Rankings

MidTennBballObserver

46 minutes ago, MidTennBballObserver said:

Do us a favor on here and let’s talk once White County makes it to the state tournament.  They had a good win tonight and so did Cookeville.  Congratulations it is not even Christmas.  I do think Cavs have a better shot to make it back than do the warriors.

One of the White County Fans posts on here a lot and he complains about their ball handling a lot. Sounds like they got a solid team if they handle ball pressure. If you don’t handle ball pressure you won’t  make it far. Very good win though for White County. Congratulations on a solid win!!

Edited by pioneer42
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LadyCavsFan said:

Cookeville takes down another team on the list.  Oakland not belong either?   Cookeville destroys White County last week…”WC don’t belong on list”.  WC spanks Upperman tonight….let me guess.   :roll:

When Cookeville wins a single game at the state tournament then as a fan I’d start talking. As for whether or not they are top 20 in the state it’s hard to say. Especially when you count the private schools. Upperman clearly isn’t either after the shellacking they took in White County. If it’s going to happen better now than in February. However White County was just better so give them credit where it’s do. I hope Cookeville wins a state championship!  Then we can brag. Being top 20 in an online poll won’t win you anything nor will anyone remember it. 

8 minutes ago, UCSportsFan said:

When Cookeville wins a single game at the state tournament then as a fan I’d start talking. As for whether or not they are top 20 in the state it’s hard to say. Especially when you count the private schools. Upperman clearly isn’t either after the shellacking they took in White County. If it’s going to happen better now than in February. However White County was just better so give them credit where it’s do. I hope Cookeville wins a state championship!  Then we can brag. Being top 20 in an online poll won’t win you anything nor will anyone remember it. 

It’s just silly that people on here would say stuff like…shouldn’t be on the list….didn’t even know they were on the list…definitely should not be ranked above White county….Upperman should be ranked higher and Cookeville should not be ranked……No way Cookeville is even in the conversation as a top 20 team.  

Seriously??  Let us remember why….  32-2 last season.  Lost in state tournament semifinal.  Return two of their best players and an unbelievable freshman class.   I am not going to get on here and say they belong in the top 5 or whatever.  That will be decided in March.  But the disrespect is just crazy!   They play anybody, anywhere!  They don’t hide from anyone.  They show up every night, play great defense, and you better bring you A game if you think you are going to get a win.  Ok venting over….

10 hours ago, LadyCavsFan said:

It’s just silly that people on here would say stuff like…shouldn’t be on the list….didn’t even know they were on the list…definitely should not be ranked above White county….Upperman should be ranked higher and Cookeville should not be ranked……No way Cookeville is even in the conversation as a top 20 team.  

Seriously??  Let us remember why….  32-2 last season.  Lost in state tournament semifinal.  Return two of their best players and an unbelievable freshman class.   I am not going to get on here and say they belong in the top 5 or whatever.  That will be decided in March.  But the disrespect is just crazy!   They play anybody, anywhere!  They don’t hide from anyone.  They show up every night, play great defense, and you better bring you A game if you think you are going to get a win.  Ok venting over….

I’ll say this much Cookeville is better than it’s ever been in my memory. That is a direct reflection on this coaching staff because I’ve always felt Cookeville had some great athletes some great women’s basketball players but they never were able to really compete even at the region level which always boggled my mind. 

On 12/10/2022 at 12:07 AM, LadyCavsFan said:

Cookeville had a tremendous season last year. It is always a great experience playing in the glass house. However, last year means very little this year and no one remembers who lost in the semifinals last year. Returning two great players is always nice but you need more. I am not even going to get into having a great freshman class. Cookeville has a tough schedule this season. You are probably right that they are not hiding. However, they are not looking either. No Coffee County, no Bradley, no one from outside of the general middle Tennessee area. And showing up every night, how did the Blackman game go????? Don't vent over respect. It is earned over a period of time. Polls mean nothing except a means to getting people worked up over. How about starting with winning the district this year and going from there. 

1 hour ago, workinprogress said:

Cookeville had a tremendous season last year. It is always a great experience playing in the glass house. However, last year means very little this year and no one remembers who lost in the semifinals last year. Returning two great players is always nice but you need more. I am not even going to get into having a great freshman class. Cookeville has a tough schedule this season. You are probably right that they are not hiding. However, they are not looking either. No Coffee County, no Bradley, no one from outside of the general middle Tennessee area. And showing up every night, how did the Blackman game go????? Don't vent over respect. It is earned over a period of time. Polls mean nothing except a means to getting people worked up over. How about starting with winning the district this year and going from there. 

You are missing the point.    I posted the comments that were made.   None of which were justified. 

In regards to the schedule,  we travel 2 hours (1hr both directions) EVERY district game we play.  We played almost all of our games last year in Knoxville/Nashville areas.   That's rough for fans and teams (imagine how early you leave for Eastern time zone game with a 2 hour drive).   We did schedule a few of the 7AAA teams locally this season and I am glad.   I mean they are the best AAA district in the state.  Right?  That's probably the most competitive games we could get in the mid TN area without traveling an hour.  And we are playing Oakland, Blackman, Lipscomb, and York of which all of the teams were in the glass house last year.   We also added Warren County which many expected to be one of the top AAAA teams in middle TN but haven't played that way of yet.   I think we were scheduled to play like 8 games vs teams on the original Top 20 list.  Take a look at our schedule and look at the ranked teams we play.  Then take a look at other schedules and compare.  The schedule speaks for itself but I would have loved to have seen us play CC and BC personally.  

As for the Blackman game,  we just were not ready for that game as the first game of the season.  We lost a starter with a season ending injury days before the game and we were playing more freshmen than planned really early in a huge game.   They just weren't ready for that game and Blackman is too good of a team for that to happen.  It was a very close game the first half and got away from them in the 3rd.    The team that is playing now is no where near the team that showed up that night.   I believe the rematch in Jan will be a battle for 4 qtrs but Blackman was by far the better team that night.  But we have way too many tough games before then.   Like tonight vs York which is a game that we could easily lose if we don't play our best.

Edited by LadyCavsFan

I get the point. My point was not to get too worked up over it. There can always be negative comments, polls that are flawed for various reasons, biased opinions, etc. As an outsider with no dog in the hunt, Cookeville had a great run last season. Just win and try your best not to worry about things you cannot control. Good luck tonight.