Round 3 - Dyersburg visits Covington

CHARGERFAN

15 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

You are correct about your two points especially the second one. In fact Dyersburg returned zero starters from last years defense. They will bring back most everyone next year. Doesn’t Covington graduate a lot this year?  Seems like the roles may be reversed next year. 

Covington will be Covington every year. 

On 11/14/2022 at 11:39 AM, SuperBowlKid1489 said:

Dyersburg hasn't lost since the last time they played Covington and guess what, it doesn't matter! Dyersburg has basically played inner city Memphis teams since they last matched up, Ripley & Millington pretty much fit that mold too. This is not going to be a game, definitely not worth spending money and sitting in the cold for. Build up all the hype you want for this game, but Covington wins by at least 3 TDs! :thumb:

I may agree with you here, but if we go with this analysis then we're saying Covington is playing a weak schedule also and therefore this is the Only reason they're making it this far in the playoffs. This is no disrespect to Covington. They're just playing the teams they are dealt. Unfortunately that may not fare too well for them in the semis.  It will be a great accomplishment to make it to the finals or even the semis, but listening to all the opinions and predictions this year Covington plays in a extremely weak region 7 and through an even weaker region 8.  That my friends is a recipe for a heartbreaking blowout lose in the semis or finals..I hope I'm wrong,,I Really Do..

Region 7 3A is weak. It has been a blessing to Dyersburg to get out of region 7 4a and away from Haywood.  Not sure the 2021Dyersburg Region Champ team would have gone undefeated last year if we still played up. Always said I wished the 2018 Dyersburg team could have played Covington. That would have been interesting. This weak region has allowed Dyersburg to develop the youth and also get injured players rested/ready. Not the same team going to Covington Friday night. And I will take our coaches over Covington's all day long. What has happened in Covington since Wheeler left?? Go Trojans!!

Edited by OldTrojan

28 minutes ago, FOOTBALLROCKYTOP said:

I may agree with you here, but if we go with this analysis then we're saying Covington is playing a weak schedule also and therefore this is the Only reason they're making it this far in the playoffs. This is no disrespect to Covington. They're just playing the teams they are dealt. Unfortunately that may not fare too well for them in the semis.  It will be a great accomplishment to make it to the finals or even the semis, but listening to all the opinions and predictions this year Covington plays in a extremely weak region 7 and through an even weaker region 8.  That my friends is a recipe for a heartbreaking blowout lose in the semis or finals..I hope I'm wrong,,I Really Do..

I think you are wrong. Why expect Covington to experience a blowout loss in the semifinals or finals? Wishful thinking? That is not backed up by recent history. 

Dyersburg kept us out of the semifinals last year by beating us 21-20 in the quarterfinals. In 2020, COVID beat us in the playoffs when we forfeited to Milan in the playoffs.

Let’s talk about the three years before that.

2019 lost to Pearl Cohn in the semifinals 22-21.

2018 beat Stratford in the semis 20-14, lost in the finals to Alcoa 21-14

2018 beat Pearl Cohn in the semis 31-28, lost in the finals to Alcoa 31-20.

So, I don’t see a blowout loss in the playoffs for us in the last 5 years. We are 2-1 in semifinals, and, like all the others in 3A, we lost to Alcoa in the finals. If you want to see blowout losses, check how some of the other finalists did vs. Alcoa. 

We could possibly get beat like a drum somewhere along the way, but recent history does not support that prediction.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

Game of the week IMO. If I did not have to work, I would be at this game. 

1 hour ago, CHARGERFAN said:

What, you don’t want to see Haywood vs. Milan? BPM is not gonna appreciate that from you..

ManOfMillions is my homegirl. We gonna cuddle up tomorrow night and watch a livestream. :)

35 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

ManOfMillions is my homegirl. We gonna cuddle up tomorrow night and watch a livestream. :)

The way the weather looks for tomorrow night, cuddling up with a blanket and watching on TV sounds real good. But, being a stubborn old guy, I’m gonna bundle up and get out in the cold for live football.

In my opinion the Trojans are playing with house money entering the Quarterfinal. Few, if anyone, expected Dburg to be one of the final eight teams standing while Covington was projected by the overwhelming majority to not only make this game but qualify for the Semifinal. And after what happened in the regular season between these teams the pressure has to fall exclusively on the shoulders of the Chargers. Covington has great facilities and their Game Day staff and Administration are great hosts. Looking forward to making the drive down 51 and seeing where the chips fall. 

12 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

Game of the week IMO. If I did not have to work, I would be at this game. 

What?  Definitely not the “Game of the Week”.Hate to say this, but I’m a realist.  This game will be similar to the first meeting.  The Trojans May hang in there for a half but by the end it will be a 3 to 4 score win for Covington.