Littull fellurs agin tha Paytreeuts

STARSNBARS

WARNING:  Long Post

I said this the other night before JSamson decided to come after me for being some other dude.  I mean this as nicely as I can say it.  The “championship” ride is over at Maryville.  

George Quarles knew that this was inevitable and that’s why he bounced when he did.  The moment Oakland hired 2A Kevin Creasy to come to Murfreesboro and run his 2A offense it was officially the beginning of the end of Maryville’s championship runs.  It’s grown so lopsided that Oakland has gotten to where they have to play Division II teams and out of state teams in order to test themselves because they flat out own Maryville right now.  

Gary Rankin did the same thing when he left Riverdale after 2005.  Even when Riverdale had countless college prospects and brought in Ron Aydelott to continue the machine.  When adversity hit the Warrior Nation made Aydelott the scapegoat and since then Riverdale hasn’t been the same.  If Rankin had stayed at Riverdale he would have been part of the downfall of Warriors football.  If Quarles had stayed at Maryville he too would have been part of the downfall of Rebels football.  Oh sure they would have beaten the Science Hill’s of the state and they would beat Alcoa, although it wouldn’t be as lopsided as in years past, but in those nut cutting games against better teams from Alcoa, Knoxville West, and Oakland he would have taken an L just like Hunt is doing nowadays.

Maryville today is experiencing what Riverdale went through 15 years ago.  Eventually it will become the new norm and people will learn to accept it.  It’s not a knock.  Maryville is still great.  They are still going to win 10 or so games every year and be a Top 5 team.  If you think it’s 2000-2007 Maryville though you desperately need a reality check.  

In the meantime Alcoa’s going to need to build more trophy cases because they are going to really start to put a gap on Maryville as it relates to number of state championships won.  The part that is going to sting the most about it is that their head Coach leading the charge will be a Maryville grad.  Eventually this will take its toll and the players that Maryville “currently get” will become the players that Maryville “used to get” because they’ll all be going to Alcoa to win championships.  

Ask Oakland & Riverdale if that isn’t how it works.  Again I’m not trying to be a “Debbie Downer” and I’m not dogging on Maryville football.  What Quarles did at Maryville was one of the most amazing feats of its time.  It’s what Creasy is doing today at Oakland.  Nix will only continue to build and expand on what Reid & Rankin started and established at Alcoa.  

I will be at the state championships next weekend if anyone wants to stop by and have a conversation.  Great year Maryville.  Good Luck in the title games Oakland & Alcoa.  

33 minutes ago, howdoitknow said:

I said this the other night before JSamson decided to come after me for being some other dude.  I mean this as nicely as I can say it.  The “championship” ride is over at Maryville.  

George Quarles knew that this was inevitable and that’s why he bounced when he did.  The moment Oakland hired 2A Kevin Creasy to come to Murfreesboro and run his 2A offense it was officially the beginning of the end of Maryville’s championship runs.  It’s grown so lopsided that Oakland has gotten to where they have to play Division II teams and out of state teams in order to test themselves because they flat out own Maryville right now.  

Gary Rankin did the same thing when he left Riverdale after 2005.  Even when Riverdale had countless college prospects and brought in Ron Aydelott to continue the machine.  When adversity hit the Warrior Nation made Aydelott the scapegoat and since then Riverdale hasn’t been the same.  If Rankin had stayed at Riverdale he would have been part of the downfall of Warriors football.  If Quarles had stayed at Maryville he too would have been part of the downfall of Rebels football.  Oh sure they would have beaten the Science Hill’s of the state and they would beat Alcoa, although it wouldn’t be as lopsided as in years past, but in those nut cutting games against better teams from Alcoa, Knoxville West, and Oakland he would have taken an L just like Hunt is doing nowadays.

Maryville today is experiencing what Riverdale went through 15 years ago.  Eventually it will become the new norm and people will learn to accept it.  It’s not a knock.  Maryville is still great.  They are still going to win 10 or so games every year and be a Top 5 team.  If you think it’s 2000-2007 Maryville though you desperately need a reality check.  

In the meantime Alcoa’s going to need to build more trophy cases because they are going to really start to put a gap on Maryville as it relates to number of state championships won.  The part that is going to sting the most about it is that their head Coach leading the charge will be a Maryville grad.  Eventually this will take its toll and the players that Maryville “currently get” will become the players that Maryville “used to get” because they’ll all be going to Alcoa to win championships.  

Ask Oakland & Riverdale if that isn’t how it works.  Again I’m not trying to be a “Debbie Downer” and I’m not dogging on Maryville football.  What Quarles did at Maryville was one of the most amazing feats of its time.  It’s what Creasy is doing today at Oakland.  Nix will only continue to build and expand on what Reid & Rankin started and established at Alcoa.  

I will be at the state championships next weekend if anyone wants to stop by and have a conversation.  Great year Maryville.  Good Luck in the title games Oakland & Alcoa.  

I don't disagree with most of this, but Oakland has scheduled the way they have because no one will play them. No one wants to see them play schools like Liberty Creek or Antioch, but those kids deserve a full 10 game schedule just like everyone else  In a perfect world, I'd give the middle finger to the private schools and see Oakland in marquee, cross-sectional matchups. Unfortunately, you cant force teams to schedule you

Would have loved to have gotten more than just 2 matchups of Quarles v. Creasy

1 hour ago, howdoitknow said:

Hey…I don’t know about the accuracy of all of your extremely long post, but you are 100% wrong with your first statement about George.  You can believe that or not, but you’re wrong.

1 hour ago, howdoitknow said:

Interesting…but you are giving the old ball coach too much credit. I am a fan, but everybody doesn’t win wherever they go.

My question is how is okelund out recruiting the othe Nashville schools AND how is alco out recruiting the other ET schools? 

1 hour ago, MidTennFootball said:

In a perfect world, I'd give the middle finger to the private schools and see Oakland in marquee, cross-sectional matchups

that's not nice.  I think oakland is better for playing the privates and the privates are better for playing oakland.  the private schools are the only teams that can give them a run for their money.  

now for that return game at lipscomb...

7 minutes ago, theawesomebro said:

that's not nice.  I think oakland is better for playing the privates and the privates are better for playing oakland.  the private schools are the only teams that can give them a run for their money.  

now for that return game at lipscomb...

Neither is raiding the rosters of Metro schools, but I digress. Maybe it does make both better, but I'd rather support public schools. Perfectly fine with letting that loss eat at Dilfer from now till the end of time

4 hours ago, howdoitknow said:

Very interesting comments and their always great to hear from someone else's prospective. We all have speculated why GQ just up and left by surprise. I was always told by someone in the know when Gaylor and Ellis ever decided to leave that would mark the end of an era for Maryville High Football and GQ would know it was his time to go as well. The bad loss to Oakland in his last game along with the major drop off at the junior high that went from 65 man teams to 30 give or take a player for a couple of years could have possibly led to believe the pipeline was running dry, I know I sure did. Had it not been for the three that left Alcoa and came to Maryville plus the one from William Blount I'm positive we would have not won it in 2019. We were in the game with Oakland last year and one bad call on a fumble that wasn't changed that game in it's tracks and would have played out who had the ball last would have won so Oakland being superior to us doesn't play into the cards at all. There were a lot of things that fell onto this years team that actually should have been under close eye's last year and the biggest was the qb position. They had 2 qb's for the entire team with close to 90 players and one transferred that didn't come up through the system and what the kid learned from Shad done so much irreversible damage to change in one season. Maryville paid dearly by not being focused last year on key positions that would be open this year. I saw this in a 7 on 7 scrimmage with Anderson County that the receivers couldn't break away on routes and the defensive backs still wanted to be at the swimming pool with their girlfriends. We started out the year in the jamboree letting William Blount have false aspirations they were actually a decent football team. Then the Alcoa game told the truth on everything I had prewarned everyone in my circle on. Me and the barber agreed who and what would cost us that game and hit it right on the nose. The Cleveland game actually hurt me personally worse than any loss at all this year. The other three loses I expected. Now losing 9 of 11 defensive starters along with the entire offensive line plus a handful of receivers, 5-5 is a real possibility. This will be the most important winter in the past 25 years at MHS concerning the football program and every coach and player up there have their work cut out for them. 

9 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

Hey guys, just so I'm clear....  We aren't saying the problem is with Hunt and the other coaching staff, it's just that Maryville does not have the athletes anymore, is that right

A good part of it is due to that this year. The feeder system is full and promising. Personally there needs to be a well thought out plans going into next season. My advise for Derek is that sometimes we live in a picture we can't see for ourselves because we're in it. I would get people he trust that see the picture and get their advise. 

1 hour ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Very interesting comments and their always great to hear from someone else's prospective. We all have speculated why GQ just up and left by surprise. I was always told by someone in the know when Gaylor and Ellis ever decided to leave that would mark the end of an era for Maryville High Football and GQ would know it was his time to go as well. The bad loss to Oakland in his last game along with the major drop off at the junior high that went from 65 man teams to 30 give or take a player for a couple of years could have possibly led to believe the pipeline was running dry, I know I sure did. Had it not been for the three that left Alcoa and came to Maryville plus the one from William Blount I'm positive we would have not won it in 2019. We were in the game with Oakland last year and one bad call on a fumble that wasn't changed that game in it's tracks and would have played out who had the ball last would have won so Oakland being superior to us doesn't play into the cards at all. There were a lot of things that fell onto this years team that actually should have been under close eye's last year and the biggest was the qb position. They had 2 qb's for the entire team with close to 90 players and one transferred that didn't come up through the system and what the kid learned from Shad done so much irreversible damage to change in one season. Maryville paid dearly by not being focused last year on key positions that would be open this year. I saw this in a 7 on 7 scrimmage with Anderson County that the receivers couldn't break away on routes and the defensive backs still wanted to be at the swimming pool with their girlfriends. We started out the year in the jamboree letting William Blount have false aspirations they were actually a decent football team. Then the Alcoa game told the truth on everything I had prewarned everyone in my circle on. Me and the barber agreed who and what would cost us that game and hit it right on the nose. The Cleveland game actually hurt me personally worse than any loss at all this year. The other three loses I expected. Now losing 9 of 11 defensive starters along with the entire offensive line plus a handful of receivers, 5-5 is a real possibility. This will be the most important winter in the past 25 years at MHS concerning the football program and every coach and player up there have their work cut out for them. 

I agree Barn, let’s set that bar lower!! Lol. I hope for a few more wins, but there are some opportunities for new contributors. It depends on other teams as well. The Pats are no secret.