East Nashville @ Covington in 3A Semifinal

CHARGERFAN

So now the bracket is down to this. East Nashville will travel to Covington on Nov. 25 to determine who will advance to the 3A State Championship game. I don’t know much about East Nashville, so I assume that y’all will fill me in.

Covington offensively runs the wing-t. We have two pretty good running backs who power the ground game for us. Jamarion Dowell (Senior) is a Mr. Football semifinalist. His running mate, Skylan Smith, is a sophomore and has gaudy running stats like Dowell. Our quarterback, Braden Gover, is a junior. He can pass, but that’s not a big part of our offense. 

Covington is pretty good defensively. Dyersburg scored 10 points on us in the quarterfinal. Other than that, our D had only given up 19 total points against the 3A schools in our region this season. 

We welcome you visitors to Tipton County. Hope you get a chance to try West Tennessee BBQ while you are here.

Edited by CHARGERFAN

I've had time to compare the playoff records of these two schools. The data here is from the High School database, but I had to update their info to include records for 2021 and 2022.  Covington has much more playoff experience than East Nashville, but neither team has been able to win that elusive Gold Ball. 

PLAYOFF RECORD COMPARISON

(INCLUDING 2022)    
  EAST COVINGTON
  NASHVILLE  

OVERALL RECORD 12-10 51-25

APPEARANCES 11 25

1ST ROUND 7-4 18-6
2ND ROUND 2-5 16-3
3RD ROUND 2-0 11-5
SEMIFINALS 1-0 6-5
FINALS 0-1 0-6

9 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

So now the bracket is down to this. East Nashville will travel to Covington on Nov. 25 to determine who will advance to the 3A State Championship game. I don’t know much about East Nashville, so I assume that y’all will fill me in.

Covington offensively runs the wing-t. We have two pretty good running backs who power the ground game for us. Jamarion Dowell (Senior) is a Mr. Football semifinalist. His running mate, Skylan Smith, is a sophomore and has gaudy running stats like Dowell. Our quarterback, Braden Gover, is a junior. He can pass, but that’s not a big part of our offense. 

Covington is pretty good defensively. Dyersburg scored 10 points on us in the quarterfinal. Other than that, our D had only given up 19 total points against the 3A schools in our region this season. 

We welcome you visitors to Tipton County. Hope you get a chance to try West Tennessee BBQ while you are here.

21 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

I've had time to compare the playoff records of these two schools. The data here is from the High School database, but I had to update their info to include records for 2021 and 2022.  Covington has much more playoff experience than East Nashville, but neither team has been able to win that elusive Gold Ball. 

PLAYOFF RECORD COMPARISON

(INCLUDING 2022)    
  EAST COVINGTON
  NASHVILLE  

OVERALL RECORD 12-10 51-25

APPEARANCES 11 25

1ST ROUND 7-4 18-6
2ND ROUND 2-5 16-3
3RD ROUND 2-0 11-5
SEMIFINALS 1-0 6-5
FINALS 0-1 0-6

this should be a good one. Instant classic

45 minutes ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

You should know this answer work but it was fall of "08

The contrast between these two schools is amazing. EN is from the booming metro Nashville area. Covington is the county seat of rural Tipton County. 

East Nashville has been playing football since 2008, or 14 years. Covington High School was originally Byars-Hall High School. The name was changed to Covington High in 1970. Football began at Byars-Hall in 1921, so that’s 101 years. 

But, when I look at some sources that might point toward who is favored in this game, it appears to be a tossup. I’m looking forward to the matchup between the Chargers and the Eagles Friday night.

3 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

The contrast between these two schools is amazing. EN is from the booming metro Nashville area. Covington is the county seat of rural Tipton County. 

East Nashville has been playing football since 2008, or 14 years. Covington High School was originally Byars-Hall High School. The name was changed to Covington High in 1970. Football began at Byars-Hall in 1921, so that’s 101 years. 

But, when I look at some sources that might point toward who is favored in this game, it appears to be a tossup. I’m looking forward to the matchup between the Chargers and the Eagles Friday night.

Didnt know til last week that AC Young was on crutches and a few other key players out with injuries.  No doubt will have an effect on this game. You want all the bullets in the gun this time of year.