West TN football

731Ball

14 minutes ago, toinemac said:

Personally I think there are too many small schools in West Tennessee. Blount County where Alcoa and Maryville are has 5 high schools. Gibson County has 6. Carroll County has 5. Neither of those counties has half the population of Blount county. You could combine the high schools in most West Tennessee counties and still not be 6a in football. I think you could better use the funding that most of the school systems have by merging some of these schools. 

Besides if Carroll or Gibson schools all merged everyone would cry about them being too dominant in the area. 

2 minutes ago, ItsAlwaysSunnyInAtwood said:

Besides if Carroll or Gibson schools all merged everyone would cry about them being too dominant in the area. 

I don’t think you could combine all of Gibson into one school far too many kids for that. But going from 6 to 2 or 3 would make a lot of sense. 

Carroll County you probably could combine into one school population wise but where you would put that school I have no clue.

If a kid from Bradford wanted to play football would he be able considering they have their own district. Just something I have wondered. 

52 minutes ago, toinemac said:

I don’t think you could combine all of Gibson into one school far too many kids for that. But going from 6 to 2 or 3 would make a lot of sense. 

Carroll County you probably could combine into one school population wise but where you would put that school I have no clue.

If a kid from Bradford wanted to play football would he be able considering they have their own district. Just something I have wondered. 

Hypothetically speaking it would probably have to be Huntingdon because it's centrally located. As far as the Bradford thing I'm not sure it's mandated they go to any specific school. At least back when I was in high school, late 00's, I knew a guy from Bradford that played football for Trenton. I also remember through the years seeing various Gibson County football teams yard signs throughout Bradford mainly Milan. Could be a grandparent or something idk but I'd love to hear an official answer on that myself 

Lake County is the most poverty stricken county in the state.  Always has been and always will be.  Still yet they pop up and win a state championship every now and then with one being just 2-3 years ago.  Blaming a lack of money is just the thing to do in America the past couple of decades.  Money, money, money.  We need more money.  No, you don't.  It's coaching stupid.  It is always the coaching.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 3 months later...

Consider looking at the data different.  West TN doesn't have dominant large schools but in comparison there are fewer large schools in West TN.  They do have several small rural schools and at the 1a and 2a level West TN has represented well.  Since the TSSAA creation of 6 divisions of public schools West TN as had 13 of a possible 20 1a & 2a State champions. 

• Like 2

I don't get the impression that West TN struggles as badly as some other posters do. There aren't as many year-in-year-out dominant programs in West TN, but that probably comes down to luck as much as anything. Otherwise, there have been some excellent programs produced by West TN over the years. Union City, Peabody, Lake County, Henry County, Milan, Whitehaven, Germantown, Huntingdon, McKenzie, USJ, Melrose, etc. West, TN is a lot of open space and a lot of small towns. But they hold their own I think. And the Memphis schools have many of the same problems as the Nashville schools, although to arguably an even greater degree. That is a very difficult school system to coach/teach in from what I hear and see. 

On 3/16/2023 at 9:09 PM, PurpleCat said:

I don't get the impression that West TN struggles as badly as some other posters do. There aren't as many year-in-year-out dominant programs in West TN, but that probably comes down to luck as much as anything. Otherwise, there have been some excellent programs produced by West TN over the years. Union City, Peabody, Lake County, Henry County, Milan, Whitehaven, Germantown, Huntingdon, McKenzie, USJ, Melrose, etc. West, TN is a lot of open space and a lot of small towns. But they hold their own I think. And the Memphis schools have many of the same problems as the Nashville schools, although to arguably an even greater degree. That is a very difficult school system to coach/teach in from what I hear and see. 

West Tennessee needs more depth of teams to do good. We can really have a good season out of Lexington, Hardin County, Camden, Crockett County, Adamsville, North Side, and McNairy Central. Lexington, Munford, and Hardin County are good regular season teams, but they fizzled out in the playoffs. So far, Haywood, Covington, and Peabody have been real threat teams to reach Chattanooga because they have consistently done that in the past. I want to put McKenzie in that category but I'm curious to see how good they'll be next year. There will be bad apples in West Tennessee (just like there will be in East and Middle TN), but honestly, everybody in West Tennessee (other than the top dogs) need to turn the notch up in performance in 2023.

On 11/8/2022 at 11:00 PM, 731Ball said:

When will West TN football evolve? I encourage anyone to go watch a 3A-4A game in East TN and then watch a similar caliber game in West TN. East TN is so much more advanced on offense that it’s not even the same game. I’m not saying teams in West TN should throw it 30 times a game. You don’t have to throw it to add motion to your offense and more formations. West TN, outside of one or two schools, is playing football like it’s 1994 still. That’s the real reason that we get thumped in the semis or state championships in 3A and 4A. It’s not a talent differential. It’s better offense and QB’s (which is a whole other story).

I get what you're saying, but the truth is coaches are going to coach what they know. It's easy to say just run that offense and you will win, but coaches can't be someone they are not. I don't think the reason why they lose to Middle and east TN teams is because of the offensive schemes. I think there's a lot more to it than that. 

12 hours ago, MidStateFan1 said:

I get what you're saying, but the truth is coaches are going to coach what they know. It's easy to say just run that offense and you will win, but coaches can't be someone they are not. I don't think the reason why they lose to Middle and east TN teams is because of the offensive schemes. I think there's a lot more to it than that. 

Exactly. More goes into it than just calling a different offense. You have to have a basic understanding of each position and their duties on each play and how to react to each defensive alignment....and that's just the beginning. If you want an offensive genius at HC then hire one. But that usually costs money

There are better coaches in Middle and East Tennessee.  The skill level at the middle school level of middle and east is on average head and shoulders above west Tennessee.  West TN middle school coaches (with some exceptions as always) do not take their jobs seriously and do little to no serious off season conditioning.  West TN has some outstanding high school coaches.  Trenton, McKenzie, Union City, Dyersburg, Covington, Munford to name a few.  However, the majority of the rest are just drawing a paycheck and put little real effort into it.  This results in a lot of blow out wins for the more talented and harder working coaches therefore not preparing them well for the championship games.

The officiating at the state championship games has also played a big role in a lack of gold balls as well.  From the game announcer on NFHS to the officiating on the field it is obviously tilted in favor of the middle and east Tennessee schools.

12 hours ago, YBsostupid said:

There are better coaches in Middle and East Tennessee.  The skill level at the middle school level of middle and east is on average head and shoulders above west Tennessee.  West TN middle school coaches (with some exceptions as always) do not take their jobs seriously and do little to no serious off season conditioning.  West TN has some outstanding high school coaches.  Trenton, McKenzie, Union City, Dyersburg, Covington, Munford to name a few.  However, the majority of the rest are just drawing a paycheck and put little real effort into it.  This results in a lot of blow out wins for the more talented and harder working coaches therefore not preparing them well for the championship games.

The officiating at the state championship games has also played a big role in a lack of gold balls as well.  From the game announcer on NFHS to the officiating on the field it is obviously tilted in favor of the middle and east Tennessee schools.

What?  The officiating?