Knoxville West at Powell

WestHigh4Life

3 hours ago, BCsportsfan said:

"Guaranteed Gold Ball in 3A".  There are no guarantees. Ask Tennessee about needing "style points" as a focus instead of a "one game at a time" attitude?

But, the mere down play that winning a 3A championship should not mean much...cause it's "guaranteed" is laughable. It is not laughable to the players that spent all winter lifting weights, Spring on the field practicing....all summer in 90+ degrees in full pads. But, your view is that without a thread, there's not any interest? sad.

It's not the players fault that a 683 student enrollment and 65 players puts them in 3A. Why should they be required to play bigger schools for a championship? Just so there will be a thread on Coacht?

murvul had no problem winning championships all those years in 4A. People on Coacht whined all the time...."Maryville needs to move up and play "big boy football". Remember how you felt? ......like your wins did not mean anything cause it was "too easy" or "guaranteed"?  Sad, how soon you forget.......

Do I need to start a thread about playing a pitiful team, and stating that "our little fellers" will probably lose by 101.6 points over and over?  Then, once the thread is created, have to listen to fans of the same team whine about concession stand food....having to buy tickets on a computer or phone....OR, whine about the quality of the team's broadcast streaming???

Nah, not worth it........

All Maryville fans I knew wanted to move up for years … can’t see how you wouldn’t love to play some more competitive games … if I was in your shoes I’d love getting to play Greeneville, Elizabethton , Anderson County, Fulton … btw , I’m not bashing Alcoa for not doing it , I know they’re playing by the rules . I’m not calling anyone scared , I think Alcoa would dominate 4A too , I just think there would be a lot more fun , competitive games for you guys that would bring a lot more money . 

On 11/19/2022 at 7:17 PM, 92Dragon said:

You're aware yet you think Powell will score 35 points? You could be right. We'll see I guess.

West defense has always been really good.  Powell played them in 2020 when this senior class was Sophomores, and West had not let up a TD yet for the season, and Powell scored 27 (lost though) and last year same thing.  West defense was really good and Powell put up 35 (and won)  I expect a high scoring game, I don't believe either defense can stop each other.  JMO

11 hours ago, pepvol said:

All Maryville fans I knew wanted to move up for years … can’t see how you wouldn’t love to play some more competitive games … if I was in your shoes I’d love getting to play Greeneville, Elizabethton , Anderson County, Fulton … btw , I’m not bashing Alcoa for not doing it , I know they’re playing by the rules . I’m not calling anyone scared , I think Alcoa would dominate 4A too , I just think there would be a lot more fun , competitive games for you guys that would bring a lot more money . 

I agree with you. Especially if Alcoa did not load it's out of region schedule. But they do. They have a highly competitive schedule most all years. They have tried to get the teams listed on the schedule also. But, at the end of the day, Alcoa is still a true 3A school. The players should be able to compete for a state championship within their classification. 

40 minutes ago, keepitmoving said:

West defense has always been really good.  Powell played them in 2020 when this senior class was Sophomores, and West had not let up a TD yet for the season, and Powell scored 27 (lost though) and last year same thing.  West defense was really good and Powell put up 35 (and won)  I expect a high scoring game, I don't believe either defense can stop each other.  JMO

Why were Clinton and Lenoir City so effective against the Powell attack?

1 minute ago, ILB1999WHS said:

Clinton game Coach Lowe was not turning QB lose yet because of injury, and Lenoir city game that dam wing T was killing Powell.  Powell had the ball maybe 6 or 7 times all game and scored on 5 of them, and it didn't help that Powell scored quick against LC and then Powell could not get LC offense off the field.  LC did a good job at getting 4-6 yards a clip and bleeding the clock.  

55 minutes ago, keepitmoving said:

Clinton game Coach Lowe was not turning QB lose yet because of injury, and Lenoir city game that dam wing T was killing Powell.  Powell had the ball maybe 6 or 7 times all game and scored on 5 of them, and it didn't help that Powell scored quick against LC and then Powell could not get LC offense off the field.  LC did a good job at getting 4-6 yards a clip and bleeding the clock.  

What did QB lose?

and if you had issues stopping LC running the ball, might be a long night for Plow defensively. 

2 hours ago, ILB1999WHS said:

That Clinton game was weird. Every time it felt like Powell was going to run away with it, they'd have a drive-killing penalty or Keith would make an incredible play with his legs. Clinton had their own penalty issues in that game and found a way to stay close the entire night. Potts wasn't quite 100% at that point either.

I'm not sure what to make of LC, especially that late in the year. I'd been telling folks all season that they were improved, and they very much are. They were able to limit the number of possessions for Powell by sustaining a few long drives.

Both of these teams are going to score. I just think West gets a few more stops than Powell.