Semi Haywood vs Pearl-Cohn

Ljsr

1 hour ago, howdoitknow said:

Haywood runs the GT Counter RPO system so well.  I’d venture to say that they rushed for close to 400 yards the other night.  Their QB could sling it too and they had players on the outside.

Pearl-Cohn’s QB looked like Patrick Mahomes the other night.  Every time he was called on to make a key play he produced.  

Haywood rushed for 386 and threw for 145

14 hours ago, FBfan26 said:

I was being curious….Have anybody looked up the meaning of a Tomcat?

The simple definition is a male cat.  I’m surprised you did not know that!

In a football sense, the definition of a Tomcat differs very little from that of a Tiger, Hornet, Bulldog, Firebird, Maverick, etc…  A Tomcat (just like a Firebird) is an athlete who possesses confidence, strength, agility, endurance, intelligence, adaptability, motivation…  Need I go on?

As you should know, a mascot (such as a Tomcat or Firebird) gives a team a sense of identity and character.  The mascot usually exemplifies the traits I mentioned above. 

As the story goes, Haywood was originally known as the “Cats.”  In 1920, there were several players on the team with the last name Thomas, so "Tomcats" began as the name "Thomas Cats."  

I hope that satisfies your curiosity.

In anticipation of your next question or comment, girls’ teams at Haywood are known as “Lady Tomcats,” or "Lady Cats."

Good luck to your Firebirds this weekend.

Edited by stacmot
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, stacmot said:

In a football sense, the definition of a Tomcat differs very little from that of a Tiger, Hornet, Bulldog, Firebird, Maverick, etc…  A Tomcat (just like a Firebird) is an athlete who possesses confidence, strength, agility, endurance, intelligence, adaptability, motivation…  Need I go on?

As you should know, a mascot (such as a Tomcat or Firebird) gives a team a sense of identity and character.  The mascot usually exemplifies the traits I mentioned above. 

As the story goes, Haywood was originally known as the “Cats.”  In 1920, there were several players on the team with the last name Thomas, so "Tomcats" began as the name "Thomas Cats."  

In anticipation of your next question or comment, girls’ teams at Haywood are known as “Lady Tomcats.”

I had to look it up because my 13 year old asked a what a Tom cat was and we looked it up. Thanks for the extra insight.

10 hours ago, stacmot said:

Thanks!  Jim Carroll Stadium is a fun place to watch a football game.  Actually, I’m a bit jealous of the game atmosphere there! 

It’s a good atmosphere for high school football game. One of the best IMO. I think some folks think it’s a bit extra with some pregame stuff but it involves everyone with tailgate , Tiger walk and all. Think it gets everyone amped up for the game. 

1 minute ago, Tigersandcats said:

It’s a good atmosphere for high school football game. One of the best IMO. I think some folks think it’s a bit extra with some pregame stuff but it involves everyone with tailgate , Tiger walk and all. Think it gets everyone amped up for the game. 

I agree.  I think it's the best atmosphere of any school in West Tennessee. 

2 hours ago, stacmot said:

In anticipation of your next question or comment, girls’ teams at Haywood are known as “Lady Tomcats,” or "Lady Cats."

Learn something new every day. 

16 hours ago, FBfan26 said:

I was being curious….Have anybody looked up the meaning of a Tomcat?

I have always found this to be pretty cool. There are dozens of lions, tigers, bears, and bulldogs....  There is only 1 Tomcat. 

I though my school my have the same uniqueness with its mascot, but I looked into it and there are a few other school on the other end of the state that are Hornets. 

32 minutes ago, ManOfMillions said:

I have always found this to be pretty cool. There are dozens of lions, tigers, bears, and bulldogs....  There is only 1 Tomcat. 

I though my school my have the same uniqueness with its mascot, but I looked into it and there are a few other school on the other end of the state that are Hornets. 

As far as I know, there are no other schools in Tennessee with the mascot "Tomcats."  However, I do know of some other schools in other states who have a "Tomcat" mascot.  Paul Blazer High School, Ashland KY, East Aurora High School, Aurora IL, Stone High School, Wiggins MS, Tom Bean High School, Tom Bean TX, Trimble High School, Glouster OH, and Thiel College, Greenville PA.  I'm sure there could be others, but at least we're unique in Tennessee.

@ManOfMillions What are we going to do without you in Region 7 next year?  I guess you'll come back for a post every now and then.  Hopefully, you and @Tigersandcats will get Region 6 fans more active.