Littull fellurs agin tha Paytreeuts

STARSNBARS

Soon as the opening kickoff happened I knew right then I made a good decision telling the guys go on without me. Most of the game came in good but there was a few times you would have thought the signal was coming from the dark side of the moon but I also had the West and Powell game on which turned out to be a really good. I know in my heart Maryville is still one of your best four teams in 6A but may never cross that bridge again for a trophy due to one teams dominance that may go on for a long time. It is what it is but there was a time we caught them on their off year and we can't do that any longer. This was that year and it looked like a track meet from the opening whistle. I wouldn't have said this before the game but we can't throw the deep ball because we don't have anyone to throw it to. We're just now getting to where we get some separation on 15 yards throws down field where most of the throws were behind the line of scrimmage at the first part of the year which is a dangerous game especially when one of your receivers had stones for hands which caught us naked in one of the first games coughing up the ball inside our own twenty. There was a time where Maryville beat many teams by being smarter than the other one but for some reason that don't exist any longer. That's why I stayed at home 6 out of 8 games at Maryville and watched it on TV so I could cuss up a storm without getting in a fight with one of the daddy's. There is one bright side, I don't need to spend $200 on state championship apparel from Pokey's for the third year in a row and I'm sure they miss those days as well. 

My thawts onn tha gaim....

1. Okelund jist whupped Mairvul upp and down tha feeled.....Thay play tuff old skool footbawl....Maik ewe line upp corwrecklee and beet ewe wif basicks att tha LOS......congrats

b. Mairvul haz haid moore trubble blockin fer place kicks this yeer and nevur gott hit ficksed

3. Eye agree wif oldrebel....Defence and speshull teems ere pitiful

d. Ladue iz a tuff old skool playur

5. Az sumbodee menshuned urlier.....Wood haiv been nice two haiv seed a 2-back split baick offence wif Noah and Gage when'st we haid 'em both

eff. Hats oft two our seenyours on good carears

Pee Ess....jist my opinyun.....Taylor fer Okelund rarely left tha feeled fer Okelund..... #9 fer Alcoee wuz allsew a stud playin a lott both ways.....Latham #14 fer West played a lott both ways agin uss.......So othur thain Cannon fer uss....:wacko:

Edited by STARSNBARS

56 minutes ago, TinPigskin said:

The talent gap is there anytime Oakland plays another 6A team.  Maryville is the 2nd best 6A team in the state every year.  Still a great team and program.

Blackman probably has just as much talent as Oakland does, or at least they did this year, they'll be a handful if they can get their defense figured out.

Maryville deserves all the credit in the world for overcoming the adversity that they did and they are a great program. That said, there have been a few years where I don't think they win the title even if they found a way past Oakland. Hunt is a really good coach, but the execution just hasn't been there like it was with Quarles, who maybe the best HC this state has ever had

1 hour ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Soon as the opening kickoff happened I knew right then I made a good decision telling the guys go on without me. Most of the game came in good but there was a few times you would have thought the signal was coming from the dark side of the moon but I also had the West and Powell game on which turned out to be a really good. I know in my heart Maryville is still one of your best four teams in 6A but may never cross that bridge again for a trophy due to one teams dominance that may go on for a long time. It is what it is but there was a time we caught them on their off year and we can't do that any longer. This was that year and it looked like a track meet from the opening whistle. I wouldn't have said this before the game but we can't throw the deep ball because we don't have anyone to throw it to. We're just now getting to where we get some separation on 15 yards throws down field where most of the throws were behind the line of scrimmage at the first part of the year which is a dangerous game especially when one of your receivers had stones for hands which caught us naked in one of the first games coughing up the ball inside our own twenty. There was a time where Maryville beat many teams by being smarter than the other one but for some reason that don't exist any longer. That's why I stayed at home 6 out of 8 games at Maryville and watched it on TV so I could cuss up a storm without getting in a fight with one of the daddy's. There is one bright side, I don't need to spend $200 on state championship apparel from Pokey's for the third year in a row and I'm sure they miss those days as well. 

This is a good analysis of where things stand right now. Maryville played and beat many teams over the years that had more talent, mostly in the state championship games. I will say watching last night, the talent gap was more obvious than ever before. But GQ and the coaching staff were such an advantage during those games. They were always 4 steps ahead. No offense to this coaching staff and I know a core of them have been there a long time, but they’re not even close to being on that level. The past couple of years especially, they haven’t had an advantage schematically. And it rears its ugly head when they play teams with the same or better talent. Hopefully this turns around and they can also gain and develop some better talent in the coming years. But they’re going the wrong direction for sure. 

9 minutes ago, JJrebel2010 said:

This is a good analysis of where things stand right now. Maryville played and beat many teams over the years that had more talent, mostly in the state championship games. I will say watching last night, the talent gap was more obvious than ever before. But GQ and the coaching staff were such an advantage during those games. They were always 4 steps ahead. No offense to this coaching staff and I know a core of them have been there a long time, but they’re not even close to being on that level. The past couple of years especially, they haven’t had an advantage schematically. And it rears its ugly head when they play teams with the same or better talent. Hopefully this turns around and they can also gain and develop some better talent in the coming years. But they’re going the wrong direction for sure. 

Coaching can only prop up a team so much when faced against a team that is more talented and just as well coached. Maryville wouldnt have gotten as far as they did without their coaching staff. GQ might be the best HC ever in this state, but he had some truly great assistants. You lose guys like Gaylor and the OL coach (apologies but name escapes me) it's going to hurt big time 

I don't know who leaves the gate open for all the blocked field goals and extra points this year but this is another example how of we're regressing yet the problem has never been solved. Could explain why our kicker has missed sure shot field goals he got in the past when he goes out to kick he has to worry if he is on a suicide mission instead of concentrating on kicking the ball.

Edited by BarneySox2007

13 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

After last night Eric Taylor may be decommitting to Tennessee State to pour through SEC offers after they see that high light film today.

No coincidence that Oakland got better on both sides of the ball when he came back healthy. This late in his recruitment he might get some SEC interest, but I imagine their more interested in the backs that play behind him

Edited by MidTennFootball

When you don’t meet your season’s expectations, you can always point to reasons. Even some teams that win them all didn’t always play as well as they could. It’s more talked about when you don’t win them all. 
The sky ain’t falling. IMO to win, you need talent, coaching and luck.  The talent and luck are as good or better at 825 than most everybody’s. So is the coaching. 
There should be lots of opportunities for new contributors next year. Expectations will be high again for the perfect season, and that’s what makes it fun!

52 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

Coaching can only prop up a team so much when faced against a team that is more talented and just as well coached. Maryville wouldnt have gotten as far as they did without their coaching staff. GQ might be the best HC ever in this state, but he had some truly great assistants. You lose guys like Gaylor and the OL coach (apologies but name escapes me) it's going to hurt big time 

I agree with this. And losing Gaylor and Ellis were a huge hit. Gaylor was the best defensive coordinator in the state in my opinion. I guess my point was the current staff has regressed some the last couple years in my opinion. They’re obviously still a great staff and Maryville will always be right there every year, but they have a lot of work to do to get back to championship level. 

• Thanks 1