Round 3 Haywood vs Milan

Ljsr

I think I speak for majority of Haywood fans when I say how much I despise South Gibson fans! If they want to be a private school go be a private school. Biggest bunch of cry babies I know! I was not happy they left our region at first when I found this out , but I am glad now. Glad we lost them! Hope we get to mercy rule them AGAIN next year in the playoffs! Let’s go Haywood!!

Edited by Rockytoptomcat

1 hour ago, Rockytoptomcat said:

I think I speak for majority of Haywood fans when I say how much I despise South Gibson fans! If they want to be a private school go be a private school. Biggest bunch of cry babies I know! I was not happy they left our region at first when I found this out , but I am glad now. Glad we lost them! Hope we get to mercy rule them AGAIN next year in the playoffs! Let’s go Haywood!!

No, actually, you don't. All of  the Haywood fans that I know are good folks and would not stand for someone getting on the T and bashing a respected region foe. You can sit behind your phone, and talk trash on the T , but I promise you do not speak for the " majority " of Haywood fans. Unless of course, you are a part of the clowns that were calling our boys putrid names, slandering, cussing, and being just down right hateful to our boys and fans. What a horrific representation of the Haywood community you are. Attached is a response from the TSSAA directed at Haywood. It is a little rocky, Rockytoptomcat. 

With all of that being said, I wish Haywood the very best. I hope they bring that Gold back to W. TN.  

TSSAA Haywood.jpg

I will say that I, as a Tomcat fan, respect South Gibson's team and fans.  I respect the team and fans of our other opponents as well.

I'm not sure who to attribute it to, but I'll close with the following quote:

“Win with humility, lose with grace, and do both with dignity.”

Go Haywood, beat Milan!

Edited by stacmot
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, stacmot said:

I will say that I, as a Tomcat fan, respect South Gibson's team and fans.  I respect the team and fans of our other opponents as well.

Go Haywood, beat Milan!

Great post. 

Fortunately, the game is played on the field and won and lost on the field. These distractions would derail a lot of teams, but I give credit to Haywood's coaches for always keeping their players grounded and ready to play. Real fans will show up to the game despite the cold and pull for their team, regardless of which side they sit on. What Haywood has done on the field this season often gets overlooked because of outside noise. Don't paint Haywood's players and true with this broad brush.

7 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

No, actually, you don't. All of  the Haywood fans that I know are good folks and would not stand for someone getting on the T and bashing a respected region foe. You can sit behind your phone, and talk trash on the T , but I promise you do not speak for the " majority " of Haywood fans. Unless of course, you are a part of the clowns that were calling our boys putrid names, slandering, cussing, and being just down right hateful to our boys and fans. What a horrific representation of the Haywood community you are. Attached is a response from the TSSAA directed at Haywood. It is a little rocky, Rockytoptomcat. 

With all of that being said, I wish Haywood the very best. I hope they bring that Gold back to W. TN.  

TSSAA Haywood.jpg

All this is from South Gibson fans calling tssaa and crying. Now they are on Facebook celebrating what they have gotten done. I wont name any specific names but go to south Gibson’s touchdown club Facebook page if you care to. I’m not sure what went on that game on their side. If they were cutting up and not acting appropriately I apologize. Those same people have sat on that side all season long and no complaints to my knowledge. Other than south Gibson fans.It is very frustrating that our football team is doing so well and one team can’t stand to see it. I know it’s not all a Gibson fans just like I know it’s not all Haywood fans.MOM you are a great poster on here and I respect all your posts! I will drop this topic.

8 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

TSSAA Haywood.jpg

I sorry for what happened I can't speak for everyone,but I have heard from some of the ones that don't sit on that side say that they would talk crazy in the parking lot because they are pissed. And they said,it only for the playoffs this not next year but I won't be surprised if some still sit over 

6 hours ago, stacmot said:

Go Haywood, beat Milan! 

Great post. I really like the beat Milan part. 

• Like 1

Long, but worth the read!

Yesterday, I had to write and post a press release regarding the upcoming football game in the district where I work which is Haywood County. The release was in regards to designated seating areas for home and away fans because of complaints by opposing fan bases. What I'm about to say, I would say regardless of whether or not I was employed by HCS. It's something I've said before I ever worked here and something I'll continue to believe until it changes.
I officiated high school basketball for ten years in West Tennessee. I only stopped officiating last year because of my new job and because my daughter came to live with me full-time. Sometimes, I miss it terribly.
As an official, I worked games all over West Tennessee - Memphis, Bolivar, Haywood, Martin, Medina, Milan, Jackson, Savannah, and everywhere in between. When I would get my game assignments for the week, there were schools I would see on my schedule and I would cringe. Haywood High School was never one of those schools. Neither was Bolivar, South Side, Northside, Middleton, Humboldt, Ripley, or any other school who may have had a certain narrative attached to their program. I loved working those games because the fans were LOUD, the players could play through contact, and all I had to worry about was keeping up with the speed of the game. I was enveloped in white noise, and it was easy to focus on the players and the game. Rarely did I hear individual fans complain about calls and, if they did, it was more of a collective groan or a sound of exasperation; it was never personal.
Calling games at South Side in Jackson was one of my favorite places because there was a group of fans who sat mid-court on the front row. They would give me heck, but during a time-out or a dead ball near their seating area, I could cut up with them and we could all have a laugh about something that happened in the game. It was part of the culture of being a fan.
On the flip side of that, there were fans at certain schools where the barbs felt personal. There were comments about my tattoos ("That's some cute ink you got there."), my physique ("Worry more about the game than your next steroid injection."), and my appearance ("Nice call, pretty boy.") That stuff never really bothered me in the moment because if you don't have thick skin as an official, you'll never make it. Normally, things like that would just make me laugh. But, the eye contact and the vitriol at those certain places felt different - there was no cutting up during a time-out or after the game.
I've thought about this a lot since yesterday because some of the same fan bases who have complained about the fans in Haywood County were also the same fan bases where I would dread going to officiate a ball game. Sportsmanship takes many shapes and forms during a game and a season. Players, officials, coaches, and fans all need to be respected. I also want to make a very clear point: a small sample size of a fan base doesn't reflect the entire program. This goes for the unnamed schools I just mentioned as well as Haywood County.
I can't help but think about culture and power and the systems that are in place that allow one fan base to have a louder voice than another fan base - to deem what's appropriate and what's not.
Are there behaviors that needed to be addressed? Certainly. But it has to go both ways; it has to be reflected and exhibited in all aspects of a given sporting event.
Here's what I know: before I ever worked in Haywood County, I loved the atmosphere of ball games here. Since I've worked in Haywood County, I've been able to meet and interact with some of the finest young athletes I've known. The coaching staff is talented and invests so much in the program. The fan base is passionate and supportive. Situations are never as cut and dry as they appear.
In the end, a high school sporting event should always be about the athletes on the field. Fans and fan bases should never overshadow the players. All of our kids deserve that.
Here's to a fun, cold, and respectful game tomorrow night in the best football town I know.

25 minutes ago, reddyrebel6 said:

Long, but worth the read!

Yesterday, I had to write and post a press release regarding the upcoming football game in the district where I work which is Haywood County. The release was in regards to designated seating areas for home and away fans because of complaints by opposing fan bases. What I'm about to say, I would say regardless of whether or not I was employed by HCS. It's something I've said before I ever worked here and something I'll continue to believe until it changes.
I officiated high school basketball for ten years in West Tennessee. I only stopped officiating last year because of my new job and because my daughter came to live with me full-time. Sometimes, I miss it terribly.
As an official, I worked games all over West Tennessee - Memphis, Bolivar, Haywood, Martin, Medina, Milan, Jackson, Savannah, and everywhere in between. When I would get my game assignments for the week, there were schools I would see on my schedule and I would cringe. Haywood High School was never one of those schools. Neither was Bolivar, South Side, Northside, Middleton, Humboldt, Ripley, or any other school who may have had a certain narrative attached to their program. I loved working those games because the fans were LOUD, the players could play through contact, and all I had to worry about was keeping up with the speed of the game. I was enveloped in white noise, and it was easy to focus on the players and the game. Rarely did I hear individual fans complain about calls and, if they did, it was more of a collective groan or a sound of exasperation; it was never personal.
Calling games at South Side in Jackson was one of my favorite places because there was a group of fans who sat mid-court on the front row. They would give me heck, but during a time-out or a dead ball near their seating area, I could cut up with them and we could all have a laugh about something that happened in the game. It was part of the culture of being a fan.
On the flip side of that, there were fans at certain schools where the barbs felt personal. There were comments about my tattoos ("That's some cute ink you got there."), my physique ("Worry more about the game than your next steroid injection."), and my appearance ("Nice call, pretty boy.") That stuff never really bothered me in the moment because if you don't have thick skin as an official, you'll never make it. Normally, things like that would just make me laugh. But, the eye contact and the vitriol at those certain places felt different - there was no cutting up during a time-out or after the game.
I've thought about this a lot since yesterday because some of the same fan bases who have complained about the fans in Haywood County were also the same fan bases where I would dread going to officiate a ball game. Sportsmanship takes many shapes and forms during a game and a season. Players, officials, coaches, and fans all need to be respected. I also want to make a very clear point: a small sample size of a fan base doesn't reflect the entire program. This goes for the unnamed schools I just mentioned as well as Haywood County.
I can't help but think about culture and power and the systems that are in place that allow one fan base to have a louder voice than another fan base - to deem what's appropriate and what's not.
Are there behaviors that needed to be addressed? Certainly. But it has to go both ways; it has to be reflected and exhibited in all aspects of a given sporting event.
Here's what I know: before I ever worked in Haywood County, I loved the atmosphere of ball games here. Since I've worked in Haywood County, I've been able to meet and interact with some of the finest young athletes I've known. The coaching staff is talented and invests so much in the program. The fan base is passionate and supportive. Situations are never as cut and dry as they appear.
In the end, a high school sporting event should always be about the athletes on the field. Fans and fan bases should never overshadow the players. All of our kids deserve that.
Here's to a fun, cold, and respectful game tomorrow night in the best football town I know.

I saw this earlier this morning. Excellent read!