Knoxville West at Powell

WestHigh4Life

17 minutes ago, ILB1999WHS said:

Nah.  Same as Last year.  Last year they lost to oakland 24-14.  This year they lost 38-15.  I'd say Alcoa and West are up more than Maryville is down. 

Murvil is in a similar spot at this point in time  that all the other E. TN 6A teams have been in for so long relative to the Red Rebe;s.  Here is what I mean.  For example. let's just take region 2-6A.  Bearden had a good year/team, Farragut had a good year/team, DB had  the same, but deep down many of those kids know and all the fans coaches and admin know that the season is most likely over when they go to  the Black Hole and play the Red Rebels in the playoffs.  Doesn't mean they didn't have a good year, just that there is a juggernaut waiting for them in the state qtr final in Blount County.  It feels similar for Murvil at the point with regards to Oakland.  The difference is that Murvil is more likely to beat Oakland some times than your E. TN teams are to beating Murvil even in a "down" year.  

5 minutes ago, JohnnyUtah said:

Good is inbounds, video showed #4 with a late hit out of bounds... not a good hit, that wasn't called. West #2 was riding #22 out of bounds, after both hit the white line, #4 gave the extra shove to both players to go down well into the Powell sideline.

So like I stated earlier, if you only watched Matt you missed the entire sequence of the play.  

difference being the players are teenagers competing in a contact sport, ML is an adult trying to infuse himself into the play and draw a flag and create fake contact with a kid.  Plus, he came running down the sideline full speed to do so.  Face it Johnny, it was ugly, not a good look for the HC, especially on a broadcast with that many eyes on it. 

20 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

difference being the players are teenagers competing in a contact sport, ML is an adult trying to infuse himself into the play and draw a flag and create fake contact with a kid.  Plus, he came running down the sideline full speed to do so.  Face it Johnny, it was ugly, not a good look for the HC, especially on a broadcast with that many eyes on it. 

That's not competing, when both players were out of the field of play when the shove by #4 happened. I understand the spin, but kid got away with a personal foul late hit.   

And I'm not taking up for Lowe tossing his hands up either when #4 got close and raised his arms. But seems alot is being left off. I went back expecting something to rival Lowes slide at Halls a few years ago. 

Edited by JohnnyUtah
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, JohnnyUtah said:

Good is inbounds, video showed #4 with a late hit out of bounds... not a good hit, that wasn't called. West #2 was riding #22 out of bounds, after both hit the white line, #4 gave the extra shove to both players to go down well into the Powell sideline.

So like I stated earlier, if you only watched Matt you missed the entire sequence of the play.  

How you are describing the play, and what actually happened are two very different things.   If you truly believe there was a late hit or a  shove, it is clear you have never actually played the game of football.

Both of the west players are engaged with the ball carrier in-bounds.  While attempting to make the tackle, the ball carrier is driven out of bounds- perfectly legal play.   Even if you've never played football or tried to tackle someone yourself, a simple understanding of basic physics would tell you that just because the players cross that white line- their bodies do not suddenly stop moving and disengage with one another.   The ball carrier is a great athlete moving at full speed, the two defenders are also great athletes moving at full speed- That is ALOT of force being built up and asserted up until they go out of bounds. Obviously momentum is going to carry them all a few feet out of bounds. I would assume the 3 kids are stronger and faster than your average player too- so they'll probably go a couple of feet further than the average player.  I think that's called inertia?  (something like that at least)  Anyways though.... 

Your comments had me bewildered, so I spent far too much time watching the play on diamond clear media (which is a terrible system to rewind and fast-forward for a few short seconds btw) and over analyzing those few short seconds.  You can see the two west players perfectly clear.

Yes - they are fighting to make the tackle while in bounds, but at no point after crossing the white line does either player assert any type of additional physical force.  Also, if you actually take the time to look at the bend and angles of their bodies, assuming you have a basic understanding of how anatomy operates through fundamental movement, it is perfectly clear that both players "hit the breaks" when they go out of bounds.  There is zero level change, zero knee drive, zero upper body movement like an attempt to wrap, slam, twist or do anything else that would be considered dirty.  

What you are calling a late push- could also be described as someone putting their arms down.  His hands are up with arms bent as he's attempting to make the tackle- That's his arm position while in bounds. Obviously his arms have to come down at some point.   I'll admit, if you wanted to argue what he did was a push- some overzealous parents may have a valid debate if that movement was done on the playground at pre-school- but this was the semi-finals of a high school football game- he was pushing the ball carrier in the exact same manner while in bounds a fraction of a second before that-which is perfectly legal.  

Even if I gave you the point that what he did was in fact an additional push, I am 100% confident that that specific "shove" would not knock over my 3 year old granddaughter. To try and imply that what he did was malicious or unsportsmanlike in anyways is incredibly dishonest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sx1234 said:

How you are describing the play, and what actually happened are two very different things.   If you truly believe there was a late hit or a  shove, it is clear you have never actually played the game of football.

Both of the west players are engaged with the ball carrier in-bounds.  While attempting to make the tackle, the ball carrier is driven out of bounds- perfectly legal play.   Even if you've never played football or tried to tackle someone yourself, a simple understanding of basic physics would tell you that just because the players cross that white line- their bodies do not suddenly stop moving and disengage with one another.   The ball carrier is a great athlete moving at full speed, the two defenders are also great athletes moving at full speed- That is ALOT of force being built up and asserted up until they go out of bounds. Obviously momentum is going to carry them all a few feet out of bounds. I would assume the 3 kids are stronger and faster than your average player too- so they'll probably go a couple of feet further than the average player.  I think that's called inertia?  (something like that at least)  Anyways though.... 

Your comments had me bewildered, so I spent far too much time watching the play on diamond clear media (which is a terrible system to rewind and fast-forward for a few short seconds btw) and over analyzing those few short seconds.  You can see the two west players perfectly clear.

Yes - they are fighting to make the tackle while in bounds, but at no point after crossing the white line does either player assert any type of additional physical force.  Also, if you actually take the time to look at the bend and angles of their bodies, assuming you have a basic understanding of how anatomy operates through fundamental movement, it is perfectly clear that both players "hit the breaks" when they go out of bounds.  There is zero level change, zero knee drive, zero upper body movement like an attempt to wrap, slam, twist or do anything else that would be considered dirty.  

What you are calling a late push- could also be described as someone putting their arms down.  His hands are up with arms bent as he's attempting to make the tackle- That's his arm position while in bounds. Obviously his arms have to come down at some point.   I'll admit, if you wanted to argue what he did was a push- some overzealous parents may have a valid debate if that movement was done on the playground at pre-school- but this was the semi-finals of a high school football game- he was pushing the ball carrier in the exact same manner while in bounds a fraction of a second before that-which is perfectly legal.  

Even if I gave you the point that what he did was in fact an additional push, I am 100% confident that that specific "shove" would not knock over my 3 year old granddaughter. To try and imply that what he did was malicious or unsportsmanlike in anyways is incredibly dishonest.

Nicely written! Played at Powell and #2 had #22 wrapped up out of bounds as you said. #4 pushed/late hit both outside the field of play both players went into the Powell sidelines-- no flag. Video does not lie. 

Strong 3 year old granddaughter for the record, if she can withstand what #2 and #22 could not by that shove. 

13 minutes ago, JohnnyUtah said:

Watched it numerous times. Late hit/push out of bounds. Real talk

None of that has anything to do with HCML pulling a flop, a fake fall, trying to draw a flag on an opposing player.  You're missing the point.  There was no flag, no penalty called and there is not going to be one.  It's more about the embarrassing coach flop that was caught and featured on tv complete with replay.  

18 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

None of that has anything to do with HCML pulling a flop, a fake fall, trying to draw a flag on an opposing player.  You're missing the point.  There was no flag, no penalty called and there is not going to be one.  It's more about the embarrassing coach flop that was caught and featured on tv complete with replay.  

Didn't say it did. Just stating the late hit that was left out in the story. I've watched the video numerous times, where did Lowe hit the ground on the flop? Saw where #4 backed into him (Lowe) hands up and #4 hand made contact with his face but don't see the "flop" or "flop on the ground"  Not saying Lowe didn't try to sell it, but not seeing a flop