Clinic Bowl vs. Blue Cross Bowl (History for you old timers1)

riverrat

19 hours ago, RichyRich said:

Chattanooga and Knoxville  are almost level Knoxville just one line of counties east of Chattanooga. If Knoxville to far east then Chattanooga should be too.  Would think it'd be cooler to do it at UT rather than Chattanooga university 

Add to that, that Knoxville is a better commute from the west than Chattanooga. Cookeville wasn't bad, but I was glad to see it go from there...just didn't have any atmosphere from the community/venue that it was a big deal at all, and the field was horrible.

2 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Add to that, that Knoxville is a better commute from the west than Chattanooga. Cookeville wasn't bad, but I was glad to see it go from there...just didn't have any atmosphere from the community/venue that it was a big deal at all, and the field was horrible.

I figured it was a bit farther but not by very much. Maybe it just seems that way bc I live  off the Northern exit of athens and I'm equidistant to both cities. I probably go to chatt more though bc  the i75 that runs through loudon County from Philadelphia to Lenior city is the roughest part of i75 I've ever rode on

33 minutes ago, RichyRich said:

I figured it was a bit farther but not by very much. Maybe it just seems that way bc I live  off the Northern exit of athens and I'm equidistant to both cities. I probably go to chatt more though bc  the i75 that runs through loudon County from Philadelphia to Lenior city is the roughest part of i75 I've ever rode on

I'd say that mileage may be close, but timewise and ease of travel Knoxville is the better option.

On 11/28/2022 at 9:29 AM, RichyRich said:

May be a dumb question but as an East Tennesseean even I feel like having it In chatt isn't the all that great. My question is why have they never considered Knoxville for the bluecross bowl?

I don't know if I've ever heard that Knoxville has put in a bid to host it. They've obviously never put in a winning bid for it, but I'm not sure if they've even tried to get it.

On 11/8/2022 at 10:04 AM, rlh said:

Here's a little trivia for you.  South Pittsburg, Oakland, and Alcoa are the only teams to play in all 4 venues.  Brentwood Academy will have to make to to Chattanooga to stay in that club.

Alcoa also hosted three state championship games. Two that they played in.

On 12/8/2022 at 12:07 PM, rlh said:

SP also hosted Brentwood Academy at SP in 1974.

No larger than the attendance is for most of the state championship games, they should be played in a high school stadium.  Until the paid attendance for most of the games is over 7500 play the games in a good high school stadium. Did any of the games have a paid attendance crowd of 7500. With 9 state champions being crowned in Tennessee high school football most people could care less. Reduce the number of state champions to 5 and have the games at Vanderbilt and the crowds will return.  The product on the field is so watered down that a Manhattan advertising agency couldn’t market the games 

Edited by cbg
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2022 at 7:02 AM, cbg said:

No larger than the attendance is for most of the state championship games, they should be played in a high school stadium.  Until the paid attendance for most of the games is over 7500 play the games in a good high school stadium. Did any of the games have a paid attendance crowd of 7500. With 9 state champions being crowned in Tennessee high school football most people could care less. Reduce the number of state champions to 5 and have the games at Vanderbilt and the crowds will return.  The product on the field is so watered down that a Manhattan advertising agency couldn’t market the games 

Never going to happen, I agree 9 is too much, but best case scenario is 7 classes, 5 classes means mixing the privates back with the public's, which would be the end of the TSSAA. Also, the BCB just isn't that profitable, if it was Nashville and Murfreesboro would be putting in bids every time