True or False: You have to run a pro-style offense and throw 100 times per game

blazer1set

5 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

True or False:  You have to run a pro-style offense and throw 100 times per game... ?

Is it possible for a high school team to make it to the title game by doing something as mundane as running it 95% of the plays?

Lol I would say yes as West just showed but your 5% better count 

Not sure if they're gonna hold on against Bartlett, but have you watched Beech play before. I may be exaggerating a little but they run 6 plays and 5 of them are runs. Also, Oakland and Maryville rely on the run game as well. So yes, you can make it AND WIN a state title game running the ball. And those are just a few examples of teams at our states highest public level. I'm fairly confident that in most years the qb play isn't as good in smaller classifications as it is in the larger divisions. And yes, I realize they're are outliers like Simpson last year at Westview, but I think you get the point.

This thread was just a though exercise.    There are some who think you can't win in high school unless you are slinging it all over the field.     I'm just wondering, unless you had an exceptional QB and receivers (all D1 prospects) would it be better to spend most of practice time learning something simpler, run blocking and running and build a solid offense out of that?    "Simpler" in the preceding sentence just means less moving parts to the play.      I dunno guys, I see so many high schools who come out of each huddle and line up in dozens of different formations and so forth....   and most of those teams were sitting at home eating turkey leftovers yesterday.      How many pass plays does Oakland have?    What about Knox West?      That's right, they line up and concentrate on doing ONE singular thing well instead of trying to complicate it so much.       I remember about 10 years ago watching the 6 playoff games in Cookeville, it was weird because that year Maryville was the only game where a team passed more than 5 times.     These are high school kids, not elite NFL players.        Well I've had my say, as always please respond with dissenting views.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blazer1set said:

This thread was just a though exercise.    There are some who think you can't win in high school unless you are slinging it all over the field.     I'm just wondering, unless you had an exceptional QB and receivers (all D1 prospects) would it be better to spend most of practice time learning something simpler, run blocking and running and build a solid offense out of that?    "Simpler" in the preceding sentence just means less moving parts to the play.      I dunno guys, I see so many high schools who come out of each huddle and line up in dozens of different formations and so forth....   and most of those teams were sitting at home eating turkey leftovers yesterday.      How many pass plays does Oakland have?    What about Knox West?      That's right, they line up and concentrate on doing ONE singular thing well instead of trying to complicate it so much.       I remember about 10 years ago watching the 6 playoff games in Cookeville, it was weird because that year Maryville was the only game where a team passed more than 5 times.     These are high school kids, not elite NFL players.        Well I've had my say, as always please respond with dissenting views.

Play to your teams strengths. If you have a D1 QB and 4 D1 WR’s then yeah I’d prolly throw it 70% of the time. If it’s you me and two other posters playing receiver then I’d focus on not throwing it.

4 hours ago, 731Ball said:

Play to your teams strengths. If you have a D1 QB and 4 D1 WR’s then yeah I’d prolly throw it 70% of the time. If it’s you me and two other posters playing receiver then I’d focus on not throwing it.

This can't be stated enough. Trying to achieve balance for the sake of balance will get you beat. Good coaches fit their scheme around their personnel and not the other way around. If you can run the ball and play well in the trenches, your going to be really good every year. It may not always be pretty, but it'll win championships

Thanks for the responses guys.      99% of TN high school teams do not have a D1 QB or D1 receivers, and yet the coaches still want them to play like Tom Brady.      These kids are still trying to learn what the cosine of theta has to do with the War of 1812, they do not have the luxury of being able to spend all day every day studying computer animated play sequences, looking at defensive schemes and adjusting, etc.      And yet most HS coaches try to install offenses that focus on dozens of formations and....    well you get the idea.     I agree that you design the offense around your strengths as per personnel, but my suspicion is that 99% of teams are making it way too complicated and trying to mimic their favorite NFL team.     Someone mentioned above that Oakland did not complete a single pass last night against Maryville...  huh????   And yet they are going to the title game next week.