 

Very good points

On 10/22/2022 at 8:55 PM, CHARGERFAN said:

Well, if Covington meets East Nashville, I will worry about that game when it happens. You gripe a lot about Covington for somebody who is apparently an outsider. I have followed this team since 1982 when my first child entered high school. Since then I have missed attending maybe 8 or 9 games that Covington has played. That’s home, away, playoffs, or bowl games. I like our current coaching staff and don’t appreciate somebody coming on Coach T and disparaging them.

You may not know that Covington is a 3A school. That means that we have fewer students than 4A Haywood and 5A Munford. That means we have a smaller talent pool. Despite that, Covington had beat Munford 4 years in a row when they managed to transfer in enough outside talent this year to get a win. 

Haywood is a great team this year. They embarrassed the 4A teams in their region with blowout wins. They are not so tough every year. Covington beat them in Brownsville two years ago. Right now they have hit an optimum combination of good talent and good coaching to be great. You are searching if you want to criticize our 3A team for losing to them. Show me a team that has beat them this year. We made a respectable showing. 

Covington played Alcoa to a standstill the last time we made the title game. They had to score in the last two minutes to beat us by 7 points. How well did East Nashville or Pearl Cohn do vs Alcoa? They got blown out - that’s how. 

So, if you continue to run down my team, I don’t care if you never darken the door of our stadium again. Go find another team to critique negatively.

You can like the current coaching staff all that you please, but the fact of the matter is that the previous coach had no problem beating 3A, 4A, 5A schools yearly. Clearly I know that Haywood is a 4A school, and you make my point by bringing up the fact that Covington beat them just 2 short years ago, even with this same staff! Are you telling me that Haywood has assembled a team that is 50 points better than Covington in two short years???? Haywood is a great team, I agree, but there is 0.0% chance that they are 50 points better than Covington over the past two season. Talent wise they match up very similarly. Munford finally has the talent to hang with Covington this year, and what happens, an absolute embarrassment happens. That is not the Covington of old, which you should know since you have been going to games since 1982...

You are also making my case bringing up Alcoa. Was that not under the previous coach? I can assure you that Alcoa would not need a late score to win by 7 over the past few years. 

I am not running down your team. I respect Covington and respect the tradition that it has. I have simply stated that they are getting embarrassed by teams that have equal or more talent than them. If you can't see that then I do not know what to tell you. Maybe take the rose colored glasses off and you might see it. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JoeBlow777 said:

You can like the current coaching staff all that you please, but the fact of the matter is that the previous coach had no problem beating 3A, 4A, 5A schools yearly. Clearly I know that Haywood is a 4A school, and you make my point by bringing up the fact that Covington beat them just 2 short years ago, even with this same staff! Are you telling me that Haywood has assembled a team that is 50 points better than Covington in two short years???? Haywood is a great team, I agree, but there is 0.0% chance that they are 50 points better than Covington over the past two season. Talent wise they match up very similarly. Munford finally has the talent to hang with Covington this year, and what happens, an absolute embarrassment happens. That is not the Covington of old, which you should know since you have been going to games since 1982...

You are also making my case bringing up Alcoa. Was that not under the previous coach? I can assure you that Alcoa would not need a late score to win by 7 over the past few years. 

I am not running down your team. I respect Covington and respect the tradition that it has. I have simply stated that they are getting embarrassed by teams that have equal or more talent than them. If you can't see that then I do not know what to tell you. Maybe take the rose colored glasses off and you might see it. 

I understand your point but,  two years ago some of the boys wouldn't play football and he until they hear Smith was a cool guy to play for so that team Covington beat wasn't that talented they were good. And he's add more coaches to his staff as well they will be better next year 

On 10/22/2022 at 10:48 AM, JoeBlow777 said:

I hate to break it to you, but east nashville will absolutely embarrass Covington. It will be a rerun of last night and apparently the Munford game as well. East Nashville has the athletes to match up with Covington and thus, will win easily. That game will not be close. 

Covington will never be expected to beat Alcoa, that is a fairy tale, but Covington went to back to back state title games not that long ago. That should be their goal every year. They can beat up on their region teams that they play, simply because Ripley, millington, bolivar, and whoever else do not have the horses to beat them, but Haywood and Munford do have those horses and you saw those results. An absolute beatdown by both teams.... Maybe that is the new Covington, I dont know. I simply am on the outside looking in. But It was not that long ago when I would make the drive to Covington and watch them beat really good teams in dominating fashion. I hope they get back to that. I am a fan of good football and Covington used to play a bunch of good football. 

JoeBlow, Haywood's talent does not match up with Covington's...it's superior bottom line. They were bigger, faster, and deeper. They consistently put multiple kids into the SEC/ACC and other FBS teams. Covington cannot say that. As far as Munford goes, Covington made a lot of mistakes that contributed to that 28-7 final including multiple onside kicks and turnovers resulting in short fields for the Cougars and keeping the ball out of Covington's hands. Yes, Munford's D performed very well against Covington, but IMO that game is closer if both teams are mistake free with no turnovers. And remember, both, Haywood and Munford are UNDEFEATED teams in higher classifications...everyone else, Covington has dominated. 

I do believe that East Nashville has more athletes than Covington and probably should win that game if it happens. I'm not gonna bet on it though, because I've seen a Covington team go to Nashville and play a PC with much more talent and come out on top and then play them within a point a couple years later. These Nashville teams see a lot of the same thing all year and are sometimes surprised by different offenses late in the playoffs. So I'm not gonna say Covington will be embarrassed whatsoever at this point. These are insider takes btw. You may be right, we shall see. 

12 minutes ago, 00Chargers said:

JoeBlow, Haywood's talent does not match up with Covington's...it's superior bottom line. They were bigger, faster, and deeper. They consistently put multiple kids into the SEC/ACC and other FBS teams. Covington cannot say that. As far as Munford goes, Covington made a lot of mistakes that contributed to that 28-7 final including multiple onside kicks and turnovers resulting in short fields for the Cougars and keeping the ball out of Covington's hands. Yes, Munford's D performed very well against Covington, but IMO that game is closer if both teams are mistake free with no turnovers. And remember, both, Haywood and Munford are UNDEFEATED teams in higher classifications...everyone else, Covington has dominated. 

I do believe that East Nashville has more athletes than Covington and probably should win that game if it happens. I'm not gonna bet on it though, because I've seen a Covington team go to Nashville and play a PC with much more talent and come out on top and then play them within a point a couple years later. These Nashville teams see a lot of the same thing all year and are sometimes surprised by different offenses late in the playoffs. So I'm not gonna say Covington will be embarrassed whatsoever at this point. These are insider takes btw. You may be right, we shall see. 

I am not going to go into why Covington does not send more players to Power 5 schools, we all know why that is, and it really doesn't matter. 

Multiple onside kicks.....hmmm... did Haywood not do the same thing on Friday? Do you not think there will be teams in the playoffs that do it as well? Might want to figure that one out. If it happened week 1 and still bit you in the rear in week 9 then it needs addressing...You are speaking directly to my point about the coaching staff not putting the players in the best place to be successful. 

On 10/24/2022 at 8:29 AM, 00Chargers said:

I can agree with some of what you're saying, But,,,if you're on the outside looking in at Covington's program they aren't the team they have shown in the past. Aside from Munford and Haywood they've played a very weak schedule. Yes they played a bad game against Munford but I don't think Munford is as good as they're being built up to be this year. They'll probably be exposed by the 3rd Rd,,but that's a whole other "topic".. The Haywood game wasn't near as close as the score showed. It could have easily been a running clock the whole second half if the Tomcats chose to.  And yes I know Covington handled Dyersburg easily but I'll be the first to admit we're nowhere near the team that beat the Chargers twice last year. So that's not saying much. 

• Like 1