Clinic Bowl vs. Blue Cross Bowl (History for you old timers1)

riverrat

Just now, riverrat said:

Little history on our state's football championship.

'Clinic Bowl' could leave Nashville

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/stories/2005/01/03/daily26.html

I had always thought it was called the Clinic Bowl because there was a football coaching clinic. Interesting that proceeds use to go to Vanderbilt to help kids.

On 10/28/2022 at 9:33 AM, riverrat said:

I thought, and still think, that Murfreesboro is the best venue and location to hold the championships. But the actual Clinic Bowl was by far one the best of charities that proceeds could go to. Do any charities get the money now?

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, O3t said:

Wasn't the clinic bowl the first game of the year at one point?  Is that when the money went to the charity, the championship game, or both?  I'm not sure, I couldn't read the article.

By Philip Nannie  –  Nashville Business Journal
Jan 5, 2005 Updated Jan 5, 2005, 3:41pm CST

Nashville is in danger of losing the Clinic Bowl to another city.

Tennessee Secondary School Athletics Association (TSSAA) officials will meet later this month to decide if Nashville, Murfreesboro or Chattanooga will host the annual state championship football event.

"Bids are in and the TSSAA Board of Control will meet on the 13th to decide," says Matthew Gillespie, TSSAA's assistant to executive director Ronnie Carter.

Gillespie says the TSSAA doesn't necessarily want the event to move outside of Nashville, but contracts have expired and a review and rebidding process had to be completed.

"When our contracts are up in the cities that host the events now, other cities are then allowed to bid," he says, noting both Nashville and Murfreesboro have expressed interest in hosting both the Division 1 and Division 2 championships.

"Either city could bid for all of it or just one of the games," Gillespie says.

Nashville Area Junior Chamber Charities president Ken Youngstead says the goal is to bring both the Division 1 and Division 2 games back to Nashville.

The Division 1 state championship games are for the public schools and are now played in Murfreesboro while the Division 1 or private school games are played at Vanderbilt in what's commonly known as the Clinic Bowl. The Nashville Junior Chamber is the Clinic Bowl's sponsor.

"The Board will make the best decision for the member schools in our organization," Gillespie says.

Junior Chamber of Commerce officials say relocation would end Clinic Bowl proceeds to help handicapped children at Vanderbilt.

For the past 54 years the Junior Chamber, which organizes and hosts the Clinic Bowl, has given event proceeds to Vanderbilt University Medical Center to provide free rehabilitation services such as wheelchairs, braces and physical therapy to handicapped children. Proceeds totaling $30,150 from the 2004 Clinic Bowl were given to the medical center today.

On 10/29/2022 at 10:44 AM, The Drunken Sailor said:

I thought, and still think, that Murfreesboro is the best venue and location to hold the championships. But the actual Clinic Bowl was by far one the best of charities that proceeds could go to. Do any charities get the money now?

Murfreesboro is a great city but due to the population base, Nashville and Vanderbilt University is the best city to host the high school state championships. The walk up crowd if played at Vanderbilt would be so much better than if the event were held in Murfreesboro.  Just like Memorial Gymnasium would be the best facility for basketball.

On 10/28/2022 at 10:33 AM, riverrat said:

Here's a little trivia for you.  South Pittsburg, Oakland, and Alcoa are the only teams to play in all 4 venues.  Brentwood Academy will have to make to to Chattanooga to stay in that club.

• Upvote 1

On 11/6/2022 at 12:15 PM, cbg said:

Murfreesboro is a great city but due to the population base, Nashville and Vanderbilt University is the best city to host the high school state championships. The walk up crowd if played at Vanderbilt would be so much better than if the event were held in Murfreesboro.  Just like Memorial Gymnasium would be the best facility for basketball.

Good points. From a walk-up perspective then Nashville would be best.  I was thinking about being more middle of the state, which Nashville is close enough though. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...