Knoxville West at Powell

WestHigh4Life

11 hours ago, HTV said:

He ran his mouth from the first play of the game. He was fortunate to only get flagged once. 

11 was giving as much as he was getting all game.  Go back and watch him bark his first TD.  Both players barked all night.  Two good teams - two strong willed group of players - gonna be some chirping.  Glad to see West’s coaches staying composed to keep their team on task and focused for the win.  

10 hours ago, MeritIII said:

11 was giving as much as he was getting all game.  Go back and watch him bark his first TD.  Both players barked all night.  Two good teams - two strong willed group of players - gonna be some chirping.  Glad to see West’s coaches staying composed to keep their team on task and focused for the win.  

Absolutely he was.  And I never said both teams weren't talking.  

The biggest difference was that 11 was doing it without getting in the face and making gestures.  

Football is just a different game from that standpoint in this day and time.  Coaches and officials have to be diligent not to let it get out of hand.  And I still stand by my assertion that much of it is brought on by the east of bantering through social media.  

• Upvote 2

I’m not going to say Lowe will ever leave (again), but he’s Powell born and raised. Gave Powell some the best years as a player and gave the only gold ball in school history. His personality today was the same as a player, you wanted him on your team. His personality/style isn’t for everyone but he only coaches for that small section of Emory Road. He’ll recruit just like the rest of Knoxville, not sure he’ll get a collection of talent together like the last few years but he’ll try. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, JohnnyUtah said:

I’m not going to say Lowe will ever leave (again), but he’s Powell born and raised. Gave Powell some the best years as a player and gave the only gold ball in school history. His personality today was the same as a player, you wanted him on your team. His personality/style isn’t for everyone but he only coaches for that small section of Emory Road. He’ll recruit just like the rest of Knoxville, not sure he’ll get a collection of talent together like the last few years but he’ll try. 

Well said. As far as next season goes, Powell will definitely take a step back, but I think they could surprise some folks. Losing Potts and that incredibly talented group of WRs will be painful, but they have pieces to build around. The OL is relatively young, #2 is an intriguing prospect at QB (just a freshman), they bring back both RBs (#13 and #3), and they have a very reliable punter/kicker (#16). Defensively, they'll get 6 or 7 starters back (including Soles).

It won't be a Chattanooga or bust season, but they'll definitely be competitive if they can get some production from the new QB.

14 hours ago, MeritIII said:

They were both doing it, no question. The only difference that I saw was the gesture from #8 that led to the flag. Credit to both teams for not letting the trash talk get too out of hand. I've seen some previous Powell teams self-destruct with that crap.

9 hours ago, JohnnyUtah said:

I will give CML all credit due him - I have never seen a coach flop for a call like he did on their first drive - it's pretty bad when you gets called out on it.  Seems he coaches to beg the officials on every play as well - hope that works out for him in the future.  

Edited by FBKarma

On 11/27/2022 at 8:58 AM, HTV said:

Absolutely he was.  And I never said both teams weren't talking.  

The biggest difference was that 11 was doing it without getting in the face and making gestures.  

Football is just a different game from that standpoint in this day and time.  Coaches and officials have to be diligent not to let it get out of hand.  And I still stand by my assertion that much of it is brought on by the east of bantering through social media.  

Nah.  Soles gave the throat slash in front of the whole world on the second or third play of the game.  If they're not calling that, they shouldn't call anything.

On 11/27/2022 at 3:08 PM, FBKarma said:

I will give CML all credit due him - I have never seen a coach flop for a call like he did on their first drive - it's pretty bad when you gets called out on it.  Seems he coaches to beg the officials on every play as well - hope that works out for him in the future.  

That was terrible.  Acting like a kid hit you when nothing could be further from the truth?  Not the actions of a "good man".  Just embaressing.

17 hours ago, ILB1999WHS said:

That was terrible.  Acting like a kid hit you when nothing could be further from the truth?  Not the actions of a "good man".  Just embaressing.

It was bad, and he came running full speed down the sideline to get into position for the flop! Even the tv announcers called it out and were laughing at him.  It looked to me like the receivers would flop and throw their hands up looking for a flag almost every time they didn't come down with the football.  The one P.I. late in the game called on  #8 for West,  there was zero contact, none,  total flop. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

It was bad, and he came running full speed down the sideline to get into position for the flop! Even the tv announcers called it out and were laughing at him.  It looked to me like the receivers would flop and throw their hands up looking for a flag almost every time they didn't come down with the football.  The one P.I. late in the game called on  #8 for West,  there was zero contact, none,  total flop. 

I believe he was called for unsportsmanlike conduct after the play.   Either way, it was the only inconsistent call of the night I thought.  And to anyone that says the call was the only time a player used hand signals, or got in the opponents face with the taunting, you are clearly watched this game through rose-tinted glasses as that stuff was going on the entire night (and the refs were almost consistent the entire night of keeping questionable situations as no-calls- accept for this one single play).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ILB1999WHS said:

I missed the start of the game Friday night, so I went back and watched it on Diamond Clear Media to see what you were talking about.... and WOW that was bad and extremely embarrassing.

• Like 1