2022 Ladies Classic Tournament December 27-31 GreenEville, Tennessee

Americal198

6 hours ago, Americal198 said:

Greeneville had a good lead for much of the game. That, and playing on Greeneville's home court, made it difficult for Cleveland, even though they made a great comeback.

Regarding the refs, the guy sitting next to me tonight insisted that the refs were intent on making calls that favored Greeneville. I seem to recall mention in this forum of the same thing last year, after Greeneville beat Cleveland. To suggest that referees would go to the length of helping or being partial to one team over another is to take away from the effort made by the Greeneville team.

The Hurst sisters both fouled out. That was the difference. 

As for a lack of leadership, I will agree, except I would apply that to last night's game when the Cleveland coach allowed his starters to mock-scream from the bench as they cheered on their subs, while running up the score against a South Greene team that was obviously bitten by the injury bug.

It shocks me if this is true.  From what I have seen from Cleveland is they always show class against an outmatched opponent.  Their starters usually play way less and the subs get plenty of action in blowouts.  No doubt they celebrate and cheer for each other.  That poses the age old question.  Should kids that rarely see the floor not try to score when they get in the game?  Just my two cents.

10 hours ago, Nobodysomebody said:

Well once again Cleveland is out coached by a smaller team.  Even though the refs tried to help them, in the end didn’t happen.  Greenville took better shots while Cleveland looked at what was their best shot individually.  Cleveland with the talent they have should’ve won by 15 or more but lost.  Bad leadership!  Only worried about individuals!!!!  Cleveland will have a good record only because of what they play!!!!!

Greeneville had 2 starters go to the bench early in 1st half with 2 fouls and the starting point guard go the bench mid 2d qtr with 2 fouls.  Cleveland had some starters with 2 fouls in 1st half and their coach left them in and they picked up 3rd foul - I was shocked he left them in - it was obvious the referees were calling the game tight. The Cleveland fans yelled and complained the entire game about the referees but fouls were being called both ways - and an obvious over the back call on Cleveland was called with 6 seconds remaining & the call was reversed and called on Greeneville.  Cleveland is very talented but Greeneville outplayed them as a team.

1 hour ago, Dadof23 said:

It shocks me if this is true.  From what I have seen from Cleveland is they always show class against an outmatched opponent.  Their starters usually play way less and the subs get plenty of action in blowouts.  No doubt they celebrate and cheer for each other.  That poses the age old question.  Should kids that rarely see the floor not try to score when they get in the game?  Just my two cents.

1 hour ago, Dadof23 said:

I understand that subs want and deserve to use the opportunity to play and score points. It's OK for the starters to "cheer and celebrate," but, in my opinion, this went beyond that and it didn't go over well with me. Any celebrating or cheering last night when the team was catching up to Greeneville sounded nothing like the previous night against South Greene.

The last thing I want to do is criticize the players. So, I believe it was the coach's responsibility to tone things down.

2 hours ago, Americal198 said:

I understand that subs want and deserve to use the opportunity to play and score points. It's OK for the starters to "cheer and celebrate," but, in my opinion, this went beyond that and it didn't go over well with me. Any celebrating or cheering last night when the team was catching up to Greeneville sounded nothing like the previous night against South Greene.

The last thing I want to do is criticize the players. So, I believe it was the coach's responsibility to tone things down.

Y’all mad about kids celebrating on the bench? How dare they support and cheer for their teammates. I personally love seeing the kids who play a lot get excited for the kids who don’t. 

2 hours ago, Americal198 said:

Y’all mad about kids celebrating on the bench? How dare they support and cheer for their teammates. I personally love seeing the kids who play a lot get excited for the kids who don’t. 

15 minutes ago, clevelandblueraiderfan said:

Yes, I have to agree with you.  I’m sitting there and watching the bench cheer and celebrating their teammates on the floor, what’s wrong with that.  The comment about the subs still scoring c’mon that’s their chance to play get over it.  Don’t like it stop them then from scoring.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Nobodysomebody said:

Yes, I have to agree with you.  I’m sitting there and watching the bench cheer and celebrating their teammates on the floor, what’s wrong with that.  The comment about the subs still scoring c’mon that’s their chance to play get over it.  Don’t like it stop them then from scoring.  

And the comment about them not celebrating the same against Greeneville…well of course not, they were losing.

1 hour ago, Nobodysomebody said:

Quick question for you.  Why do you seem to have such an axe to grind with Williams? You have been very outspoken against him on these boards.  He seems to do a good job in a tough place to coach girls basketball.

12 minutes ago, Dadof23 said:

Quick question for you.  Why do you seem to have such an axe to grind with Williams? You have been very outspoken against him on these boards.  He seems to do a good job in a tough place to coach girls basketball.

I think Williams does a good job. Does he get out coached sometimes? Yes, but so does everyone else. Cleveland high school isn’t loaded with girls basketball talent. Cleveland was a 3 win team before he got here. My only gripes so far this season is not sticking with the zone against Bradley and not have the 6’3 player in the post more.

3 hours ago, clevelandblueraiderfan said:

"Coachinhoops" visited my profile late last night. I invite him to go back a couple of years to some threads where he and his team were being trashed by an Internet troll from Bradley Central. I wasn't as concerned about the coach, who could take care of himself, but was more concerned about the slandering that some of Cleveland's players received.

More than once I suggested in the body of those threads that they be deleted. Finally, after things got very personal and nastier, I contacted the staff at CoachT and they decided to remove several messages. My main concerns were Cleveland's players, who could have been following along. 

There is such a thing as being gracious in winning. Nothing you will say will cause me to change my opinion.