Round 3 Wildcat Universe at Knoxville Powell

48 minutes ago, WestHigh4Life said:

Back to the game this Friday - Is Oak Ridge healthy?

Is Powell healthy?

Will Powell cut down on the penalties?

Will Oak Ridge score on Powell defense?

Will Oak Ridge be able to slow down Powells offense?

Who wins the coaching matchup - last I checked I believe Lowe has won more head to head with Cummings.

Against WV, Powell was probably as healthy as they've been all season. I'm not aware of any significant injuries coming out of that one.

As far as the penalties go, I don't see that changing unfortunately.

OR will definitely score in this game, no question. Powell's defense has improved as the year has gone on, but they aren't the force that they were at the same time last year (no Walter Nolan). That said, OR can't afford to shoot themselves in the foot repeatedly. I know they are playing MUCH better football now, but the first time these two teams played, OR couldn't put together consecutive positive plays. And that's no exaggeration.

On defense, OR has to take away the big play. Powell is a different animal when they have to put together long drives. Interesting nugget, but one thing we saw for the first time all season against WV was Potts' willingness to run. I'm not sure if they've been trying to protect him, given those early season injuries he suffered, but his running ability added a dimension to their offense that was missing, and that was as good as Powell's offense has looked all year long. IMO, they absolutely had to add that back into their arsenal to have any chance of making a deep playoff run.

Fun fact about Lowe vs. Cummings. They haven't played as many times as I was thinking. If you throw out the COVID forfeit, I think they've only played each other 8 times (this will be the 9th meeting). Scott beat Matt in 2006 and 2007, during Matt's first two years at Powell. Matt has won every meeting since then, including the two playoff matchups in 2011 and 2012.

Edited by osunut2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, osunut2 said:

Against WV, Powell was probably as healthy as they've been all season. I'm not aware of any significant injuries coming out of that one.

As far as the penalties go, I don't see that changing unfortunately.

OR will definitely score in this game, no question. Powell's defense has improved as the year has gone on, but they aren't the force that they were at the same time last year (no Walter Nolan). That said, OR can't afford to shoot themselves in the foot repeatedly. I know they are playing MUCH better football now, but the first time these two teams played, OR couldn't put together consecutive positive plays. And that's no exaggeration.

On defense, OR has to take away the big play. Powell is a different animal when they have to put together long drives. Interesting nugget, but one thing we saw for the first time all season against WV was Potts' willingness to run. I'm not sure if they've been trying to protect him, given those early season injuries he suffered, but his running ability added a dimension to their offense that was missing, and that was as good as Powell's offense has looked all year long. IMO, they absolutely had to add that back into their arsenal to have any chance of making a deep playoff run.

Fun fact about Lowe vs. Cummings. They haven't played as many times as I was thinking. If you throw out the COVID forfeit, I think they've only played each other 8 times (this will be the 9th meeting). Scott beat Matt in 2006 and 2007, during Matt's first two years at Powell. Matt has won every meeting since then, including the two playoff matchups in 2011 and 2012.

Thank you for the insight...ill be at the West game but im going to be watching this one on my phone as well.

Sounds like it should be a good game but I think Powell wins this one by a couple tds if not more.

Really interesting fact about Lowe and Cummings- as I didnt realize Lowe started in 06, I thought he was there before 06 so Clark was in 05 then. Lowe left for Kings after 2011 and then they hired Derek Rang.

14 minutes ago, WestHigh4Life said:

Thank you for the insight...ill be at the West game but im going to be watching this one on my phone as well.

Sounds like it should be a good game but I think Powell wins this one by a couple tds if not more.

Really interesting fact about Lowe and Cummings- as I didnt realize Lowe started in 06, I thought he was there before 06 so Clark was in 05 then. Lowe left for Kings after 2011 and then they hired Derek Rang.

No.  Clark left after the 02/03 school year to become the assistant principal at South Doyle.  

Larry Stephens took over for Clark and was the head coach at Powell for 4 years before Matt assumed the head coaching role.  

Clark originally hired Matt as his WR coach before the 02 season.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HTV said:

No.  Clark left after the 02/03 school year to become the assistant principal at South Doyle.  

Larry Stephens took over for Clark and was the head coach at Powell for 4 years before Matt assumed the head coaching role.  

Clark originally hired Matt as his WR coach before the 02 season.  

Gotcha, I couldn't remember who was the coach after Clark or between Lowe...whatever happened to Larry Stephens?

45 minutes ago, WestHigh4Life said:

Gotcha, I couldn't remember who was the coach after Clark or between Lowe...whatever happened to Larry Stephens?

He retired from teaching and coaching.  He had enough years in. 

Larry was a good guy with a lot of irons in the fire.  He was a county commissioner for several terms, and his wife owned and ran a construction company that he was very involved in and got more involved in after he retired from teaching/coaching.  

I haven't heard from him in several years, however.  Last I heard they had moved to their lake house permanently.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HTV said:

He retired from teaching and coaching.  He had enough years in. 

Larry was a good guy with a lot of irons in the fire.  He was a county commissioner for several terms, and his wife owned and ran a construction company that he was very involved in and got more involved in after he retired from teaching/coaching.  

I haven't heard from him in several years, however.  Last I heard they had moved to their lake house permanently.  

Really liked Coach Stephens! Kids (including my son) loved playing for him.

On 11/16/2022 at 9:49 AM, oridgecat said:

shake away zero, we are in the final 8.  Must be doing something right.  

I agree that we are doing something right but until we beat a good team in the playoffs, I wouldn't get too carried away with that final 8 stuff. Rhea County was 2-8 and not good at all, and although McMinn was 8-2, they were an absolutely awful offensive team that we just beat by a point. If we beat Powell, who is good but nothing like last year, I'll feel better about this team. The fact is, that we haven't beaten a good team all year but I hope that changes tomorrow night.!  RWR!!!

Edited by catswild