Has George Quarles Been Exposed??

chs1984

6 hours ago, noonesfool said:

My wife and I are season ticket holders at ETSU. We travel one way 450 miles to watch the games. 1 season???? He hasn’t had a chance to play with his own players yet, He basically does not have his own staff yet. Not only did players graduate but some key players left through the portal. At half time of the first game, I said it is going to be a long year. Most fans watch the ball, I watch the lines and we were not very good up front and we did not get better. I’m sure Coach will try to solve the line issue through Jr. College and the Transfer Portal. Recruited Offensive linemen take about 2 years to develop. Coach needs a minimum of 2 more years. I cannot wait to renew my tickets. GO BUCS!

ETSU was certainly over-ranked at the beginning of the season (#9 ranking in FCS after week 1), but I didn't expect them to struggle as much as they did. Reminded me a lot of the 2019 team, which really struggled after their 2018 playoff berth. Not sure how much of that is on Quarles, but next year is going to be interesting. Torbush retired after year 3, and Randy Sanders did the same after year 4, so they really need a HC to stick around.

My wife is an alum, and we proudly drive up from Knoxville to support the Bucs!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, osunut2 said:

ETSU was certainly over-ranked at the beginning of the season (#9 ranking in FCS after week 1), but I didn't expect them to struggle as much as they did. Reminded me a lot of the 2019 team, which really struggled after their 2018 playoff berth. Not sure how much of that is on Quarles, but next year is going to be interesting. Torbush retired after year 3, and Randy Sanders did the same after year 4, so they really need a HC to stick around.

My wife is an alum, and we proudly drive up from Knoxville to support the Bucs!

We were definitely over ranked. The other issue was depth with our 2nd half collapses. If I had any issues with Coach, I’m not sure what was his brand. It was very vanilla.

Edited by noonesfool

19 hours ago, rebeldevil said:

The scary thing about GQ coming back to Maryville and coaching football would be if someone in the county woke up and finally said we are going to do what we have to do to hire him and not let money be an issue. Replacing the cussing coach with GQ would be a heck of a deal for the county because with the little success they had this year would have been much more successful with GQ.  I will give the cussing coach credit, he did prove that Heritage is not dead and with GQ in charge they could be a monster to deal with because the one thing that would happen with GQ that Osovet can not do and that is get the transfers. 

F’n hairtage 

This has nothing to do with GQ but for me ETSU lost all credibility many years ago when they abolished the football program over lack of support. To me personally GQ would stand a better chance at Chattanooga recruiting out of Georgia then Johnson City. Look at Science Hill High school for example, no one comes to the games. Seen to much on social media so far from fans there for GQ to have a fighting chance. Sanders got out and knew what he would lose if he came back for another year. Far as Maryville goes Derek Hunt is the coach and will be for long as he wants. I can't blame him for the lack of great athletes we once had which did show this year and to be back in the final four I would have called you a liar to your face but here we are again. Derek will have a lot of things to address this winter and some tough decisions to make but the pipeline isn't empty by no means. We've just never been down this avenue before and I'm sure he don't want to go down it anymore either.

Edited by BarneySox2007

2 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

This has nothing to do with GQ but for me ETSU lost all credibility many years ago when they abolished the football program over lack of support. To me personally GQ would stand a better chance at Chattanooga recruiting out of Georgia then Johnson City. Look at Science Hill High school for example, no one comes to the games. Seen to much on social media so far from fans there for GQ to have a fighting chance. Sanders got out and knew what he would lose if he came back for another year.

Maybe I'm somewhat bitter, but I'll always argue that both Chattanooga and ETSU have a somewhat impossible task because UTK monopolizes the college football "product" in East Tennessee. And I don't mean that from a talent standpoint, but mostly from a fandom standpoint. Not sure how it is over in the mid-state, but we absolutely marginalize ETSU, Chattanooga, Carson-Newman (post Ken Sparks), Tusculum, etc in this time zone. I've seen my wife get ridiculed on multiple occasions at the grocery store for wearing an ETSU alumni shirt as opposed to orange/white on Saturdays in the fall. I certainly understand why I get a hard time for wearing my Buckeye gear around here, but give me a break.

There are plenty of states that have perennially successful FCS, D2, and D3 football programs. Tennessee just isn't one of them. It certainly would help if the residents of the tri-cities would collectively get behind ETSU. That was part of what killed the program in the first place. I take my wife and kids up to Johnson City to support the program, but I'm still not entirely convinced that the local communities have bought in. I've had multiple folks tell me that more Johnson City residents will make the drive to Knoxville for a Tennessee game rather than attend an ETSU home game. Not sure if the same is true at Chattanooga, but that wouldn't surprise me.

4 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

This has nothing to do with GQ but for me ETSU lost all credibility many years ago when they abolished the football program over lack of support. To me personally GQ would stand a better chance at Chattanooga recruiting out of Georgia then Johnson City. Look at Science Hill High school for example, no one comes to the games. Seen to much on social media so far from fans there for GQ to have a fighting chance. Sanders got out and knew what he would lose if he came back for another year. Far as Maryville goes Derek Hunt is the coach and will be for long as he wants. I can't blame him for the lack of great athletes we once had which did show this year and to be back in the final four I would have called you a liar to your face but here we are again. Derek will have a lot of things to address this winter and some tough decisions to make but the pipeline isn't empty by no means. We've just never been down this avenue before and I'm sure he don't want to go down it anymore either.

Once upon a time Science Hill did have somewhat of a fanbase, late 80's, throughout the whole 90's somewhere between 2002-2003 give or take what Maryville is to football, Science Hill was to basketball, without as many titles and straight championship games. During that 15 or so span the toppers do have around 5 state titles and maybe 8 final 4 appearances, I think their 95 team finished 6th in the nation that year and some would argue that their 94 team was better they just didn't get the recognition because the 95 team beat the #1 rank team in Oak Hill. During that span the Arby's classic was rank the #2 tourny in the country and if you wasn't there an hour before Science Hill played you wasn't getting a seat. They had their special game chant and everybody would follow along and they would have that 6-8k venue rocking, now we can see they were fair weather fans. It's hard to believe because they don't have any support now that once upon a time they had somewhat of a fanbase 

4 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

https://www.johnsoncitypress.com/sports/oak-hill-matchup-was-a-boon-to-science-hill-on-the-court-and-off/article_f473ff1b-2f0e-50b7-958a-15ae9471d733.html

1 hour ago, StarBright87 said:

Once upon a time Science Hill did have somewhat of a fanbase, late 80's, throughout the whole 90's somewhere between 2002-2003 give or take what Maryville is to football, Science Hill was to basketball, without as many titles and straight championship games. During that 15 or so span the toppers do have around 5 state titles and maybe 8 final 4 appearances, I think their 95 team finished 6th in the nation that year and some would argue that their 94 team was better they just didn't get the recognition because the 95 team beat the #1 rank team in Oak Hill. During that span the Arby's classic was rank the #2 tourny in the country and if you wasn't there an hour before Science Hill played you wasn't getting a seat. They had their special game chant and everybody would follow along and they would have that 6-8k venue rocking, now we can see they were fair weather fans. It's hard to believe because they don't have any support now that once upon a time they had somewhat of a fanbase 

https://jcnewsandneighbor.com/science-hills-carter-had-kentuckys-number-during-tennessee-career/

:popcorneater:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Mr. Barney I agree 100%. Coach Quarles was the runner-up at Chattanooga when they hired their current coach, but consistent with their history, they made the wrong decision. I did not mean this thread to show disrespect to Maryville or Maryville posters, particularly you, who along with Midtennfootball, are, to me, the most respected posters on this board.